Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
This is why in Europe hotels regularly advise guests to book the previous night if they want a guaranteed early morning check-in.
OP: When arriving at a destination early in the AM, I regularly book a room for the night before. Of course, I let the hotel know in advance that I won’t be checking in until 6 AM the following day. Never a problem. Essentially, this is what you did.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by geminidreams
There is a difference between asking for the night to be credited back and the hotel unilaterally reimbursing the points so they could charge a cash fee 3 times the value of the points. The first did not happen so the hotel was paid, the second did happen which in most peoples minds would amount to fraud.
for the record, I don't think the hotel treats OP right.

However, it is not up to OP to decide whether he is no-show or not. That's hotel's decision to make. And in a lot of hotel night audits, it is considered no-show technically.

Think about it in airline. The airline will not care why you missed the first leg and cancel your subsequent legs anyway. You can take your case with travel insurance or your connecting airline.

In this case, the hotel can cancel the reservation if OP did not accept the offer of "guarantee the room".
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by freed0m
for the record, I don't think the hotel treats OP right.

However, it is not up to OP to decide whether he is no-show or not. That's hotel's decision to make. And in a lot of hotel night audits, it is considered no-show technically.

Think about it in airline. The airline will not care why you missed the first leg and cancel your subsequent legs anyway. You can take your case with travel insurance or your connecting airline.

In this case, the hotel can cancel the reservation if OP did not accept the offer of "guarantee the room".
I am not sure it is the hotels decision to make if he arrives before checkout on the first day, especially if they have been notified of the late arrival.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Call the GM. Call the GM. Call the GM. If no help ask for his boss's name and office number and email. Forget these other lower level useless managers.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:10 am

I don’t think OP informed us of when he did actually checkin on the second day. If it was after noon it is definitely a technical no-show for the whole stay, and cannot be equated to booking an extra night for an early morning check-in. However, given OP was in contact with the hotel, the property should have been understanding of the situation and should have accomodated OP’s late arrival without any issue.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wow, I'm speechless.

OP paid for the stay full with points, so in case he missed part of the stay, his points just got eaten up and won't be refunded, end of story. The hotel can easily checked in for him on the day he "supposed" to arrive and swipe his card when he actually got there. If the hotel is nice and value him as a guest, they can even refund the points for the day that he's not there.

That bogus charge is just like a scam. Does the hotel have extra cost to someone who have paid in full and not being there - I highly doubt that? The hotel might have rented his rooms out to someone else and get double revenue for those nights.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Wow, you've been BonVoyed!

As stated above, it really is a bogus charge, as the hotel didn't lose anything. You notified them "sorry, can't make it the first night due to flight delays/cancellations, but will be there the 2nd till 5th". You've prepaid everything (albeit with points, but that's not the issue). You're willing to forfeit that first night, as in, not demanding money or points back. That the hotel is now CHARGING you $2226 for a room that YOU ALREADY PAID FOR is just insane.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
What follows needs to be read in the context that I fully agree and sympathise with OP and would challenge the credit card charge and if unsuccessful sue for a refund in the small claims court.

But what if this is the result of a new Bonvoy directive? A directive that tells the hotels that if the guest is a no-show then Bonvoy won’t pay the hotel for the redemption and it’s for the property therefore to charge the guest. Taking the St Regis Aspen in the winter, I bet it’s 95%+ full l and hence Bonvoy is on the hook to pay the franchisee ~90% of the ADR, say around $800. This way the moment the hotel enters the reservation as a no-show on its computer Bonvoy saves itself $800, more or less! Of course that leaves a headache for the St Regis and the guest, but Bonvoy rides outta town leaving everyone else behind arguing about the bill.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
What follows needs to be read in the context that I fully agree and sympathise with OP and would challenge the credit card charge and if unsuccessful sue for a refund in the small claims court.
Another option is filing a complaint with the consumer protection division of the state attorney general's office, which can be pretty effective if you live in a state with an activist consumer protection division. Companies don't like getting letters from the state attorney general.

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
But what if this is the result of a new Bonvoy directive? A directive that tells the hotels that if the guest is a no-show then Bonvoy won’t pay the hotel for the redemption and it’s for the property therefore to charge the guest. Taking the St Regis Aspen in the winter, I bet it’s 95%+ full l and hence Bonvoy is on the hook to pay the franchisee ~90% of the ADR, say around $800. This way the moment the hotel enters the reservation as a no-show on its computer Bonvoy saves itself $800, more or less! Of course that leaves a headache for the St Regis and the guest, but Bonvoy rides outta town leaving everyone else behind arguing about the bill.
Except the guest neither canceled his reservation nor failed to show. He showed up late, but he showed up. It's a big difference.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Except the guest neither canceled his reservation nor failed to show. He showed up late, but he showed up. It's a big difference.
Computer says he’s a no show...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:44 am

deleted

Last edited by pentiumii; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:12 am Reason: delete
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by mikebor
Call the GM. Call the GM. Call the GM. If no help ask for his boss's name and office number and email. Forget these other lower level useless managers.
Calling the GM will only get your redirected back to another manager. In this day when everyone is contacting the GM (dont understand this phenomenon) very little is handled directly with them.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I’m not denying that or asserting otherwise. I’m saying once the hotel entered OP as a no-show onto the computer, which is just what they did. The hotel did that. I’ve said in my view OP is entirely in the right. I’m considering how the change from SPGs policy works from Bonvoys point of view.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But, as an aside, what you don't know is whether the GM forwards the email to an underling with instructions to solve the problem. That may change the calculus.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cletraveler
had to fly to GCM the next day, rent a car and drive to Aspen.
So why is there no discussion, that I can find, about the OP driving from Grand Cayman to Aspen? Would love to hear the details of that journey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.