Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius

to the handful of defenders who seem to be hotel owners or managers, where do you own/work? I ask because I feel people here hide behind aliases and wont tell you to your face. If they really believe this is the right way, stand behind it and tell us where. Because I'd share my opinion exactly the same as I do here, doesnt matter whether you're a hotel FD person, a manager, an owner, an owner of a management company or Arne himself.
Feel free to tell us where you work and your title first. Then I might consider the request to reveal myself.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Sleazy. I can't define it but when I see it I know what it is.

Resort fees? Sleazy.

Calling a customer who shows up late a no show? Sleazy.

Hotel managers who defend the indefensible? Sleazy.

Jacobellis v. Ohio anyone?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hotelboy

Jacobellis v. Ohio anyone?
So you are advancing the hypothesis that St. Regis’ conduct is obscene? Welcome to the party!

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 16, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 747FC

So you are advancing the hypothesis that St. Regis’ conduct is obscene? Welcome to the party!
I wouldn't call it obscene. I'd call if theft.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 747FC

I think hotelboy is referring to Powell's concurrence. But I'm not really sure what a First Amendment case really has to do with the issue here. I don't think it stretches the imagination to say that it's "sleazy" for a hotel to penalize a guest who calls and lets the hotel know that they will be late due to circumstances outside of their control. In fact, I would probably use words much harsher than "sleazy."
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Gadot
Marriott charges your credit card the rate at the time of booking with points and states that it will be refunded if you show up. Not much clearer than that
I've never seen that happen, ever.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Yeah, very similar to Arne thinking you need a passport to make a hotel reservation.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:50 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I’ve posted this elsewhere but so nobody else is caught off guard: please know that credit card travel insurance (ie Chase Sapphire) will NOT cover this. They cover prepaid reservations but not penalties.

Next you can purchase outright insurance, but expect to pay over $1,000 to insure something like a $10-20k penalty (add multiple days to a stay here or say a week in the Maldives and this is what the penalty can be).

So, if this continues to be practice, the rock and hard place is to pay a vacation surcharge of maybe $1,000 to insure against this scenario or hope for the best that a hotel will do the right thing if something beyond your control forces cancellation.

I’m firmly in the camp that says that if points are good enough to pay for your stay, those same points should be a good enough penalty if extenuating circumstances arise (or they can do the right thing).
AbyssalLoris and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
To those who are using this as an example of Marriott "ruining" SPG, I just want to point out that this is a legacy SPG hotel and I have NEVER, in over 2,000 nights at Marriott hotels, been treated like this. I've had my fair share of crazy travel situations and one reason Marriott earned my loyalty is that whenever I called either Marriott central reservations or the hotel, I've been treated fairly and like a valued guest. That is, hotels have waived cancellation fees and always protected my room for whenever I was actually able to show up.

What happened to the OP is, in a word, unacceptable. I have faith that corporate Marriott recognizes that and will be able to correct the clearly unprofessional behavior of a legacy SPG hotel.
My experience as well. Whenever I have called a Marriott Hotel directly during an IRROP they have happily modified my reservation. They turn down my offer to charge for the night or keep my points. "Don't worry Mr Kklems I have taken care it. We look forward to seeing tomorrow" Granted I haven't stayed 2000 nights but it has been over 500 with at least 5 IRROPS in that time. The most recent one was the Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal. I was in town for the Big 10 football championship and staying on points for three nights/2 rooms when the average room rate was over $400 and most hotels were sold out. That is a property I will return to in the future. Any property that didn't work with me would never see my business again. I wouldn't even mind sending a copy of my flight info to verify things but they never want it.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

Something like this happened to me years ago where the hotel tried to charge me for the day rate of some absurd amount. I just requested Amex to issue a chargeback. In those days, Amex would almost always take the side of the cardmember, where the Merchant wouldn't even have the right to present their case.

To this day, I still use Amex for anything that remotely has this kind of risk.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kklems
My experience as well. Whenever I have called a Marriott Hotel directly during an IRROP they have happily modified my reservation. They turn down my offer to charge for the night or keep my points. "Don't worry Mr Kklems I have taken care it. We look forward to seeing tomorrow" Granted I haven't stayed 2000 nights but it has been over 500 with at least 5 IRROPS in that time. The most recent one was the Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal. I was in town for the Big 10 football championship and staying on points for three nights/2 rooms when the average room rate was over $400 and most hotels were sold out. That is a property I will return to in the future. Any property that didn't work with me would never see my business again. I wouldn't even mind sending a copy of my flight info to verify things but they never want it.
We all have similar experiences (mine was at W Doha where I canceled after midnight on check in day).

This is is a rogue hotel. Under Starwood mgmt, customer had the right to forfeit the points. Under Marriott mgmt, properties can do whatever they feel like.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:09 am

Greetings from the St. Regis Aspen!

Our records indicate that you are currently reserved in a Superior King and Superior Double scheduled to arrive on December xx, 2019 and depart on December xx, 2019.

It is our ambition to deliver a unique and memorable experience for our guests. If available, please provide your flight information as we do provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the main terminal of the Aspen Airport. Our driver will be holding a St. Regis Aspen Resort sign near baggage claim.

Additionally, if you would please provide the name(s) of any other travel companions, it would be very helpful to us in enhancing your experience at the Resort. If you are traveling with any children, may we ask the number, age, and gender of your child(ren), so that we may better serve you? We try to collect as much information as possible, so that we can provide a warm welcome to each and every guest.

• Do you require your television channels to be edited for child-appropriate programming?
  • When would you prefer we schedule your turndown service in the evening?
  • Do you have any additional information that may assist us in exceeding your expectations (i.e. special occasions, in-room needs, travelling with other families, floor requests, allergies, etc.). Please note that all special requests will be honored as best we can, however are not guaranteed.

Our Concierge team will be contacting you closer to your arrival to begin making advance dining and activity arrangements for the busy season. In the meantime, if you have any general questions, our Concierge would be happy to assist you. They may be contacted at [email protected] or via phone at 970-429-9633.

We would also like to bring to your attention that a 60-day cancellation policy is in effect for the dates of your reservation. If changes are required within 60 days of your arrival date,cancellation penalties and additional fees may apply. Due to our remote resort destination we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance. Please note that a monetary fee will be assessed in the event of a cancelation within 60 days prior to arrival in the amount of $32,000.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:23 am

BTW I just cancelled the reservation explaining my displeasure and calling it a money grab. I also left bad review on TA. Should be live today or tomorrow. I suggest others leave nasty reviews if possible detailing this money grab. Taking the points are enough if you show up....why are they not enough if you don't?

BTW I didn't get any confirmation emails showing my reservation was cancelled. ANOTHER thing to watch out for!!!!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Greetings from the St. Regis Aspen!

Our records indicate that you are currently reserved in a Superior King and Superior Double scheduled to arrive on December xx, 2019 and depart on December xx, 2019.

It is our ambition to deliver a unique and memorable experience for our guests.
Well they are certainly delivering on that promise.
Loren Pechtel and jupper like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
from aruba ritz room for points; rate rules

Holding Your Reservation

• We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 728.27 USD when you make your reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.