Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Aegon, Autograph Collection - Mykonos, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

The Aegon, Autograph Collection - Mykonos, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Some
Look forward to the first review here!

Debating a quick trip to Mykonos next month to give it a try.
JBauer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
First Review

Posting this from The Blue Marlin Beach Club while we are staying at this new hotel. Background. We booked Santa Marina for 2 nights on points and couldn’t get a third so decided to try this new property out. Just for one night. It was difficult booking but ambasador made it happen. Keep in mind we are coming from luxury and a private beach.

When we arrived it was like arriving to a friends house who was kind of expecting you. There were like 15 staff standing around and no other guests. But a few guests shortly walked into the lobby. We were sat and given a surprise alcoholic drink. They wouldn’t tell us what it was until we tried it. But it was good.

A man named Manos, who seemed like a manager, was extremely kind. He sat with us and checked us in. He said they’d been open 8 days. Now for a strange part, we have the Marriott Bonvoy premiere Amex card and they wouldn’t accept it. No Amex they said.

Sounds as if the hotel has 43 rooms and they are building another section closer to the water but you didn’t hear the construction.

As for the location. It’s slightly remote. Maybe 30 mins from airport. NOT on a beach. Or even close. But it’s a 5 minute walk down a rickety street to the beach. I found it odd they didn’t offer to drive us.

They have a main pool with views out by their one restaurant and bar. It’s nice but not huge.

We were upgraded to an Infinity suite with a plunge pool. There seems to be maybe just 2 of these? But a few other rooms that share private ish plunge pools.

The room was beautiful. Amazing shower and bathroom. Free minibar non alcoholic drinks. Great bed and couches. But no view. Zero. Just a big wall. But you have a private courtyard and pool so it’s a trade off. They included buffet breakfast for us but not hot food off the menu. It was nice. Local and Greek.

I think it was because we had a suite, but they said we were entitled to a free day bed at Blue Marlin Beach Club down the road. Normally probably 60-100 Euro. So that is a great perk. Otherwise you have to “slum” it down the beach with the commoners at the public beach. Obviously still beautiful.

I feel its it’s unfair to yet judge the property on coolness etc because it’s just opened and still feels a bit empty and wayward. The staff has been great. And i expect this will be a great property. It’s more quaint which some might find comforting given the Mykonos craziness but others could feel claustrophobic.

We did get a free transport to the airport, which was great.

I cant say enough about Manos. He gave us his mobile and was incredibly helpful. At our service.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by JBauer; Aug 15, 2019 at 9:21 am Reason: Wrong name
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by JBauer
As for the location. It’s slightly remote. Maybe 30 mins from airport. NOT on a beach. Or even close. But it’s a 5 minute walk down a rickety street to the beach. I found it odd they didn’t offer to drive us.
@JBauer...thanks for the update and being the first to brave the hotel during a soft opening! Overall the stay sounded promising but for me the confirmation that it is NOT on a beach would rule it out for future stays. We've stayed at the SM twice now and will likely return. If I was willing to stay in a hotel that was not on a beach then I likely would go with one of the other Bonvoy options over this one as they are closer to town. I guess since you just stayed one night at the property (after staying at the SM) you didn't feel the need to try to go into town the evening of your stay so you likely can't comment on how easy/difficult that is.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:23 am

No Amex they said.
I spotted this online (Amex symbol was missing alongside all the other card providers on Expedia etc) and wondered if it was error, apparently not! Bit of a weird decision, but OK.

Did you see any other room types / get a feel for what was good and not good?

I booked a room for next month and looking forward to it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:39 am

As for the commute to town, we visited town from Santa Marina. That was a short ish shuttle. I can’t comment on this, but seems a bit longer and not sure about shuttles, but the Uber like apps are a life saver.

Aslo,if you’ve stayed at Santa Marina then you will be disappointed. No doubt. There’s no going back.

