Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Staff made a mistake & now I feel bad... fair policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I’m currently staying at a Marriott in the Middle East. English is not the local language and fluency varies.

I made arrangements through the hotel for transport back to the airport. The hotel apparently contracts this to a third party car service, though you pay via your hotel room bill.

Earlier today I’m in my room and I get a call from the front desk, saying my driver is waiting. Rut-roh. When I booked my airport transfer apparently the man misunderstood my “xx PM” for “xx AM.” I explain to the person there has been some mix-up and I had reserved transport for the same time in the evening. I am asked to provide a visual description of the person who made my arrangements for me (a man? In a suit? Behind the desk?) and told my car is confirmed for tonight.

Later today I go and confirm in person my car for tonight (the mix-up has made me nervous). I’m told that the man who made my original reservation will now have to pay for the original driver who arrived to no passenger. That transport fee is about 10% of the average monthly salary in this country. (I’m still paying/paid for my correct time car service.)

I feel very bad about this situation - though I know I said PM when booking the car (I would not have chosen to wait for more than 12 hours at the airport and had other things to do today). I want to do something... but maybe there is nothing to be done. Pay for it? Is that rewarding the hotel for this policy? Write the manager a note expressing that I found this policy uncomfortable or something?

Ugh.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lefleur
I’m told that the man who made my original reservation will now have to pay for the original driver who arrived to no passenger.
No reason for the hotel staff to tell you this, other than to guilt trip you. But that's the local culture.

Pay for what you owe - the PM car ride - and do nothing else. Do not feel bad for anyone.
altabello and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You did nothing wrong, so you have nothing to feel bad about. You certainly shouldn't pay anything out of your pocket for the hotel's mistake.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I’m currently staying at a Marriott in the Middle East. English is not the local language and fluency varies.

I made arrangements through the hotel for transport back to the airport. The hotel apparently contracts this to a third party car service, though you pay via your hotel room bill.

Earlier today I’m in my room and I get a call from the front desk, saying my driver is waiting. Rut-roh. When I booked my airport transfer apparently the man misunderstood my “xx PM” for “xx AM.” I explain to the person there has been some mix-up and I had reserved transport for the same time in the evening. I am asked to provide a visual description of the person who made my arrangements for me (a man? In a suit? Behind the desk?) and told my car is confirmed for tonight.

Later today I go and confirm in person my car for tonight (the mix-up has made me nervous). I’m told that the man who made my original reservation will now have to pay for the original driver who arrived to no passenger. That transport fee is about 10% of the average monthly salary in this country. (I’m still paying/paid for my correct time car service.)

I feel very bad about this situation - though I know I said PM when booking the car (I would not have chosen to wait for more than 12 hours at the airport and had other things to do today). I want to do something... but maybe there is nothing to be done. Pay for it? Is that rewarding the hotel for this policy? Write the manager a note expressing that I found this policy uncomfortable or something?

Ugh.
out of curiosity is Uber in the country you are in?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, there is Uber and Careem (ME version of Uber or Lyft) but they are both technically illegal here and there is a checkpoint on the road into the airport that means you run the risk of ending up in trouble (fines) if you use them to the airport. I have used Uber here for other trips though, as well as a taxi when I was in a pinch.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:36 pm

Actually the PM and AM thing is just very confusing. Many Europeans used military time.

And most people on FT (English being their first language) cannot agree what 12pm means.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually the PM and AM thing is just very confusing. Many Europeans used military time.

And most people on FT (English being their first language) cannot agree what 12pm means.
I thought that too since am/pm is only used to a large extent in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and I think the Philippines. I would think it could be extremely confusing to some staff to use for example 6:00 p.m. instead of 1800.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes — I should’ve (in retrospect) used 24 hour time, which I normally do in this part of the world for clarity.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some countries have labor laws that prohibit an employer from charging an employee for most types of normal mistakes on the job. Others obviously do not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:48 pm

I feel you feeling bad the employee, and possibly wanting to compensate the employee, is no different than the tipping practiced in the US (in terms of philosophy)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't know anyone over the age of 5 who doesn't know what 12pm means.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You don't know me then. Even though I'm quite sure I know what it means, I actually double-check just to be sure every time I use it. Then I'm that person who years ago was 24 hours late for a flight that departed at 12:xx AM (i.e. I arrived for check-in the same date as the flight).
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I too know many that do know, but they still get it wrong from time to time writing 12PM for midnight knowing a minute later is 12:01AM. If I really want to mess them up I say quarter till or quarter past, too often it comes back as 25 minutes! Like a lot of knowledge, if you don't use it you lose it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:49 pm

Your empathy is admirable. Without knowing more about the country and the leadership at that hotel, it's hard to know the best course of action to help alleviate the problem. My guess would be that this type of situation is not going to be changed by your intervention.

Sometimes, bad situations can't be changed by outsiders.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not your fault and therefore nothing to feel odd about.

For your sake in the future, it points to the importance of using local conventions, e.g. 24-hour clock in countries which use that and also to always have the staff read back the reservation in full so that you can hear exactly what they think you have said.
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.