Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien New York, Central Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien New York, Central Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

At checkout it was reiterated again no breakfast. The FD agent even wrote a note on my printed folio stating as such. Coincidentally after I had checked out the Bonvoy chat I had also been having with the hotel finally said to go have breakfast, charge the room, and they would credit. But I had already been out of the hotel for an hour by the time that had come through (it also contradicted previous chats back which were consistent with the no breakfast message). I will reach out to Bonvoy for my credit. I have it in writing.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I look forward to the Lurker's follow-up where they let us know they have "educated" the property and will be offering full benefits going forward
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Phil, the GM at the Westin LAX, is also a great advocate for "us" an has always maintained a presence on FT
dgreen12 and markko like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
At checkout it was reiterated again no breakfast. The FD agent even wrote a note on my printed folio stating as such. Coincidentally after I had checked out the Bonvoy chat I had also been having with the hotel finally said to go have breakfast, charge the room, and they would credit. But I had already been out of the hotel for an hour by the time that had come through (it also contradicted previous chats back which were consistent with the no breakfast message). I will reach out to Bonvoy for my credit. I have it in writing.
Ahh ... didn't think of that. Chat would be a good way, with a screen shot, to document request for benefits and request for guarantee.

This property is operated by M&R Hotel Management. They manage 29 properties, most in NYC, with a mix of IHG/Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton brands, mostly limited service. See https://www.mrhotelgroup.com/history/

Robert Arigo is over all of their properties in NYC. https://www.mrhotelgroup.com/teams/robert-arigo/

What is surprising is that the GM is an experienced Le Meridien GM, who was previously GM of the LM Boston Cambridge.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shahramkhan/

How did that property treat elites?

My recommendation is to complain to Marriott in writing with cc to Arigo and the GM.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I look forward to the Lurker's follow-up where they let us know they have "educated" the property and will be offering full benefits going forward
Most of the "education" these days involves customers being advised the property's denial of breakfast/upgrade/other benefits was correct.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Glad I didn’t book this place for the weekend!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Glad I didn’t book this place for the weekend!
Could have got $100 in compensation!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Yes, I can. Richard Chapman, General Manager of the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok, posts quite frequently for his property.

Here's a recent sample post: Link

He joined in May 2011 and has 174 posts.
The (former?) general manager at 4Pts LAX and the LAX Westin has been active on FT.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Most of the "education" these days involves customers being advised the property's denial of breakfast/upgrade/other benefits was correct.
Bonvoyification at its best.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I switched a reward stay from Residence Inn Central Park to this hotel. Thinking I should switch back.

Is the Sheraton Times Square the only full-service Bonvoy Cat 5 property in Manhattan? Does not seem well liked so was avoiding that property.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:35 am

What category is the element? It's not exactly full service but seems relatively nice and new, and it's in midtown, although more toward west side than the Sheraton IIRC.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Could have got $100 in compensation!
I don't believe there is any way to enforce that if the property refuses to pay, which I'm pretty sure this one would have.

Originally Posted by holocker
I switched a reward stay from Residence Inn Central Park to this hotel. Thinking I should switch back.
Yup.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I am going to re-book the residence inn in case this property does not fulfill the brand requirements.

Had residence inn and switched to Le Meridien.

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Just checked in to the hotel. I believe it’s fairly new. I am being told that they do not offer a free breakfast to platinum’s, and even quoted that the Marriott website was wrong. Another person I spoke to said they don’t offer breakfast yet because they don’t have a contract with the restaurant. They told me I can have 1000 points. Does this qualify for the hundred dollar compensation?
Do they charge a destination fee? When booked there wasn't any.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:54 am

I tried this property for a recent stay despite the negative reviews. The negative reviews are justified.

Location is fine, if you need to be in the area. It's literally next door to the old Parker Meridien (now Parker Hyatt).

Elite treatment is inconsistent at best and definitely lacking. When I checked in, the front desk agent proactively explained that their restaurant isn't set up yet so they can't offer breakfast, but they'll automatically give me the 1000 points and an extra 1000 for the trouble. On the other hand, the agent next to him said absolutely nothing about the welcome gift to the person checking in next to me until the guest asked about the Platinum breakfast benefit. Other Agent said that they don't have breakfast so he'll just have to get points - no apology and no offer of the extra 1000 points even though I'm pretty sure that guy heard my check-in agent offer it. It's bizarre to me that two workers literally standing next to each other are offering such different approaches.

Unfortunately the other guy may have actually gotten the better end of the deal: my folio posted without any welcome bonus points at all. So it was nice of them to offer an extra 1000 points but they fell down by not actually giving them to me.

I did get upgraded to a "1 bedroom suite." It's more of a junior suite in my view - there's no wall between the "bedroom" and "living room" - but it definitely was an upgrade, which I find can be pretty rare in Manhattan. So legitimate positive points for the hotel on that front.

I found the room unremarkable and a bit tired feeling. Nothing stood out as obviously decrepit but nothing appeared terribly new or impressive either. The newest piece of technology they had appeared to be the coffee maker, which had an amazingly bright pulsing button on it. I had to unplug it because of how bright it was while I was trying to sleep. The décor generally seems to follow an early 20th century "brass and black" theme, which I think contributes to the rooms feeling dated (because it's a deliberately old-fashioned look to start with).

The closet was a little bizarre - it was a wardrobe mounted on a base maybe 2-3 feet up off the ground. That wasn't an issue for me but folks who have trouble reaching high or who bring very long items to hang (such as full-length dresses) may have trouble with it. I didn't see a suitcase rack anywhere in the room and there wasn't space at the bottom of the closet because of that 2-3 foot base.

I didn't use the roof lounge, restaurant, or other features and can't comment on those. One noteworthy advantage for this hotel is that they don't (yet) charge a destination fee. That's increasingly rare for New York and a true positive for them. But based on their lackluster performance elsewhere I suspect it won't be long before they start adding these ticky-tack fees to try to pump up revenue.

Bottom line summary:
Elite treatment: Below Average to Far Below Average
Physical space: Below Average
Destination fee: Excellent (they don't charge one)

Hopefully their Flyertalk account will come back and maybe help address those missing points that never hit my account. Short of that, I doubt I'll return and would advise others to stay away. The Sheraton Times Square is not a particularly good hotel but even it is better than this one and it's close enough that it's worth staying there instead.
EuropeanPete and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:11 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by matravelguy
Hopefully their Flyertalk account will come back and maybe help address those missing points that never hit my account. Short of that, I doubt I'll return and would advise others to stay away. The Sheraton Times Square is not a particularly good hotel but even it is better than this one and it's close enough that it's worth staying there instead.
Please send us an email with your information, so we may look into your missing points further: [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.