FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1962003-outrageous-no-show-fee-incurred-st-regis-aspen.html)

SusanDK Apr 21, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 31022227)
How is this kosher? The OP (if I'm reading correctly) paid for all his nights on points. He didn't cancel or no-show. He showed, just one night later. So the OP in fact "forfeited" one nights worth of points since he couldn't make it the first night. But he still showed for the remainder of the ressie. So why should the hotel get cash? They already got "paid" in points. Why should they penalize him because he didn't sleep in the bed that first night? They didn't lose out on anything. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here.

To add insult to injury, after the OP queried the property about the egregious charge, the manager actually told him the charge could have been avoided by checking in for the first night. Yet he was not advised of that option when he phoned to say he was delayed.

sethb Apr 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 31015428)
Some properties are now requiring on award stays a deposit in the full amount of the cancellation penalty, even if the reservation is refundable, as award stays usually are. CC preauthorizations are not a viable option for stays booked well in advance as cc issuers will release the funds back to the cardholder if the merchant does not complete the transaction within 15 to 21 days after making the hold.

As far as I know, the hotels doing that are charging a cancellation penalty of one night's rent (at a reasonable rate).

slidergirl Apr 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 30883942)
Eh, waiving it in exchange for evidence of the airline cancelling the flight would seem to be a reasonable compromise. It isn't like flight status is top secret information (flightaware.com is always there if all else fails), so requiring a copy of original booking confirmation/check-in combined with a flight status report showing a delay that blows a connection (or a cancelled flight, etc.) wouldn't be an unreasonable middle ground.

The Revenue Director at St. Regis Deer Valley actually did require proof that a flight was cancelled and could not get another flight the same day...

MSPeconomist Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by slidergirl (Post 31034843)
The Revenue Director at St. Regis Deer Valley actually did require proof that a flight was cancelled and could not get another flight the same day...

It's not unreasonable to ask for proof that one's flight was cancelled, but I don't know how one would conclusively prove that one could not get another flight the same day, for example by chartering a private jet or flying into some airport far away and taking a long limo ride.

miloworld Apr 30, 2019 4:51 am

Yeah, it's not unreasonable for HR to ask for a death certificate when you take a day off to attend your grandma's funeral.

But who would?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31035838)
It's not unreasonable to ask for proof that one's flight was cancelled

Often1 Apr 30, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by miloworld (Post 31051700)
Yeah, it's not unreasonable for HR to ask for a death certificate when you take a day off to attend your grandma's funeral.

But who would?

[/LEFT]

Like many things on FT, analogies almost never work.

The former is a property apparently owned by entities which seemingly don't want award / redemption business and therefore don't care that they insist on something which may be offensive. The latter is an employer of a person whom he presumably values and does not want to lose because the employee feels mistrusted.

miloworld May 2, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31052189)
Like many things on FT, analogies almost never work.

I read my analogy again and found it perfectly understandable.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31052189)
The former is a property apparently owned by entities which seemingly don't want award / redemption business and therefore don't care that they insist on something which may be offensive.

Has it been proven the hotel cares more about revenue booking customers? If one arrived late on a revenue booking, does the property show more empathy on the no-show charge?

IMO, if a manager asks for proof/evidence from what a customer claims, he might not be fit for the role.

SHLTP May 10, 2019 8:01 am

Incidentally, the person who brought me to my room at a Fairmont in Switzerland today told me she used to be a Butler here. She said it was a beautiful property... And that flights always delayed.

She didn't know anything about the outrageous fee thing. But if flights always delayed, I am guessing the property will charge a lot of no show fees.

Again, the risks are too high for guests. Not worth staying here until they change policies.

cletraveler May 10, 2019 3:29 pm

UPDATE: This has finally been resolved. In particular, I received a refund of $2,226 from the Aspen St. Regis, which includes the $1,000 no show charge for each of 2 rooms plus tax. It took a little over 2 months to get this resolved but I am glad to finally be able to put this behind me.

I am very grateful to everyone on this forum who provided advice on how to get this resolved. I am also grateful to any and all Marriott (and Aspen St. Regis) personnel that helped get this favorably resolved. Fortunately, I was able to get the refund without taking legal action and without disputing the charge on my credit card (there were conflicting viewpoints on whether or not this latter tactic would have ultimately been effective). In the end, I believe patient persistence and patient escalation moved this to a favorable resolution. Specifically, I followed closely the advice offered in post #508 and fortunately did not need to involve Elliott Advocacy. I believe the email to Mr. Sorenson was the one that finally moved things along but my guess is that all the earlier emails and efforts had to be exhausted before such an email would have been effective. My understanding is that ultimately it was the hotel manager that agreed to the refund but my guess is that this was done only after some pressure from Marriott because the hotel manager explicitly indicated an unwillingness to do this previously. Nonetheless, I am grateful she came around regardless as to the reasoning. Finally, I believe my particular facts were helpful. That is, the fact that I booked under SPG and my confirm emails indicated that I could opt to forfeit points in lieu of any no show charge probably helped.

I am hopeful that Marriott will publicly update its policy as relates to this type of situation. If not, this will make make me (and I suspect many others) very hesitant to make higher end points bookings. The problem is greatly exacerbated on 5 nights points bookings at such properties because you might be trading a refund of zero points for a hefty one night charge if your flight is delayed.

Fredd May 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by cletraveler (Post 31088204)
UPDATE: This has finally been resolved...

Thanks very much for this update and congratulations! ^

I've been following this thread with interest, and it has certainly caused me to be wary of this type of booking situation.

mysterym May 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for the update!

Kacee May 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cletraveler (Post 31088204)
I believe patient persistence and patient escalation moved this to a favorable resolution. Specifically, I followed closely the advice offered in post #508 and fortunately did not need to involve Elliott Advocacy. I believe the email to Mr. Sorenson was the one that finally moved things along but my guess is that all the earlier emails and efforts had to be exhausted before such an email would have been effective.

^

To save others the time of hunting it down, here's the link to the post referenced by OP: Post 508

hotelboy May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome.

Sound like the hotel got strong armed by Marriott.

EdofFX May 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 31088831)
And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome..

No, only those greedy hotel owners who wanted to gouge their customers at every opportunity would be disappointed. The rest of the world will be happy to see a fair outcome.

HNLbasedFlyer May 10, 2019 11:49 pm

I think the lesson learned - if you make a high end booking with points - make sure you plan to show up in the booking period.