Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I cannot for the life of me imagine wasting a bunch of time on a hotel chain by keeping a spreadsheet due to all of their errors. I would have switched long before it came to that point. It's easy to change loyalty programs. So either it's really, really bad and one moves their business elsewhere or it's not really that bad and people are using any issues to blame Marriott or SPG, depending on which pre-merger chain they were loyal to.
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
yes and no.

just in the past few days for me:

1. website login will not work

I always have a hard reconciling the reports on FT with my own experience. I feel like my Marriott involvement is more complicated than average with 125-150 nights a year, mostly of one night stays, across 10-15 of the brands, and on multiple continents. Yet ... other than three weeks or so after 8/18 and the last half of February, everything has been right.

I read all these reports of points not posting properly and spreadsheets, so I thought maybe I'm missing some .... but after creating a spreadsheet, everything is posting correctly 90 percent of the time. A couple of times they posted too high (earning points on tips, taxes) and a couple of times they posted too low (couldn't really figure out why it was 50 points less than what I thought it should have been). Overall, I earned more points on the tips and taxes than the inexplicable 50 points (maybe it was tips ???). Definitely not worth obsessing about or the time involved.

And yes, I've never heard of a website with 95 percent availability and the inability to search is frustrating. Similarly, Arne needs to get out of the Prius and skip the Ted Talks while getting out and engaging with employees and customers. I remain confused by why I click on download in the app/website if I want a bill (new feature in the past couple of weeks) and get the bill while others report they don't, why I click on register for the bonus and it works, why all my stays keep posting except for the two weeks after 2/13 etc. I also try to reconcile the reports on her with the data from the hotel operators and Marriott which suggest no impact from the merger.

Now ... if the hotels can consistently deliver program benefits, someone can fix the website to sort by price, and the box at the top to remember my MR number all will be very good. And ... if they would get rid of the SNA program, it would be even better!
DJ_Iceman and JBord like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:49 pm

In some ways we cut each others throats on this issue.

I have had many hotels tell me that I wont get an upgrade because the whiners and complainers take them.

Maybe this changes now that they separated titanium from platinum. The general comment is that those people who stay 35 nights a year and take the 15 credit card nights complain a whole lot more than people like me who do 120+ a year.

TBH, this is why the LTPP is such a ripoff. Now the legacy people are titanium, and the best I can earn is LTP. I bet in a few months they fix it though.

Marriott sure does seem to have their head in some strange places on how they approached this whole merger....
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Well, this is why I have advocated having status with as many hotel chains as possible.
In addition to being able to compare rooms from multiple chains to decide on best value, you can book away from problematic hotel chains. When Blackstone bought up Hilton and totally trashed their chain and program, I didn't see much value so I rarely booked them.

If Marriott is as terrible as many say here, they should book with other chains. The best way to save yourself any Marriott IT issues is to not book with Marriott.
I started chasing loyalty programs with SPG a couple of decades ago but their inconsistency was so bad I switched to Marriott and was able to hit LT Plat there. After Marriott started to decline, I returned to SPG ~2012 and found SPG had improved significantly. I had ~500 SPG nights and ~1200 Marriott nights when the merger was announced. Both pre-merger programs had their pluses and minuses.

But back to possible solutions. I understand Hilton's improved greatly; why not switch over to them? Or Hyatt since you indicate you're used to small footprints ala pre-merger SPG? Either program offers comparable benefits to Marriott - lounges, suites, late checkout - as part of their programs.

I cannot for the life of me imagine wasting a bunch of time on a hotel chain by keeping a spreadsheet due to all of their errors. I would have switched long before it came to that point. It's easy to change loyalty programs. So either it's really, really bad and one moves their business elsewhere or it's not really that bad and people are using any issues to blame Marriott or SPG, depending on which pre-merger chain they were loyal to.
because the benefits outweigh the pain of the effort, still (to me). I didnt like the crap footprint of spg and dont want to return to that with Hyatt. Hilton's rewards program is garbage. They hand out diamond like Oprah would on her show.

I agree with your point that a lot of people here who are regularly threatening to switch should. Try it and see, if it works better then great and if not, Bonvoy isnt goin anywhere. There are issues, but what's frustrating is people like to complain a lot, so it turns in to a dogpile on meaningless stuff.

for me, the new program is still better than the other options. And save for the rewards program IT mess, a lot of the hotels are great. So, after doing the analysis, I keep a spreadsheet and otherwise am quite happy with the elite benefits I receive.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
yes and no.

just in the past few days for me:

1. website login will not work
2. unable register for current promotion
3. app shows incorrect number of stays and points
4. reservation changes will not work and it says to call
5. no one answers the phone line for a Tit Elite faster than 20ish minutes and even then the agent has no clue how to fix things

so, while it may very well be true that YOU are having a wonderful experience with the new, wonderful Marriott Bonvoy program, that does not mean you can simply discount our experiences.

heck, Hyatt, Hilton and even IHG have functioning websites and nearly zero issued to deal with....so that leaves Marriott Incorporated as a stand alone, IMHO.
I'm not discounting anything. I clearly stated that the IT issues are a pain point and need work in my previous posts.

