FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Jakarta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1961729-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-jakarta.html)

7free Nov 17, 2007 7:50 pm

Marriott in Jakarta

Hi.
I'm planning to go to Jakarta next year, and from the website i found 2 Marriott hotels in Jakarta. It is JW Marriott and Marriott Executive Apartment. From what I looked both were equally fine and had a good location and their price different is about $15 at the lowest. Anyone have any experience in any of those hotels? And how their service to MR Gold holder? Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

LH747FTL Nov 18, 2007 1:17 am

JW is a great hotel with a very nice lounge. Highly recommended.

jpatokal Nov 19, 2007 12:50 am

The JW Marriott Jakarta is an excellent hotel, and in fact that's where I'm staying right now. Golds are treated well: you'll get access to the excellent lounge, which serves up breakfast, tea and almost-dinner with free booze to boot.

In Jakarta, though, hotel location is a critical factor because the traffic jams can be so hideous, and the JW scores a little lower in this respect because it's a bit to the south of the city core. Whereabouts will you be working?

camsean Nov 19, 2007 1:26 am

The Mayflower apartments are very new and very nice indeed. As they are serviced apartments they are perhaps are little more spacious than std rooms at the JW.

They are pretty close to each other but the Mayflower apartments are probably a little more accessible as they are on a main road which helps to avoid traffic ion the smaller streets around the JW.

HB-IWC Nov 19, 2007 2:07 am

If you want your stay to credit to your MR account, you should go to the JW and not to the executive apartments, as stays there are not included in the MR program.

As for the JW, I concur with what the other posters have said; the JW is a great hotel and the lounge on the 29th floor is really nice. The lounge breakfast spread is pretty extensive and in the evening there is a buffet and a live cooking station (no live cooking in Sat and Sun). The evening lounge spread has declined quite a bit over the past 2-3 years, but it is still pretty ok.

As a MR Gold, you should normally get upgraded to the next level room, and that includes suites. As such, booking a quality room will upgrade you to the club level (floors 28, 29 and 30), booking a club room will get you a Governor suite. Booking a Governor suite will get you a Mayflower suite. Booking a Mayflower suite will get you a Diplomat Suite and booking the latter will get you the JW Marriot Suite.

Originally Posted by jpatokal (Post 8753520)
In Jakarta, though, hotel location is a critical factor because the traffic jams can be so hideous, and the JW scores a little lower in this respect because it's a bit to the south of the city core. Whereabouts will you be working?

Agree about the traffic jams, but the Marriott Executive Apartments, which are located on Sudirman Avenue are even worse. At least the JW is located outside the 3-in-1 zone.

7free Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am

Thanks for all responses, really appreciate it.

Whereabouts will you be working?

I'm going to work around Senayan area, so which one is the closest?:rolleyes:

Agree about the traffic jams, but the Marriott Executive Apartments, which are located on Sudirman Avenue are even worse. At least the JW is located outside the 3-in-1 zone.
What is this 3-in-1 zone? Is this a rule that in a car at least have 3 passengers?
So if I'm using a taxi from that area with me as the only passenger, I'm not allowed to pass it?:confused:

Thanks a lot.:D

HB-IWC Nov 19, 2007 2:35 am

Originally Posted by 7free (Post 8753661)
I'm going to work around Senayan area, so which one is the closest?

What is this 3-in-1 zone? Is this a rule that in a car at least have 3 passengers? So if I'm using a taxi from that area with me as the only passenger, I'm not allowed to pass it?

The Senayan area should be easily accessible from both places, albeit after dragging yourself through extensive traffic jams.

The 3-in-1 rule requires cars to contain at least 3 passengers between 7am and 10am and again between 4.30pm and 7pm, but taxis are exempt from this rule.

I'd go for the JW: room upgrade, excellent lounge and your stay will credit to your MR account.

7free Nov 19, 2007 2:41 am

Originally Posted by HB-IWC (Post 8753682)
The Senayan area should be easily accessible from both places, albeit after dragging yourself through extensive traffic jams.

