Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
You can google any of those in about 10 seconds. They are public-facing emails.
True, but reposting their email addresses in public forums is simply bad manners.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by moondog
True, but reposting their email addresses in public forums is simply bad manners.
Lol

I dont see why its bad manners at all

As the other poster said, the info is readily publicly available information
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrpallante
Was somebody under the mistaken impression that Marriott (or any hotel chain) actually respects or values its customers? I have long forsaken loyalty to any hotel brand. My new policy regarding lodging is to look for the best value in each market I visit, regardless of corporate flag. In many cases, this now leads me to B&Bs, who love to have business travelers filling their beds on the weekdays. At most B&Bs, the cancellation policy is "if we cannot rebook the room, we will charge you one night's stay," which is totally reasonable. They are not trying to screw me out of a huge penalty and then still resell the room, but simply ensuring that they do not suffer needless opportunity costs. By eschewing brand loyalty, I no longer have elite status with anybody. This means that I might miss out on an occasional upgrade or a free bottle of water, but I more than make up for that by obtaining the best price on each paid night. Of course, since I own my company, every dollar spent comes out of my pocket. If I were spending OPM, my policy might change.
How do you verify whether the property was able to resell "your" room? They could, for instance, ask for an absurdly high price so that it doesn't sell, or make your room the last one to sell for the night, so that you're charged unless the property is full that night.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:01 pm

Check in even if you will not show up

We've had the same issue in the past, this is why we always check in even though we don't make it...Really ridiculous if it's due to a plane not arriving. And similarly, the person on the phone did not tell us of the charge when we informed them we wouldn't be there. We were in the dark until $800 showed up on our credit card statement..
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, even if you check in on the app, can't/won't the hotel mark you as a no show if doing so benefits the hotel?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:47 pm

No matter how much we despise any given company, posting actual email addresses in public forums should be out of bounds.
Absolutely not. Posting personal physical address and email address would be out of bounds. I see no reason publicly available business addresses or email addresses can't be reposted.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Then:

1. The system is stupid and need to be reprogrammed (remember the "system" has no will apart from what it was told to do). Everyone who had ever had to check in after a night audit know how problematic that can be - but it is a bad system design, not the ultimate answer to the problem.

2. In this case the hotel has been malicious - they knew the customer would arrive late and could have checked him in to avoid the "system" problem.
The possibility of automatically flagging, refunding, and charging raises a real problem if it is happening on the night audit. Over the years, I've probably arrived at a hotel later than midnight at least a dozen times. The reasons varied (several were a function of travel delays while others were a function of preferring to travel at night...I-95 is a lot faster in the middle of the night...and being able to milk a late checkout so 0400-1200 or 0500-1300 qualify as workable sleeping hours; several have been functions of having dinner in one city and then heading to another and dinner ran long). I think there were only two cases where I was "swept out" in the night audit (I was promptly reinstated in both cases). Usually a phone call prevented being swept out.

But that possibility is deeply concerning. Let's presume that the OP had arrived deep in the middle of the night (say, 0300 or 0400) but after the night audit had been run. Would they have been "dinged" even with a call-ahead? If so, that is a big problem (particularly if it can't be reversed).
AbyssalLoris and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The possibility of automatically flagging, refunding, and charging raises a real problem if it is happening on the night audit. Over the years, I've probably arrived at a hotel later than midnight at least a dozen times. The reasons varied (several were a function of travel delays while others were a function of preferring to travel at night...I-95 is a lot faster in the middle of the night...and being able to milk a late checkout so 0400-1200 or 0500-1300 qualify as workable sleeping hours; several have been functions of having dinner in one city and then heading to another and dinner ran long). I think there were only two cases where I was "swept out" in the night audit (I was promptly reinstated in both cases). Usually a phone call prevented being swept out.

But that possibility is deeply concerning. Let's presume that the OP had arrived deep in the middle of the night (say, 0300 or 0400) but after the night audit had been run. Would they have been "dinged" even with a call-ahead? If so, that is a big problem (particularly if it can't be reversed).
I think that there is consensus that as long as you arrive before the check-out time the next day then there is no way the property can charge the cancellation fee (even if night-audit swept you). It is if you arrive after the check-out time the next day that there is ambiguity. Regardless, the fact we're even having to hypothesize on this when the OP did call ahead is tragic.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:05 pm

To the person who said it isn't the hotel's decision to say whether you are a no-show when you arrived before checkout on the 2nd day, absolutely spot on!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
The charges weren't in the fine print, and on an on-going basis they STILL are not. They are being communicating in after-the-fact emails. I will start sending marriott hotels emails informing them I will be charging them $1,000/nt if anything falls short of my expectations during my upcoming stays. I am sure the "owners forum" will not be celebrating these charges.

