Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
I agree here. Op, Just take it up with your travel insurance and sort it out by yourself. The hotel is doing the right thing here all according to t&c. Is it the hotel's fault and loose money when airlines are not doing what they are supposed to?
Otherwise tons of people would just call their hotels and tell them their planes have been cancelled etc if that would be a valid reason to cancel a non cancellable reservation. Would be a mess.

Last edited by joakgarp; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:36 pm

this same hotel sent me a notice after I booked 2 rooms during xmas that if I cancelled my penalty would be 32K.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
Except starwood used to allow points forfeiture as a no-show penalty and the OP booked when this policy was in effect. So this is not within the T&C at the time of booking. It very much is the T&C now...hence the confusion from the hotel.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

hotelboy and joakgarp, with respect, I think you are both missing the point.

The rooms were already paid in full in points. The hotel is not out anything by me not showing up until the second day of my 5 night stay. Likewise, sean1397's rooms were fully paid for in advance with points. Please help me understand how the hotel is losing money when we don't show up on the first night of a reservation that is fully paid. The hotel need not do anything w.r.t. reselling the room so it is irrelevant (at least how I see things) as to whether reselling is an option. Further, at least in my specific situation, I let the hotel know that I would not arrive until the afternoon the next day. Optionally, the hotel could have sold my rooms for the 1st night and made some extra dough if there was demand (i.e., they would receive whatever value they get from my points booking plus optionally cash if the room could be resold).

sean1397, I feel your pain. My family prefers Airbnb's and similar rentals. This will only further push me in that direction.
Spiff, kilo, Gnopps and 14 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cletraveler

The rooms were already paid in full in points. The hotel is not out anything by me not showing up until the second day of my 5 night stay. Likewise, sean1397's rooms were fully paid for in advance with points. Please help me understand how the hotel is losing money when we don't show up on the first night of a reservation that is fully paid. The hotel need not do anything w.r.t. reselling the room so it is irrelevant (at least how I see things) as to whether reselling is an option. Further, at least in my specific situation, I let the hotel know that I would not arrive until the afternoon the next day. Optionally, the hotel could have sold my rooms for the 1st night and made some extra dough if there was demand (i.e., they would receive whatever value they get from my points booking plus optionally cash if the room could be resold).

sean1397, I feel your pain. My family prefers Airbnb's and similar rentals. This will only further push me in that direction.
Sorry, but why the hotel charges a no-show fee is not relevant. This argument was made over and over back when Starwood agreed to allow points as the cancellation fee. Marriott has reversed that policy. The fact is that marriott hotels do charge a cash no-show fee and clearly communicate that at time of booking. Your case is different because you booked at the time when you could pay no-show in points instead of cash. But going forward you should recognize that cash no-show fees are standard for marriott and you should expect to pay them or choose not to book using marriott points.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by joakgarp
I agree here. Op, Just take it up with your travel insurance and sort it out by yourself. The hotel is doing the right thing here all according to t&c. Is it the hotel's fault and loose money when airlines are not doing what they are supposed to?
Otherwise tons of people would just call their hotels and tell them their planes have been cancelled etc if that would be a valid reason to cancel a non cancellable reservation. Would be a mess.
Eh, waiving it in exchange for evidence of the airline cancelling the flight would seem to be a reasonable compromise. It isn't like flight status is top secret information (flightaware.com is always there if all else fails), so requiring a copy of original booking confirmation/check-in combined with a flight status report showing a delay that blows a connection (or a cancelled flight, etc.) wouldn't be an unreasonable middle ground.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

"We would also like to bring to your attention that a 30-day cancellation policy is in effect for the dates of your reservation. If changes are required within 30 days of your arrival date, cancellation penalties and additional fees may apply. Due to our remote resort destination we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance. Please note that a monetary fee will be assessed in the event of a cancelation within 30 days prior to arrival in the amount of $2,000."

