Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
As far as I understand, no show is if someone don't show up at all without any communication to the hotel, and the hotel can't charge an already paid in full reservation.
This is not the definition of a no-show. THis happened to me this week in fact. I was extremely delayed...called the hotel when i had a better sense of when i would arrive, arrived at 3AM and checked in no problem. This is for a hotel i've stayed at almost every week for the last 9 months. But because i checked in after they ran the 2AM night audit, guess what my bill said today. one night of "no show room" and two nights of room charge. I actually did use the room three nights so didn't dispute, but these things are actually pretty automated.

Now a few weeks ago i ended up being delayed a day, same thing happened, and the front desk clerk reversed the no show charge when i checked out since i was delayed due to a cancelled flight. but "no show" does not mean "never show for the entire reservation."
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boolean64
This is not the definition of a no-show.
Says who? a computer? Just because some algorithm classifies a set of events as a "no show" does not make it so. Maybe to the computer system used by the hotel it is considered a "no show". Maybe even to the hotel but what really matters is what the legal definition of "no show" is and whether a contract between the hotel and guest implicitly includes this legal definition of "no show" (presuming it is not explicitly disclosed somewhere).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sean1397
Most hotels would care about their reputation as only so many people in the world will pay 1-4k/night but this is the nicest hotel with a well known name on the slopes of Aspen.
Actually, the St Regis is only #9 /34 hotels in Aspen on TripAdvisor. Not a very good rank. You have an Hyatt Residence Club with a better ranking (it's even closer to the gondola by the way). And you even have an Ascend Collection (Choice hotels !) with a better ranking as well.
If I came back in Aspen area and want to stay in a Marriott hotel I will just chose the Westin Snowmass. At least it's cheaper, I won't have too much expectation about the hotel itself, it's a ski-in ski-out hotel and Snowmass is bigger (and IMO better) than Aspen/Ajax. Or maybe the new W depending of the reviews...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Hmm this is a strange case.. What about all these folks who go to Thailand/Somewhere and wants to secure a room early in the morning when they arrive at 8AM so they book a room for the previous day but check in at 8AM instead of waiting until 3PM. Will Marriott consider that to be a no show lol if you let the hotel know of your late check in? The property will no matter get its revenue, win-win everybody happy? It feels something here is processed automatically by the system and causes this mess. I stumbled upon this article today https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/03/14/...ce-april-2019/ with further info about Marriott and its so called epic internal systems.

Not sure what time OP checked in the 2nd day but the fee $ above points is awkward.

Last edited by joakgarp; Mar 14, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Hmm this is a strange case.. What about all these folks who go to Thailand/Somewhere and wants to secure a room early in the morning when they arrive at 8AM so they book a room for the previous day but check in at 8AM instead of waiting until 3PM. Will Marriott consider that to be a no show lol if you let the hotel know of your late check in?
I raised this point earlier, but with London coming to mind.

Of course, look, I think the issue here comes down to (1) the original poster didn't check-in using the application and (2) the hotel failed to communicate its purported policy and then subsequently failed to use commonsense to resolve this matter, which admittedly may have been caused by an automated or semi-automated audit.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:14 pm

So... does the same principle apply if I check out early?

I have often checked out early having booked an extra night due to a late flight - never crossed my mind that I could be charged ( I haven’t been, for the record).

But by the hotels logic, surely it is the exact same “loss” (for want of a more appropriate/true phrase) as me arriving a day late?

or am I missing something?

genuine question
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Hmm this is a strange case.. What about all these folks who go to Thailand/Somewhere and wants to secure a room early in the morning when they arrive at 8AM so they book a room for the previous day but check in at 8AM instead of waiting until 3PM. Will Marriott consider that to be a no show lol if you let the hotel know of your late check in? The property will no matter get its revenue, win-win everybody happy? It feels something here is processed automatically by the system and causes this mess. I stumbled upon this article today https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/03/14/...ce-april-2019/ with further info about Marriott and its so called epic internal systems.
I think it’s really a problem when using points; if paying cash, it would make no difference (unless the “no-show” fee were for some reason higher than the nightly rate plus taxes).

