Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I’m not denying that or asserting otherwise. I’m saying once the hotel entered OP as a no-show onto the computer, which is just what they did. The hotel did that. I’ve said in my view OP is entirely in the right. I’m considering how the change from SPGs policy works from Bonvoys point of view.
This was an SPG property. The property's management had a chance to make it right, and doubled down on the mistreatment. This is just money grubbing at the property level, no need to turn it into SPG vs. Marriott.

I will add that I've had two recent unsatisfactory experiences at SRs. The brand seems to engender arrogance towards the guest.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

OP here - Sorry, GJT (Grand Junction) not GCM. Freudian slip perhaps as I am looking forward to a beach trip next. That would indeed be a tough trip by car!

For those asking and wanting some more details, I arrived at the St. Regis around 12:30 PM MST on day 2 of my reservation. This in itself was pretty lucky in that getting a rebooked flight out of DFW for my entire family to somewhere near Aspen was difficult. My understanding was that I-70 between DIA and Aspen was closed due to avalanches so that took DIA out of the picture and further limited options. We felt lucky to be able to fly into GJT in the morning, get a car and drive over to Aspen. Was disappointed to waste a night at DFW and miss a ski day in Aspen but understand that things happen when you travel. Maybe I will post separately later under AA but the cancelled flight from DFW to ASE had some interesting circumstances too (in short: plane completely boarded then 2nd officer addresses us on intercom while facing us to advise that pilot w/ special flying certification necessary for landing at ASE called in sick, there was miscommunication within AA, very sorry, etc.; deplaned and delayed initially 3 hours for replacement certified pilot to arrive at DFW from LAX; 1 hour later flight was cancelled "due to weather"). It was just one of those trips where things did not go well.

Anyway, had no clue that I would also be "rewarded" with a no show charge on top of this. It was never brought up when I checked in. So the big issue is that I was charged this no show nonsense ($2,226.00) in the first place and the lesser but perhaps more shameful issue is that my first notice of it was when I received my folios by email on the day of checkout.

I will plan to reach out to the general manager today but I think I will do this by email first to start getting things memorialized.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions for resolving this. I will keep everyone posted.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
The only thing more upsetting than the actual story is some people trying to explain this away. This is 100% unacceptable any way you look at it. He showed up a day late because of a flight cancellation and let them know about it in advance. In no way should that result in what happened.
polinka likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by cletraveler
I will plan to reach out to the general manager today but I think I will do this by email first to start getting things memorialized.
You definitely want to stick to written communication unless or until they relent.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:16 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by azepine00
I dont see how advising hotel of delay and late arrival is a no-show. Op did not request to refund the first night either. Any respectable hotel would have checked him based on reservation dates.
Not on the same scale but a similar thing happened to me on a normal $ reservation at the Marriott Ottawa East in Vanier. I had booked a long weekend (3 nights), we had something on the friday I called the hotel (in retrospect I should have tried to reach the hotel reservations but reached Marriott central reservations) to say that I would not make it on friday night, that I understood I was not going to be refunded for that night and that we would be arriving on saturday morning. This was a prepaid reservation so the hotel got their money.

We get to the hotel on Saturday only to be told there were no rooms available (it being a long weekend) and that our reservation was 'cancelled'. What I think happened is the manager booked the room at a much higher last minute long weekend rate and took the risk I would not show up at all.

Lucky for me, my best friend's dad owns the hotel so it got sorted out quickly. But I was really upset they cancelled the reservation, hotel did not bother to check the reservation and assumed I was a no show. He also said Marriott head office and central reservations was a zoo, and this was before we got Bonyoyed.

If I prepaid for a 5 night stay and I decide to show up on the 4th night, that is their problem not mine. I would initiate chargeback proceedings on my credit card as well.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Calling the GM will only get your redirected back to another manager. In this day when everyone is contacting the GM (dont understand this phenomenon) very little is handled directly with them.
That's ridiculous and am glad I don't have your pessimistic attitude. Every time just about I wanted to speak to a GM I was able. I also spoke to a couple Area Vice Presidents as well.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Well, I realize how I was lucky. I was at this hotel in February for 5 nights on points and I missed a connection in Denver. The next two flights were cancelled because of weather, but I was finally able to arrive with the last flight of the day (thanks to my Star Alliance gold status, they rebooked me in the United lounge, otherwise the flight would have been full the time I would be able to talk to an agent).
I just looked at my email archive and the cancellation fee was... 12,400 $
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
.........I was at this hotel in February for 5 nights on points...............I just looked at my email archive and the cancellation fee was... 12,400 $
That's probably the rate for 5 nights during President's Day week.

Last edited by TerryK; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by joakgarp
The hotel is doing the right thing here all according to t&c.
"Doing the right thing" and taking actions "according to T&C" are not always the same thing, and def not in this situation.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

If I prepaid for a 5 night stay and I decide to show up on the 4th night, that is their problem not mine. I would initiate chargeback proceedings on my credit card as well.
No it’s not. That’s a no-show. Hotel booking is not the same as a real estate lease. If a guest doesn’t check-in by the first night’s check-out time (usually 11AM or noon) then that’s a no-show, regardless if reservation has been fully paid. Hotel is entitled to keep your payment, cancel the booking in its system and return the room to inventory for a last minute booking. A good hotel with a sound management would keep the room if the guest was diligent enough to advise of his late arrival and a reasonable reason was provided.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
No it’s not. That’s a no-show. Hotel booking is not the same as a real estate lease. If a guest doesn’t check-in by the first night’s check-out time (usually 11AM or noon) then that’s a no-show, regardless if reservation has been fully paid. Hotel is entitled to keep your payment, cancel the booking in its system and return the room to inventory for a last minute booking. A good hotel with a sound management would keep the room if the guest was diligent enough to advise of his late arrival and a reasonable reason was provided.
You know, if a guest just flakes out and no-shows, the hotel keeping the payment and selling the room to a last-minute booking would be okay. OP didn't call asking for his points back. They're gone, and he accepts that. That was both in the T's & C's, and is the fair thing for all parties, including the person who is trying to find a hotel room late at night.

But charging an additional no-show penalty - e.g., an extra $1,000 for not showing up - seems way over the top. And finally, it's always been customary that when a guest has a flight cancellation and proactively calls, the hotel does something reasonable. I've called a few times over the course of 25 years to just say "hey, I'll be there in the morning...I'll pay for tonight but keep the rest of my nights available." Almost always the manager just shifts the reservation and *doesn't* charge me for the missed night, even though they have the right to do so. Could I abuse this and just call every time I decide to randomly flake on a reservation? I guess, until the data catches up with me. The only reason I've done is some sort of legit, verifiable weather event, but I've never been asked to prove it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The few times I've tried to do this, I've volunteered information, such as my flight number that was cancelled, that someone at the hotel could check if they were concerned. During a major weather event, of course, it should be obvious that travel will be disrupted. A decent hotel that behaves according to any sort of code of ethics would never try to use such circumstances as a way to capture additional windfall revenue.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This whole scenario is a joke and the hotel needs to sort this out. If the FT front page or TPG picks this story up...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
As kosher as my cheeseburger...... if a points booking was made and the guest missed only one night- those points should be forfeited. The hotel agreed to accept the points for the night and should be paid accordingly. Very poor customer service.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Computer says he’s a no show...
I had a very similar situation at a Westin in the SPG days. I had a flight that arrived very early in the morning so I booked my arrival for the day before (e.g., flight arrives Tuesday am and I booked Monday to Wednesday). The flight was late so I received a no-show email while I was in the taxi to the hotel. I got to the hotel and was happily checked in with no issue. I cannot see why this did not happen to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.