The 3-in-1 rule requires cars to contain at least 3 passengers between 7am and 10am and again between 4.30pm and 7pm, but taxis are exempt from this rule.

I'd go for the JW: room upgrade, excellent lounge and your stay will credit to your MR account.

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply ^. So I will stay at the JW then.:D

BKKLEE Jul 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Review of JW Jakarta

Just completed a 3-day stay at the JW Jakarta.
Not the hotels fault but the Indonesian immigration system seems to be the same as it was 37 years ago when I last visited and it took 4 1/2 hours to get thru passport control - they never opened any additional counters to handle the massive number of folks arriving - followed by having to find my baggage, long since removed due to the delay in clearing passport control, and my Benz (thru Silver bird) reserved by the hotel long since given to another as they figured I just wasn't showing up.
Advise, if you don't have to go to Jakarta, DON'T go - the only way this country will ever spend some of the visa money and/or oil revenues on updating their immigration system is for their hotels to be vacant.
Once we arrived at the hotel at 9:45PM - arrived at the airport at 4PM - as traffic conditions added another hour the property did upgrade our room and provide exec lounge access. Jacuzzi was used on our 2nd/3rd days and the hotel then arranged for our return limo trip to the airport. Just remember to keep aside 150,000 Rupiah per person for departure taxes.

The JW Marriott Jakarta is an excellent hotel, and in fact that's where I'm staying right now. Golds are treated well: you'll get access to the excellent lounge, which serves up breakfast, tea and almost-dinner with free booze to boot.

kcblakely Jul 21, 2010 12:39 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 14337309)
Advise, if you don't have to go to Jakarta, DON'T go

Unfortunately, I have to agree, Jakarta is a $h1thole.

mapu Jul 21, 2010 6:15 am

Wasn't the JW bombed twice in the past? Even if it's a fine hotel, that would kinda put me off.

BKKLEE Jul 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Yes it was but they've added a significant amount of addditional security and blast walls (and after the red shirt occupation and burning of Rajaprasong, no the previous bombings did not put me off)

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 14338743)
Wasn't the JW bombed twice in the past? Even if it's a fine hotel, that would kinda put me off.

vilntrav Dec 26, 2010 12:03 pm

I'm planning for some vacation in Asia in february, in places where they are Marriott properties (unfortunately not in Hong Kong or in Taipeh if I am right).
So I thought three days at Marriott Singapore and one week at Marriott Djakarta would be interesting. I thought also about Kuala Lumpur but gave up because of lack of flights availabilities.

So those of you who went at Marriott Djakarta recently, is it such an horrible place ? Businessweek is touting Indonesia, that's what put me on Djakarta.
I just need food drinks and hot weather, maybe some exotism.

Flyer888 Dec 27, 2010 12:22 am

Originally Posted by vilntrav (Post 15525414)
I'm planning for some vacation in Asia in february, in places where they are Marriott properties (unfortunately not in Hong Kong or in Taipeh if I am right).
So I thought three days at Marriott Singapore and one week at Marriott Djakarta would be interesting. I thought also about Kuala Lumpur but gave up because of lack of flights availabilities.

So those of you who went at Marriott Djakarta recently, is it such an horrible place ? Businessweek is touting Indonesia, that's what put me on Djakarta.
I just need food drinks and hot weather, maybe some exotism.

There are 4 Marriott brand hotels in Hong Kong, one in HCM City, Vietnam, and the one in Nagoya, Japan is very nice too.

vilntrav Dec 27, 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Flyer888 (Post 15528350)
There are 4 Marriott brand hotels in Hong Kong, one in HCM City, Vietnam, and the one in Nagoya, Japan is very nice too.

I missed Honk Kong because I forgot it was returned to China in 1997...

Vietnam is out of my range because I can't get a visa (I'll check if they can do it by snail mail, just in case) and I am told I can't get it upon arrival at the airport.

I always dreamt of traveling to Japan, so I will review this option.