I understand that a hotel needs to get paid, but it seems unconscionable to me that a hotel can simply refund the points and charge the nightly cash rate, especially when the late arrival is not OP’s fault and OP reached out to the hotel to let it know. Not to mention the fact that the hotel didn’t actively disclose the charge to OP at any time but (presumably) hoped OP wouldn’t notice.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Just for the record, when I booked this hotel it was after the SPG / MR merger and the email was still mentioning the late cancellation fees and also that it could be reversed to points if asked. It was booked on the Marriott website but the email still had the SPG "style". I recently book a room at the St Regis NY with points, after the Bonvoy rollout and just before the price rose, and no "late cancellation charges" appeared at all. I read all the email and my understanding is, if you don't cancel before the deadline or no show, you lost the points and that's it (and maybe the great destination fee of 50$+tx, but nothing else).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Of course, look, I think the issue here comes down to (1) the original poster didn't check-in using the application and (2) the hotel failed to communicate its purported policy and then subsequently failed to use commonsense to resolve this matter, which admittedly may have been caused by an automated or semi-automated audit.
AFAIK there's no Starriott requirement that one use the app to check in. I don't for three reasons: (1) I see no advantage to doing so in that I must still stop at the front desk, including waiting in line and whatever, (2) I'm concerned that doing so means that I will end up foregoing upgrades to which I am entitled, and (3) given the Starriott/Bonvoy IT mess and the earlier SPG security breach, I'm not convinced that I want the Starriott/Bonvoy app on any of my devices, nor would I ever want to use it with public wifi such as in airports.

If I know I'll be arriving late, I try to contact the hotel directly, but even if I don't do this, my room is always guaranteed with my credit card, so it really shouldn't matter.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Just for the record, when I booked this hotel it was after the SPG / MR merger and the email was still mentioning the late cancellation fees and also that it could be reversed to points if asked. It was booked on the Marriott website but the email still had the SPG "style". I recently book a room at the St Regis NY with points, after the Bonvoy rollout and just before the price rose, and no "late cancellation charges" appeared at all. I read all the email and my understanding is, if you don't cancel before the deadline or no show, you lost the points and that's it (and maybe the great destination fee of 50$+tx, but nothing else).
Which highlights this is a short sighted policy from the hotel. Perhaps driven by their single property REIT status.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

One of the hotels in London (I think the JW) will sometimes email me and ask if I am arriving from the US on an early flight. They say they will try to get me a room if available but that if I want to guarantee a room for availability for an early arrival, I should book the night before. But again, I make sure the hotel knows to check me in. I suspect that hotels with a lot of early morning arrivals know to do that routinely which may be a bigger issue for a US property.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think it’s really a problem when using points; if paying cash, it would make no difference (unless the “no-show” fee were for some reason higher than the nightly rate plus taxes).

I have checked in at odd hours (1-3 am) 6 times this year. 2 point reservations, 4 paid ones. Never had an issue, not even with elite nights or points posting. One of those trips, I showed up the following day after letting them know that I was stuck. Still no issue. Properties were in the US (all over) and Colombia.

IMO, its a problem with the hotel, nothing else.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by cletraveler
I booked 2 rooms for 5 nights at the St. Regis Aspen all on points. These were booked back in the first half of 2018 for a recent stay in March 2019. Unfortunately, our flight to ASE was cancelled so we could not arrive until the next day. In particular, we ended up stuck in our layover city (DFW), had to book 2 rooms at DFW and then had to fly to GCM the next day, rent a car and drive to Aspen. Called hotel around 5 PM MST when we knew we would not make it the first night to let them know. They offered to "guarantee the room" so we thought everything was good to go. I would later find out this "guarantee the room" was code for we will charge you $1,000.00 per room (2 rooms) to keep your reservation. No mention of any charge or charge amount during call.