As for other room types, we peeked in some. There are a bunch that do have good views. Everything is very modern and I expect all the rooms are nice. Sizes I’m not sure.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Sounds great. Always good to have another option on the beautiful island of Mykonos! Thank you for the info.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks, @JBauer!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:43 pm

As for the commute to town, we visited town from Santa Marina. That was a short ish shuttle. I can’t comment on this, but seems a bit longer and not sure about shuttles, but the Uber like apps are a life saver.

Aslo,if you’ve stayed at Santa Marina then you will be disappointed. No doubt. There’s no going back.

As for other room types, we peeked in some. There are a bunch that do have good views. Everything is very modern and I expect all the rooms are nice. Sizes I’m not sure.
What apps did you use for car rides around mykonos?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Also, if you’ve stayed at Santa Marina then you will be disappointed. No doubt. There’s no going back.
So you're saying the Santa Marina is nicer than the Aegon? Please do tell!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:44 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Thanks @JBauer for the review . I had a reservation for next week, which I just cancelled. Going to book Sardinia instead.
JBauer and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:44 am

The app we used was iMove (not iMovie).

I can’t tell if the comment above is being facetious about Santa Marina, but for now that Hotel is worlds ahead of this. Namely because it’s on a private beach. And it’s been open more than 10 days. But that place also has a cache this place certainly doesn’t yet have.

This feels more more like an apartment complex around a pool. Very small.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:33 am

So I've had two stays here now and I have to say I really like this place.

I think @JBauer's previously review is mostly spot on, although I didn't find the short walk to the beach to be *that* problematic. They should also complete their second 'Revive' building by the beach before next season which will be a much better option if you want to be on the beach - this is also apparently where the spa will be when it opens.

Service was great and everyone here is super friendly. Food quality was very high (one of the highest I've seen at a resort in Europe) but then again so are prices in the restaurant which is to be expected in Mykonos. Breakfast was included on nights booked both with cash and points, it's a small but high quality buffet and a menu of made to order egg dishes / pancakes. Free soft drinks in the minibar in all rooms is a great benefit. Local welcome gift option is two very nice beach towels/blankets. The rooms are extremely stylish and feel decidedly premium, if you look super closely there are some slightly 'rustic' edges to some of the finishing but that's a Greece thing rather than a criticism of this hotel. There's no getting around the fact this place is secluded, if you are looking for somewhere in close proximity to Hora then this isn't where you should stay but it's a fairly straightforward 15 minute drive and I found the Aegean Taxi app to work very well. Pick up and drop off at the airport is included in all bookings - both pick ups were in a very nice M Class Mercedes but then the journey back to the airport was in a standard taxi. The place does have an almost residential feel (with c.40 rooms currently and 76 in total once the second Revive building is completed) but I quite like the quiet, boutique feel rather than it feeling like a large resort.

I've stayed in an Infinity Suite twice - 302 both times which I think is the better Infinity Suite as it has a much larger outdoor area and is better positioned than the adjacent suite, so gets direct sun for longer on the pool in the evening. It's a junior suite with a sofa and large bathroom rather than a suite with a separate sitting room. I also stayed in a Horizon Room (422) for a couple of nights, this was quite a bit smaller and was missing e.g. double sinks in the bathroom, but otherwise had the same finish and was also very nice. The pool in the Infinity Suite is great but given the hotel pool was never busy and you sacrifice views to get it I almost preferred the Horizon Room which had a view down to the sea.

Definitely intend to come back next year. Will also upload some photos when I get chance.
christianj and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
lost_in_translation Thanks for the further update! Some pictures of the rooms and the facilities sure would be great if you took some.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
lost_in_translation Thanks for the further update! Some pictures of the rooms and the facilities sure would be great if you took some.
Agreed!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:14 am

Photos as promised! Have more if there is anything in particular you're looking to see.

Infinity Suite bedroom

Infinity Suite entrance hall

Infinity Suite private pool (not much of a view, as discussed but this suite has a better location than the one next to it)

Making the most of the private pool

Horizon Room

Horizon Room

Horizon Room shower (no bath tubs here, including in the suites)

View from Horizon Rooms

Main hotel pool

Sunset from the beach

Dinner in the restaurant

Pudding in the restaurant
christianj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.