Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott opening 1700 new hotels by 2021

Marriott opening 1700 new hotels by 2021

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Isn’t there a FourPts and a Design Hotel there?
Four points is now a Mercure (?) ... and yes you are right. There is a design hotel, which I think is very new.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Keep in mind these hotels are not being developed by Marriott. They are being developed by independent developers who sign franchise agreements with Marriott. The developers choose the locations.
Thanks for clarifying. So if I see a sign saying Marriott somewhere, it's not actually Marriott per se that are building them. It's the people who are intending on running the franchise? How often is this the case?

Stupid questions.... i know
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
If referring to penang Malaysia there is an edition hotel in Georgetown, but that’s it
Sadly. There was a very nice (and cheap) Four Points by Sheraton that de-flagged last year.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Wyndham has over 8000 hotels.

Count rooms, not properties. Mariott has 1.2 million; Wyndham isn't even #2 with 675K.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Thanks for clarifying. So if I see a sign saying Marriott somewhere, it's not actually Marriott per se that are building them. It's the people who are intending on running the franchise? How often is this the case?

Hotels are almost always franchised whether Marriott, Hilton, or IHG. The developers often have properties in multiple brands.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Hotels are almost always franchised whether Marriott, Hilton, or IHG. The developers often have properties in multiple brands.
Not necessarily.

I'll defer to an expert but, as I've always understood it, I believe there is a different between a franchise and a license. The owner gets a franchise for whatever brand and then can either contract with that brand's parent company -- in the case of Marriott -- to manage the property or they can get a license from Marriott for a third-party management company to operate the property.

Between Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott, Marriott manages far fewer of its full-service properties across all of its brands than Hyatt or Hilton.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 19, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Count rooms, not properties. Mariott has 1.2 million; Wyndham isn't even #2 with 675K.
Isn't footprint more important than number of rooms?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by SQTraveller

marriott is like McDonald’s, they franchise. In exchange for franchise fees Marriott provides marketing and other support the franchise is operated by a third party, you and I can for example buy a franchise if you have the required cash and hit the other requirements. Majority of franchises are owned by corproations

one key benefit for the franchisee is the brand value. When we as travelers search for hotels we gravitate towards brands. I am 100% brand loyal to Marriott because I want my points. A franchise will gladly pay Marriott a fee in order to get this loyalty (do not bash bonvoy, wrong thread)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Not necessarily.

I'll defer to an expert but, as I've always understood it, I believe there is a different between a franchise and a license. The owner gets a franchise for whatever brand and then can either contract with that brand's parent company -- in the case of Marriott -- to manage the property or they can get a license from Marriott for a third-party management company to operate the property.

Between Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott, Marriott manages far fewer of its full-service properties across all of its brands than Hyatt or Hilton.
I agree I'm using the term franchise loosely, rather than in the purely legal sense.

The practical issue, however, is regardless of the legal characterization, none of the major hotel companies are deciding whether to build in country/city X. Rather, they have marketing and sales people marketing to hotel developers to encourage them to build.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

marriott is like McDonald’s, they franchise. In exchange for franchise fees Marriott provides marketing and other support the franchise is operated by a third party, you and I can for example buy a franchise if you have the required cash and hit the other requirements. Majority of franchises are owned by corproations

one key benefit for the franchisee is the brand value. When we as travelers search for hotels we gravitate towards brands. I am 100% brand loyal to Marriott because I want my points. A franchise will gladly pay Marriott a fee in order to get this loyalty (do not bash bonvoy, wrong thread)
I am curious because I see Marriott signs at construction sites when I travel and I get excited as I am a Marriott customer and wonder how likely it is these franchisees will change to another brand.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
They can always change brands but likely an exit fee if terminated early. I’m guessing here of course but sounds logical
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:38 pm

And they will likely need bank approval to change brands as financing was likely conditioned on that.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
While I do enjoy full service hotels. My job has me in a bunch of Springhills, Courtyards, and Fairfield’s when that’s all that is around. I end up in a bunch of small towns all over the US. Several times a year I end up in a Hampton bcs there isn’t a Marriott within a 45min drive. If a town can support a Hampton or Holiday Inn Express, it should be able to support a Fairfield or Springhill. I’d love to see Marriott spread out more.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
With so many new hotels and such incompetent new management I bet the new hotels screw elites by flagrantly ignoring provision of elite benefits in the knowledge that there will be no consequences for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.