Also, caveat emptor has nothing to do with fine print. Maybe learn the facts of the situation and stick to words you are able to comprehend before you start spouting off about "smearing".
Love it. But how would you execute this? Do you have Marriott's credit card number on file?
Perhaps there should be a legal framework/regulation that allows customers to upload their terms and conditions whenever a hotel accepts their booking.

Something that's really bothering me: Does anyone else think that bookings (which are here understood to be made through the program's website/app) should be opaque to hotels as to the method/amount of payment applied until after the stay is completed, so properties don't have any means to treat customers differently based on their usage of the program? Does any chain do this? If so, that alone would be a major reason for me to totally assign my loyalty to them. In other words, does any of the hotel programs make your redemption of points vs cash invisible to the property. Surely, the FA on your flight doesn't know if you redeemed miles or paid cash. Why should it be different with hotels?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Surely, the FA on your flight doesn't know if you redeemed miles or paid cash. Why should it be different with hotels?
Point taken but depends on the airline. Some do. Fare class is often included and would give away mileage redemptions over paid fares.

Also, it would be impossible to make the point redemption invisible to the property. This literally ties back to their revenue. And the property does set their own prices (with revenue management support from Marriott). So.. yeah, it would be hard to not be transparent here.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by calguy77
I have to say I really wish guest like this could get banned from Marriott. It's clear your retaliating because you didn't get your way. This entitlement of reward members and guests is what is driving rates sky high. You can try to justify your review by trying to say you didn't pass judgement based on getting charged for a no show, but, it's too late to do that. You probably got status because of a credit card and aren't a true rewards member that earned it. It's so easy to see real BonVoy members vs. the fake credit card entitled rewards members. I was recently in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, clearly the city was sold out, hotels were packed and I knew upgrades wouldn't be an option. As an Ambassador i'm grateful when I do get an upgrade. While I was checking in a "Gold" member with a Amex platinum was throwing a tantrum because the agent said they had no rooms to upgrade at this time. The part that pissed me off is when she told the agent, you better give me an upgrade or I'll write a bad review on social media about this. The agent held firm and finished checking the guest in. I wanted to say something but I couldn't. When she checked me in, she mentioned she didn't have upgrades. I said that's fine, completely understand, busy weekend. She seemed relieved that I didn't act like the previous lady. People need to remember this program isn't about entitlement, read the terms. Based on availability. Just like the OP, they are tyring to change the terms to better fit their needs. BS.
I don't condone bad behavior or expectation of automatic upgrades as a right. However, I see nothing wrong with leaving a negative review if the hotel was not up to standard (which I don't know if it was or not) - and it has nothing to do with the customer being there on points or cash. If you don't like the "fake" members, take it up with your beloved Bonvoy program. They made it so. Seems like they're happy to grab the cash from the credit card companies, but want to have no obligations in return. If you feel your "earning" it deserves some high accolade that isn't being proferred by the program as it is, then that's a problem between you and your program. Nobody forced them to make a credit card deal and nobody's forcing your loyalty to such an apparently undeserving entity that fails to reward your exalted status vis-a-vis the hoi-polloi.
levilevi and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
No matter how much we despise any given company, posting actual email addresses in public forums should be out of bounds.
FT rules seem pretty clear (of course people are free to adhere to their own more restrictive personal rules)

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#privacy

"21. Privacy

Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others. Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors)."
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot remember which chain but I believe I have seen that the CC guarantee would keep your room till 7am the next morning - in other words you can arrive in the middle of the small hours and still be OK.

Shouldn't this also applies to point booking which still requires a CC guarantee to begin with?

Basically this property is just a money grabbing outfit as it seems this is not the first time the hotel has done this to its guests, while Marriott never really helps the affected.

Seems OP has no other recourse other than dispute the charge with his credit card issuer. With this charge is never disclosed on the reservation, and the fact the flight has delayed and OP has called the hotel to inform them so (hope his cell has the call record), and OP has stayed the subsequent nights, hopefully the bank would cite with OP on the dispute. This would then serve a lesson to this property to rethink this sleazy practice which it has got away for many times in the past because it is not challenged.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
I think that there is consensus that as long as you arrive before the check-out time the next day then there is no way the property can charge the cancellation fee (even if night-audit swept you). It is if you arrive after the check-out time the next day that there is ambiguity. Regardless, the fact we're even having to hypothesize on this when the OP did call ahead is tragic.
If the night audit sweeps you, you could end up homeless when you do arrive if the hotel is sold out. Of course you don't want to be charged, but you also want a room and bed when you do arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.