This is from their very friendly welcome email.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boolean64
But going forward you should recognize that cash no-show fees are standard for marriott and you should expect to pay them or choose not to book using marriott points.
Just bend over and take it? I don't think so.
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Eh, waiving it in exchange for evidence of the airline cancelling the flight would seem to be a reasonable compromise.
Yes. A good property - one that actually cares about providing quality service - will cut their guests slack here. Especially when the guest has a substantial relationship with the chain, as reflected by top tier elite status.
polinka and renees13 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just bend over and take it? I don't think so.
I'm not arguing that the hotel should have been more gracious in applying it's no-show policy...i'm just saying that if they do apply it, seems there are no longer any legs to stand on to expect just the points forfeiture.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

boolean64, I hear what you are saying re the T&C if I had made that booking later in time (e.g., after August 2018). Like many, I have other bookings that are not under the SPG T&C (they were made after August 2018) so I will need to be careful with these. I think a work around is simply to check-in to the hotel remotely via the Marriott app for properties that allow such checking in. Maybe the T&C state that you have to be physically present but I doubt anyone would notice.

My point above was simply to rebut the statements made in support of the "no show" fee. Statements were made that it was fair b/c the hotel could not easily resell the rooms on short notice. I simply countered to say that it is inherently not fair. The hotel has no loss from me not showing up. Even the loss of potential ancilary charges is specious b/c this would be offset by lack of expenditures by the hotel on my rooms (e.g., no housekeeping, electricity, amenities, etc.)

I would add that there is an additional concern: when booking 5 nights on points the 5th night is of course free. If the hotel charges you a no-show fee in cash and "refunds" your points you probably would not get any points back b/c 4 nights would be the same as 5 nights. Regardless of what the T&C indicate, there is something not right about this. For whatever reason, I did get a few points back (20K per room) but it might as well been nothing when compared to the cash charge.

Also, regardless of the T&C, maybe we could all agree that this is a very lousy thing to do (charge "no show" fee on prepaid reservation). To me, this is a very serious and surreptitious points devaluation.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold

The St. Regis is just following its contract you agreed to when you accepted the terms and conditions. You had ample opportunity to cancel before hand if you did not like the terms they were offering. What would have happened if somehow you did get to Aspen and they had sold your room?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Ts&Cs or not, it’s ridiculous. The room had already been paid for once, so why the need to pay a second time? I’d give the hotel 5 days to refund and then if they haven’t, initiate a chargeback. Let’s see what the credit card company thinks of this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:35 pm

The St. Regis is just following its contract you agreed to when you accepted the terms and conditions. You had ample opportunity to cancel before hand if you did not like the terms they were offering. What would have happened if somehow you did get to Aspen and they had sold your room?
Which has happened to many people throughout the years, and are they compensated at $1000+ for the night?
cockpitvisit and polinka like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:48 pm

There is a mistake in that reasoning. The hotel is not already paid in full in points. Marriott subtracted the points from the account, but the hotel has not been paid and will only be paid by Marriott if the guest checks-in and stays for the whole duration of the booking. In the case of a no-show or a late cancellation Marriott pays the hotel zilch and the points are returned to the account. The hotel is compensated for the loss of award revenueb by charging the no-show or late cancellation fee. Given how little Marriott pays for an award stay, hotels always prefer the fee. In this instance however the hotel has had an extremely poor behavior. As OP said he would arrive later, hotel should just have checked OP in and charge Marriott for the award. Of course, hotel may always claim they had no idea if OP’s promise of late arrival was for real and they had to return the rooms to inventory in order to try a last minute booking. In any event an elite member should merit a little more trust on the part of the property.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Both outrageous but also sadly in line with Marriott’s aggressive T&C’s. Our holidays on points are all subject to massive multi-thousand dollar unexpected expenses if our flights are delayed. It is the kind of thing that consumer advocates often take up.

I personally respect the St Regis brand and so think it’s unfortunate they are taking this line with the OP. I would agree that if in this situation I would fight what is clearly an unjust and hostile fee. In many regimes this would make it illegal, but I’m guessing not in the US.
polinka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.