Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott hotels that participate in loyalty program in addition to Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I find it interesting that some Marriott properties also participate in a loyalty program besides Marriott Bonvoy.

For example, the following Autograph Collection properties also participate in something called Independent Collection:

Annapolis Waterfront Hotel (Annapolis, Maryland)
Blue Moon (Miami Beach, Florida)
The Envoy Hotel (Boston, Massachusetts)
The Winter Haven (Miami Beach, Florida)

Here are the benefits of Independent Collection:

I know the Prince-owned properties in Japan and Hawaii also participate in Prince's loyalty program.

Both of these competing loyalty programs offer benefits that undercut the benefits of Marriott Bonvoy; namely upgrades and a late checkout.

So, which program takes precedence? If there's one suite left who gets it? The Bonvoy customer or the customer from one of these other programs?

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So, which program takes precedence? If there's one suite left who gets it? The Bonvoy customer or the customer from one of these other programs?
Presumably the customer who has more value to the specific property, or who works for an employer who has high value to the property. As it should be.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Presumably the customer who has more value to the specific property, or who works for an employer who has high value to the property. As it should be.
Yep. People around these parts (not accusing OP, just saying) tend to forget that properties are run by individual businesspeople with their own P&Ls, not just controlled from on high by corporate HQ.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Except most reasonable people would presume a Marriott property would only use Marriott's loyalty program.

Also participating in the Independent Collection loyalty program is no different than a hotel also participating in say Hyatt's program.

It would be interesting to know whether Marriott's agreements with hotels allow this or whether this is a rogue group of properties.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arlflyer

Yep. People around these parts (not accusing OP, just saying) tend to forget that properties are run by individual businesspeople with their own P&Ls, not just controlled from on high by corporate HQ.
And even when the property is managed by a management company with dozens or hundreds of hotels, the local GM has tremendous latitude and will be responsible for their P&L.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I find it interesting that some Marriott properties also participate in a loyalty program besides Marriott Bonvoy.

For example, the following Autograph Collection properties also participate in something called Independent Collection:

Annapolis Waterfront Hotel (Annapolis, Maryland)
Blue Moon (Miami Beach, Florida)
The Envoy Hotel (Boston, Massachusetts)
The Winter Haven (Miami Beach, Florida)

Here are the benefits of Independent Collection:

I know the Prince-owned properties in Japan and Hawaii also participate in Prince's loyalty program.

Both of these competing loyalty programs offer benefits that undercut the benefits of Marriott Bonvoy; namely upgrades and a late checkout.

@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker, Can you confirm which program takes precedence?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker, Can you confirm which program takes precedence?
What makes you assume there's some sort of "precedence"?

This is no different than two Bonvoy elite customers vying for the same upgrade.
bhrubin and Segments like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
What's the difference between this and, for example, a Kempinski also being part of Leading Hotels of the World?

Or, closer to home, a Design Hotel that's opted into Marriott also being a member of, er, Design Hotels?

These are just marketing programmes to push room sales at independently-owned and managed hotels including Marriott's programmes branded Autograph, Design, Tribute Portfolio, Luxury Collection etc.

As for which guest gets priority, well, I'm always super nice and smiley to the front desk when I arrive somewhere rather than rock up with an entitled DYKWIA scowl on my face. I think this, along with revenue and previous stay history, will have more influence on your treatment.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And even when the property is managed by a management company with dozens or hundreds of hotels, the local GM has tremendous latitude and will be responsible for their P&L.
And, I would add, responsible to the owners much more than to Marriott. Ultimately, Marriott has to keep the owners happy.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What makes you assume there's some sort of "precedence"?

This is no different than two Bonvoy elite customers vying for the same upgrade.
Originally Posted by ftrichard
What's the difference between this and, for example, a Kempinski also being part of Leading Hotels of the World?

Or, closer to home, a Design Hotel that's opted into Marriott also being a member of, er, Design Hotels?

These are just marketing programmes to push room sales at independently-owned and managed hotels including Marriott's programmes branded Autograph, Design, Tribute Portfolio, Luxury Collection etc.

As for which guest gets priority, well, I'm always super nice and smiley to the front desk when I arrive somewhere rather than rock up with an entitled DYKWIA scowl on my face. I think this, along with revenue and previous stay history, will have more influence on your treatment.
Agree w/ both.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that there's also "competition" from FHR/Virtuoso guests even though those aren't loyalty programs strictly speaking. IIRC RC has a similar program for designated travel agents and Starwood had something similar for certain brands, but I don't know what happened to the program during the merger.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's totally different. This is a competing brand of boutique hotels with its own fully fledged loyalty program. This would be akin to a Marriott property also participating in Hyatt, Hilton, IHG or whatever.

Marriott's terms and conditions say you get an upgrade to the best available room or suite at the time of check-in. It doesn't say you get an upgrade to the best available room allocated to Marriott.

Originally Posted by ftrichard

The contracts that I've seen for management, franchising or licensing to a third-party operator always give Marriott exclusivity and prohibit competing against Marriott. This isn't a program with special promotional rates. If you go to the websites of some of these properties you would have no idea they are Autograph Collection properties. It's very, very unusual.

To my knowledge, Design doesn't have its own loyalty program that competes against Marriott. But regardless, Design is Design.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
It's totally different. This is a competing brand of boutique hotels with its own fully fledged loyalty program. This would be akin to a Marriott property also participating in Hyatt, Hilton, IHG or whatever.

Marriott's terms and conditions say you get an upgrade to the best available room or suite at the time of check-in. It doesn't say you get an upgrade to the best available room allocated to Marriott.
No, it's really not. Again, between two Bonvoy members with the same status, who gets the upgrade? The answer is exactly the same.

There's no allocations of rooms between loyalty programs.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Mar 21, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I could easily imagine a hotel giving preference for upgrades to participants in some other smaller program versus Bonvoy. For instance in the case of Prince hotels, it could be viewed very differently by hotel management whether they're looking at a guest who stays 100+ nights in one of the twenty or so Prince properties (mostly located in Japan) versus someone whom they assume stays those hundred nights at some USA Sheraton.

In the case of Virtuoso, the hotel is likely to favor clients of some particular travel agent whom they know and who sends them customers on a regular basis. Moreover, Virtuoso upgrades tend to be confirmed close to the time of booking.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

No, it's really not. Again, between two Bonvoy members with the same status, who gets the upgrade? The answer is exactly the same.
The person who has the first check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.