I was shocked to find the $1000.00 charge per room on my folio for each room plus tax ($113.00) on day of checkout. Spoke to front desk, mid-level manager and ultimately higher level manager. I was basically told that this is the way it is and I should have read my T&C more carefully.

I now have taken up the issue with a phone representative on the Marriott Platinum line. He seems sympathetic and is setting up a case. He says that Marriott will contact the hotel and the hotel will have 5 days to respond. I will have to wait and see how this goes.

First off, I find this crazy that I would incur a cash charge for missing my first night when all nights were prepaid on points. There is no way the hotel has lost anything. I have read elsewhere that the hotel could argue that they have lost out on the opportunity to sell me ancillary services/products for that first night. I don't buy this line of reasoning and think that any claimed loss is not even close to the no show charge. I bet I could fight this in a court of law (maybe small claims court) but that is a time-suck.

Second, the mid-level manager suggested that if I run into this issue in the future that I simply check-in to the hotel via the Marriott app. This would likely work to avoid this nonsensical charge but I found this suggestion to be a cruel one since it was provided when arguing the charge and not when I called on Friday to kindly let the hotel know we would be late.

Third, and likely my saving grace, my original booking confirmations clearly state: "If a no-show / cancel charge is incurred, SPG members may request to switch the charge to a forfeiture of applicable Starpoints by e-mailing their request to [email protected] no later than 60 days from the reservation arrival date." To me, this clearly indicates that only my points should be forfeited and no cash charge should be incurred.

Anyone else find this crazy? Any advice on how to get these charge reversed?
It has always been Marriott's policy to charge $ (full amount of nights) for a no show and to refund the points to your account. It is somewhere on the T&C. I knew where it was on the old marriott site but not the new. Not sure what SPGs policy was. Also, know that the GMs will sometimes charge the points and not the cash if you ask
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
This is an important point. People don't tend to randomly end up at Aspen needing a hotel at the last minute.
I don't think this is accurate. Keep in mind if planes are not coming in, that also means they are not going out. I have had Aspen trips last longer than expected and also been traveling with people who had to extend trips due to flight cancellations (including one a couple weeks ago). Having said that, I don't think the St Regis wants to try to do a bunch of room shuffling based on who may be arriving a day late.

But the hotel should be compensated for reserving the room. If what was said above is true that Marriott doesn't pay the hotel if deemed a no show then I really think this is a customer service failure being created by Marriott. If the hotel is double dipping or just opting to charge the higher amount possible versus what the points reimbursement would have totaled, that's a pretty pathetic business practice (and I say that liking this hotel).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Not particularly proud of this but once I had a hotel try to pull this same crap on me. It was a hotel similar to St Regis brand but a different hotel chain. It was a case where I wouldn’t be able to show up the first night due to a travel delay and they wanted to charge her full rack rate even though I had booked it on points and listed her name on the reservation as authorized to check in.

After trying to reason with the management, they kept standing their ground and given that it was 2am, I lost my temper and went on a profanity laced tirade against the hotel manager and after a while, she and her boss got tired of me and just gave in and let my wife check in and didn’t charge her any rack rate.

They were also condescending to my wife and treated her like she didn’t belong (before the whole brouhaha started), so in a way, they deserved the full power of my rage. At least they knew not to mess with us anymore.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius

I have checked in at odd hours (1-3 am) 6 times this year. 2 point reservations, 4 paid ones. Never had an issue, not even with elite nights or points posting. One of those trips, I showed up the following day after letting them know that I was stuck. Still no issue. Properties were in the US (all over) and Colombia.

IMO, its a problem with the hotel, nothing else.
I don't disagree with you. I was simply responding to the question about all those people who book rooms for the night before because they'll be arriving in the early morning. With respect to those cases, it's really only a problem when booking with points, so the issue likely comes up much less frequently than the post to which I was responding implied. Of course, as you clarify, it's also really only a problem if the hotel decides to actually enforce what apparently is Marriott's policy of refunding points and charging the nightly cash rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.