Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
How is this kosher? The OP (if I'm reading correctly) paid for all his nights on points. He didn't cancel or no-show. He showed, just one night later. So the OP in fact "forfeited" one nights worth of points since he couldn't make it the first night. But he still showed for the remainder of the ressie. So why should the hotel get cash? They already got "paid" in points. Why should they penalize him because he didn't sleep in the bed that first night? They didn't lose out on anything. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here.
To add insult to injury, after the OP queried the property about the egregious charge, the manager actually told him the charge could have been avoided by checking in for the first night. Yet he was not advised of that option when he phoned to say he was delayed.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Some properties are now requiring on award stays a deposit in the full amount of the cancellation penalty, even if the reservation is refundable, as award stays usually are. CC preauthorizations are not a viable option for stays booked well in advance as cc issuers will release the funds back to the cardholder if the merchant does not complete the transaction within 15 to 21 days after making the hold.
As far as I know, the hotels doing that are charging a cancellation penalty of one night's rent (at a reasonable rate).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Eh, waiving it in exchange for evidence of the airline cancelling the flight would seem to be a reasonable compromise. It isn't like flight status is top secret information (flightaware.com is always there if all else fails), so requiring a copy of original booking confirmation/check-in combined with a flight status report showing a delay that blows a connection (or a cancelled flight, etc.) wouldn't be an unreasonable middle ground.
The Revenue Director at St. Regis Deer Valley actually did require proof that a flight was cancelled and could not get another flight the same day...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by slidergirl
The Revenue Director at St. Regis Deer Valley actually did require proof that a flight was cancelled and could not get another flight the same day...
It's not unreasonable to ask for proof that one's flight was cancelled, but I don't know how one would conclusively prove that one could not get another flight the same day, for example by chartering a private jet or flying into some airport far away and taking a long limo ride.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Yeah, it's not unreasonable for HR to ask for a death certificate when you take a day off to attend your grandma's funeral.

But who would?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not unreasonable to ask for proof that one's flight was cancelled
KRSW and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by miloworld
Yeah, it's not unreasonable for HR to ask for a death certificate when you take a day off to attend your grandma's funeral.

But who would?

[/LEFT]
Like many things on FT, analogies almost never work.

The former is a property apparently owned by entities which seemingly don't want award / redemption business and therefore don't care that they insist on something which may be offensive. The latter is an employer of a person whom he presumably values and does not want to lose because the employee feels mistrusted.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Often1
Like many things on FT, analogies almost never work.
I read my analogy again and found it perfectly understandable.

Originally Posted by Often1
The former is a property apparently owned by entities which seemingly don't want award / redemption business and therefore don't care that they insist on something which may be offensive.
Has it been proven the hotel cares more about revenue booking customers? If one arrived late on a revenue booking, does the property show more empathy on the no-show charge?

IMO, if a manager asks for proof/evidence from what a customer claims, he might not be fit for the role.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Incidentally, the person who brought me to my room at a Fairmont in Switzerland today told me she used to be a Butler here. She said it was a beautiful property... And that flights always delayed.

She didn't know anything about the outrageous fee thing. But if flights always delayed, I am guessing the property will charge a lot of no show fees.

Again, the risks are too high for guests. Not worth staying here until they change policies.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: This has finally been resolved. In particular, I received a refund of $2,226 from the Aspen St. Regis, which includes the $1,000 no show charge for each of 2 rooms plus tax. It took a little over 2 months to get this resolved but I am glad to finally be able to put this behind me.

I am very grateful to everyone on this forum who provided advice on how to get this resolved. I am also grateful to any and all Marriott (and Aspen St. Regis) personnel that helped get this favorably resolved. Fortunately, I was able to get the refund without taking legal action and without disputing the charge on my credit card (there were conflicting viewpoints on whether or not this latter tactic would have ultimately been effective). In the end, I believe patient persistence and patient escalation moved this to a favorable resolution. Specifically, I followed closely the advice offered in post #508 and fortunately did not need to involve Elliott Advocacy. I believe the email to Mr. Sorenson was the one that finally moved things along but my guess is that all the earlier emails and efforts had to be exhausted before such an email would have been effective. My understanding is that ultimately it was the hotel manager that agreed to the refund but my guess is that this was done only after some pressure from Marriott because the hotel manager explicitly indicated an unwillingness to do this previously. Nonetheless, I am grateful she came around regardless as to the reasoning. Finally, I believe my particular facts were helpful. That is, the fact that I booked under SPG and my confirm emails indicated that I could opt to forfeit points in lieu of any no show charge probably helped.

I am hopeful that Marriott will publicly update its policy as relates to this type of situation. If not, this will make make me (and I suspect many others) very hesitant to make higher end points bookings. The problem is greatly exacerbated on 5 nights points bookings at such properties because you might be trading a refund of zero points for a hefty one night charge if your flight is delayed.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cletraveler
UPDATE: This has finally been resolved...
Thanks very much for this update and congratulations! ^

I've been following this thread with interest, and it has certainly caused me to be wary of this type of booking situation.
Brendan and strickerj like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:51 pm

Thanks for the update!
Old May 10, 2019, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cletraveler
I believe patient persistence and patient escalation moved this to a favorable resolution. Specifically, I followed closely the advice offered in post #508 and fortunately did not need to involve Elliott Advocacy. I believe the email to Mr. Sorenson was the one that finally moved things along but my guess is that all the earlier emails and efforts had to be exhausted before such an email would have been effective.
^

To save others the time of hunting it down, here's the link to the post referenced by OP: Post 508
Old May 10, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome.

Sound like the hotel got strong armed by Marriott.
Newman and tomwhom like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by hotelboy
And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome..
No, only those greedy hotel owners who wanted to gouge their customers at every opportunity would be disappointed. The rest of the world will be happy to see a fair outcome.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think the lesson learned - if you make a high end booking with points - make sure you plan to show up in the booking period.
Newman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.