Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
Are you kidding us ? The hotel was already paid with points for the room, what does it change to them that the OP was staying in or not ? Nobody is asking them to cancel without charging the night...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:16 pm

I have no problem with a hotel charging a no show penalty. The fact Marriott does will add to my increasing reasons to leave the brand but if a hotel is gonna charge a fee it needs to be clear and disclosed. It cant say there may be some terms somewhere else that you may or may not have seen and you may or may not have read and they may or may not have a set rate.

Id have no problem if when I booked my room it said on the booking page if you do not check in by 11PM on Monday you will be charged $1100. All it says is your points are non refundable. The manager says the $1100 fee is on the booking page and the confirmation email. It is not.

A hotel can charge whatever it wants for cancellations but needs to show this amount in advance and then I just won't stay there.
polinka likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont see how advising hotel of delay and late arrival is a no-show. Op did not request to refund the first night either. Any respectable hotel would have checked him based on reservation dates.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:23 pm

By the way, based on my experience here last month, I am also pretty sure this hotel hate point stay and do everything they can to provide bad service to customer redeeming points here. And if they can rip them off a little bit or more, they will.
I mean, how dare you stay here without paying 2k$ per night ? You are cheapening their product !
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Are you kidding us ? The hotel was already paid with points for the room, what does it change to them that the OP was staying in or not ? Nobody is asking them to cancel without charging the night...
The hotel does not get paid in points until the guest arrives. If the guest does not arrive the hotel is not paid.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
Leave the room empty then. If the OP paid for 5 nights and missed one due to a flight issue, what exactly do you lose? its not like the OP is asking for a refund or points back. They paid, .... happened, you lost nothing. If you don't get points, thats something you and other managers should fight with Marriott about.

Hiding behind obscure and ridiculous T&C is a cheap move. Fits right in with Jeff Smiker, Doug Parker and that group. This is kowtowing to weak policies and sticking it to someone who did everything right and got the short straw - basically a flat track bully move.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:31 pm

Would everyone agree if this hotel wants to charge $1100 or $5000 or whatever it needs to clearly tell you when you book that if you do not show up by X time on X date you will be charged this? Id have no issue if this is the case but no where does it say this. I will post my confirmation email tomorrow when this site allows me to and all it says is the points are non refundable.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azepine00
I dont see how advising hotel of delay and late arrival is a no-show. Op did not request to refund the first night either. Any respectable hotel would have checked him based on reservation dates.
This is an excellent point and one that all the defenders are ignoring.
Horace, kennycrudup and polinka like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Although within the T&C, charging a cash fee instead of just the points is very consumer-unfriendly. I'd argue that if the hotel doesn't get paid by Marriott when the guest no-shows, that's a flaw in the agreement between Marriott and its hotels.

If the hotel is not full, the the cost of the unsold room is minimal, and the hotel should be satisfied with the payment in points. If the hotel is near capacity, then the payment they get from Marriott is close to full rate.

It's still bad to charge this fee when someone completely no-shows, but when the guest has a documented airline irrops and shows up the next day for the rest of the stay, it's completely egregious. What a dreadful way to treat a loyal customer, by both Marriott and the hotel.
kale73 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:52 pm

The hotel does not get paid in points until the guest arrives. If the guest does not arrive the hotel is not paid.
The hotel would have been paid in point if they just checked the guest for the whole stay, however they preferred to charge a no-show to extract more money from OP. You can maybe defend them legally but in no way you can say it is a normal and honest thing to do...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Op here - This is a nice angle that I had not thought of. What is the definition of a "no-show"? In my original confirmation emails, the following is listed:

Cancellation Details
If you cancel before 04:00 PM hotel time on Sunday, 06 January 2019 there will be no forfeiture amount.
If you cancel after 04:00 PM hotel time on Sunday, 06 January 2019 the forfeiture amount will be USD 7,747.50.
There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
If a no-show / cancel charge is incurred, SPG members may request to switch the charge to a forfeiture of applicable Starpoints by e-mailing their request to [email protected]no later than 60 days from the reservation arrival date.Debit and Credit cards will be authorized at check-in for the amount of your stay, plus an amount to cover incidentals. Please visit “Announcements” on the hotel website for more information.

Cancellation seems pretty clear, which I did not do. There is NO definition of what constitutes a "no show". I agree that I could make a pretty solid argument that I am pretty far from a "no show".

Seems my initial strategy for getting this resolved is: (1) wait 5 business days for Marriott corporate to resolve and (2) dispute charges with credit card if not resolved in this timeframe. I wonder if I should also send a direct email to the hotel (I cc'd them on my communications with corporate) and demand in stern language that they fix this ASAP.

Also, the pissed off side of me wonders if I should consider reaching out to a travel writer of some sort. This story (and Sean's) seems ripe for some press. I have never done this in my life but this one has me ticked off enough to pursue something like this.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Last edited by cletraveler; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
Although within the T&C, charging a cash fee instead of just the points is very consumer-unfriendly. I'd argue that if the hotel doesn't get paid by Marriott when the guest no-shows, that's a flaw in the agreement between Marriott and its hotels.

If the hotel is not full, the the cost of the unsold room is minimal, and the hotel should be satisfied with the payment in points. If the hotel is near capacity, then the payment they get from Marriott is close to full rate.

It's still bad to charge this fee when someone completely no-shows, but when the guest has a documented airline irrops and shows up the next day for the rest of the stay, it's completely egregious. What a dreadful way to treat a loyal customer, by both Marriott and the hotel.
I agree that this is not my problem. This is between St. Regis Aspen and Marriott. I don't really care what their arrangement is for payment between the 2 entities.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Like others here I don’t see this as a no show at all just late check in.

In a a similar situation earlier this winter (also to a ski destination with 30 days cancellation policy) when it was clear we will miss our connection flight we called the hotels and they checked us in over the phone without a problem. We arrived a day later and paid all the nights with points. That is what I would expect from every decent hotel.

Late check in is not a no show and the hotel will be paid if they will keep the original check in date in the system.
Loren Pechtel and polinka like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, a guaranteed reservation means that the room will be held for the guest until checkout time the following day, although it's wise to inform the hotel if you will be arriving late. Arriving the next morning should be fine, although of course no refund is due for the first night. Arriving the following afternoon is more questionable, but again since the hotel was informed and the guest did show up, there shouldn't be a problem.
Loren Pechtel and polinka like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:14 pm

This does bring up the topic of checking in after night audits. There is a thread on getting credit for next day checkin. For lots of places I go to, don’t arrive until 2am. Does this mean those properties should mark me as a no show and charge me a cancellation fee (whether it’s revenue or award stays) based on the T&Cs? Kinda ridiculous.
polinka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.