Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Sorry, double posted
Old May 13, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Clearly someone likes the cut of her job.
But there's also a discussion on FT about another upscale hotel, this time in Paris, that is declining a points reservation because they want someone else's cash instead.
Hotel de Berri is comping that guest at PdG.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead

I agree. But there's also a discussion on FT about another upscale hotel, this time in Paris, that is declining a points reservation because they want someone else's cash instead. We're seeing high-end properties refusing, or at least resisting, to take points. Maybe this is a consequence of the merger, maybe not. Marriott seems to be OK with this: and why not? They can advertise that their program can get you into an aspirational property, without actually having to provide it.
I'm not sure I'd describe the thread that way. And that hotel is paying for the FTer to stay at the PdG.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by strickerj

Just in case there is a backlash and the article disappears
Why would there be backlash. I thought it was pretty obvious Marriottwood does not care about the FT noise around the edges.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by strickerj

"Following significant success in her role as General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, Heather will now manage The Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch, The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe, The St. Regis Deer Valley, the soon-to-open W Aspen, in addition to her present hotel.”
With such a wide-ranging span of control including Colorado, Utah, and Nevada, she will soon be a FTer, if she is not yet.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hotel de Berri is comping that guest at PdG.
Excellent. I'm glad for the good outcome.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'd put a different spin on this as there are no reports on FT of such a draconian policy by other Marriott properties.

The St. Regis Aspen is owned by Stephane De Baets who runs a private equity firm called Elevated Returns. Mr. De Baets tried to take the company public as the only single asset REIT. However, it never happened and I would personally suspect it was because of the lack of investor interest as REIT's generally attract those looking for a reliable diversified return based on the long term.

See ... https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/02/0...le-asset-reit/

Once that didn't happen, he decided to sell it as the first "Blockchain REIT." Some might suggest that being the first blockchain REIT doesn't change the fundamental dynamics of a REIT based on a single asset. But, a focus on blockchain and cryptocurrency can lead to a more short term focus.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/09/e...d-real-estate/

I'd strongly suspect that Mr. DeBaets/Elevated Returns directed this policy and the GM is following the owners directive.

In contrast, I just stayed at a couple of properties owned by Al Habtoor, but managed by Marriott International. I'm confident they think about those properties from a long term perspective with a focus on their reputation and repeat business, rather than the need to promote short term returns.

I'm a little surprised the OP didn't escalate this the owner ...

The sale is not going so well either:
Last fall’s digitalized token sale of nearly one-fifth of the St. Regis Aspen Hotel has sparked a lawsuit from an individual who claims he was refused compensation by a business partnership that led him along with a “string of lies and deceptions.”

Plaintiff Jason Kirschenbaum’s complaint accuses Elevated Returns, a New York-based assets manager that sold 18.9% of the 179-room hotel for $18 million in digital tokens in October, of breaching the contract it had with the former managing director. The suit was filed June 5 in the Supreme Court of New York.

full story:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/lega...spen-sell-off/
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:05 am

So interesting, I had a reservation over July 4th week on points I needed to make a change to... obviously, ahead of the 30 day window I called Bonvoy services, and of course, they needed a couple days to work it out, which would cross over 30 day threshold. I mentioned my concern about window, they said not to worry (I had them document this, because , of course, I was worried)... #bonvoyed ).

Of course, a few days went by, no reservation updated online, and now within 30 day window. An hour phone call of escalations later, I had a Bonvoy senior rep tell me she was going to have to call the GM on site and "make a case" for them to accept this change. Knowing this thread, I was skeptical, and prepared for the worst.

The next day, the reservation appeared updated online, with no communication of course, just appeared changed to what I wanted.

Figured I throw in my experience... seems like at least Bonvoy senior reps know they have to push this property around.

Still looking forward to our stay, though!
KingBraden likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by levilevi
So interesting, I had a reservation over July 4th week on points I needed to make a change to... obviously, ahead of the 30 day window I called Bonvoy services, and of course, they needed a couple days to work it out, which would cross over 30 day threshold. I mentioned my concern about window, they said not to worry (I had them document this, because , of course, I was worried)... #bonvoyed ).

Of course, a few days went by, no reservation updated online, and now within 30 day window. An hour phone call of escalations later, I had a Bonvoy senior rep tell me she was going to have to call the GM on site and "make a case" for them to accept this change. Knowing this thread, I was skeptical, and prepared for the worst.

The next day, the reservation appeared updated online, with no communication of course, just appeared changed to what I wanted.

Figured I throw in my experience... seems like at least Bonvoy senior reps know they have to push this property around.

Still looking forward to our stay, though!
a couple days to change a reservation? what? is this a new thing?

maybe the prop will just decide to charge you a few thousand dollars in fees upon your arrival for the change within 30 days
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Yeah.. i couldn't believe it. They said they'd "email me" to notify me they had completed the change. I think it was because I had booked under the old redemption structure, so that may have been a factor, but still. Ridiculous.
RE: charge upon arrival... I"m serious when I say mentally preparing to deal with that possibility!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I discovered a "secret" a few years ago about how to handle a Marriott reservation after the cancellation deadline has passed, but I don't want to post it publicly lest the Bonvoy bigwigs close this loophole. Please PM me to ask about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.