Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Delta Hotels Saskatoon Downtown - Canada [Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening January '19. No category yet. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...toon-downtown/

"Experience the largest hotel in Saskatoon at the all-new Delta Hotels Saskatoon Downtown. Located in the heart of downtown near many area businesses and attractions, this thoughtfully designed hotel provides the perfect place to stay. Enjoy breathtaking views of the South Saskatchewan River, heated underground parking, an indoor pool, and 15,000 square feet of meeting space all on one level. Take advantage of our free Wi-Fi, complimentary bottled water and full-service fitness center. Allow our world-class culinary team to delight you. Or step out and indulge at one of the many nearby restaurants. Check out River Landing, Broadway and Midtown Plaza for shopping and entertainment. Or simply sit back and relax in one of our new guest rooms featuring ultra-comfortable beds, workspaces designed to keep you focused, and luxurious bath amenities
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I stayed at the Delta Saskatoon Downtown this weekend. I am a long standing patron of the Sharaton Cavalier Saskatoon, just a few hundred yards away, but thought I'd try this based upon price differential. I stayed at it many many years ago when it was a Renaissance but more recently it was a Radisson. The location is central, right by the river and in walking distance of some of the area's best restaurants. It is also only a few hundred yards from the Delta Bessborough, an iconic older style Canadian Pacific Railroad Hotel, similar to many built across Canada in the 1930's. Having 2 Delta's within a couple of hundred yards from each other, both downtown, is going to get confusing and I suspect that the Bessborough, being more of a historic hotel, might end up an Autograph Collection eventually, if it stays in the Marriott fold.

The Delta Downtown, however, is a large 1980's tower that, as Sharon said, has only just rebranded as a Delta. The rooms are getting a little worn and dated but a nice handwritten welcome note from the GM, stated that a full renovation is planned this summer. Part of that renovation will be the addition of a Lounge, as there is none at present. In lieu of this they offered full breakfast in the restaurant. The card said continental breakfast for member plus one but in actuality the server on both days said I could choose anything off the menu. Breakfast both days came to $16-20 Canadian, which wasn't bad on a $118 rate.

As there was no lounge yet there were no soft drinks or evening hors d'ouevres, a strength of the nearby Sheraton ( although at a $250 rate at the Sheraton not really missed). I also received the 1000 welcome points in addition, as the breakfast was instead of the lounge. Parking was comped, although when I glanced in the parkade it had been for everyone, perhaps because it was a weekend, but I don't know.

Status was acknowledged at check in and I was upgraded to the Presidential suite. It was large, on the top floor with nice views of the river, but as I said a little dated. However, it was a nice gesture, much appreciated and I enjoyed the jetted tub. I expect that things will be more modern and updated after the renos but then I would expect the prices to rise to match the Sheraton if and when it does.

In comparison the Sheraton is recently renovated and has a great steakhouse, a popular cocktail bar, a modern family restaurant and large convention facilities. It is full of businessmen during the week and sports teams at weekends. It has an large waterpark. As such it is busy even at weekends and is often noisy with kids. The Delta also has waterslides but they were closed for repairs. The hotel was also busy with sports teams but I noticed no noise at all. The location for both is comparable, the Sheraton being opposite the other Delta mentioned and within a quarter mile. Both are fairly equidistant from downtown shopping , restaurants and bars. The bar and restaurant are cheaper at the Delta but still perfectly adequate, although perhaps not as on trend. Right now, pre renovation, the Sheraton definitely has the edge but if the Delta keeps its prices where they are it is perfectly adequate and definitely worthy of consideration. I'm interested to check it in a year or so to see it after the renovations promised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.