That said, the rest of the benefits outweigh the IT pains, for now. If not, then I would consider switching- if this is not true for you, then why stay?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't understand the problem with getting the folios emailed. Granted, I've only stayed in two Marriott hotels since the merger (SGS and Marriott LAX), but for all stays at both properties, I declined hard copies of the folio, and for all stays at both properties, the emailed folios hit my Inbox while I was still standing at the FD checking out. I gather that not everyone here has had the same experience; but I don't understand why. Since the system is obviously capable of doing it, and doing it quickly, both on the legacy SPG and legacy Marriott sides of the house, it would have to be the FDCs who aren't doing something right, yes?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't understand the problem with getting the folios emailed. Granted, I've only stayed in two Marriott hotels since the merger (SGS and Marriott LAX), but for all stays at both properties, I declined hard copies of the folio, and for all stays at both properties, the emailed folios hit my Inbox while I was still standing at the FD checking out. I gather that not everyone here has had the same experience; but I don't understand why. Since the system is obviously capable of doing it, and doing it quickly, both on the legacy SPG and legacy Marriott sides of the house, it would have to be the FDCs who aren't doing something right, yes?
I dont know. But I've had the same FDC at the same hotel check me out multiple times and one of those times the folio didnt show up and another time nothing posted.

I'm inclined to think it is an IT issue since every now and then the most basic function of marriott.com (searching for hotels) stops working . To that extent, the FD may be issuing the email command, and nothing happens.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by nacho
Why do people have to call? I HATE to call and I still have to, here's why:
  1. There's no way I can attach my TP cert online;
  2. Agents can't handle how to put in a TP in part of a reservation - the solution is to break it into 2 and do it - apparently they don't know how to do it!
  3. Even though the agent said it's attached, it's not, so I had to call AGAIN to do it. It takes 4 calls to get this stupid cert attached.
  4. A LNF claim was left unanswered for more than 30 hours - so I had to call and the agent said ,"why do you people have to call?"
5. You cant add the name of another guest to your reservation online. So if Im redeeming points for someone else, or they may arrive before me, I have to call the Rewards line or the hotel directly. Wish Bonvoy would adopt the Hilton model allowing me to name my traveling companion when making the reservation.

6. Change in cancellation policy from 6 pm day of to 2+ days. Now if there are flight cancellations due to bad weather I must call to plead my case. As a frequent business traveler who is on the road every week, the odds of IRROPS is high. Usually not a problem getting the penalty waived due to status or hotels obvious awareness of major storms, but still a need to call that wasnt required in the past.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Hilton's rewards program is garbage. They hand out diamond like Oprah would on her show.
Hilton hands out Diamond like candy, but the benefits are still roughly in line with Titanium.

(1) Diamond gets 2 breakfasts per day every day pretty much everywhere in the system. I do not need a lawyer to figure out whether a given hotel honors elite benefits.
(2) Neither status gets many big upgrades. I get the same rooms in both chains - a non-suite sometimes of a "mini-upgraded" nature, like a corner room or on the exec floor.
(3) I get lots of bonus points.
(4) Titanium has an edge of less late-checkout hassle in most places.
(5) I have these SNAs in my account that may at some point have value, although people here seen to have mixed experiences.

As for the awards themselves, it all depends on what your goal is. Hilton gives you a faster track to the top-end aspirational awards because you earn so many points per dollar. Marriott gives you better return on real cash-replacement awards in the low categories because Hilton has completely gutted the middle/lower end value.

Hard to call Hilton's program "garbage" when most of the mechanics of it work a lot like Marriott. The past few weeks, I've actually been having better luck finding standard awards in Hilton than Marriott (looking at the top-end properties).
yurtripper likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
In my view the programs (airline and hotel) are evolving entities, and you need to keep looking for the next best deal (of which there are fewer and fewer).

40 years ago I was a Sheraton customer. Can't remember the level. I was in an upgrade suite (a real suite, with a view of the Mississippi) in the Sheraton New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Then about 35 years ago, I was one of the most frequent travelers in the US. (500k BIS, all domestic). I got a postcard from Marriott which said that if I would make just 2 stays with them, to try them out, I would get a free night. I used the free night for the Prince de Galles in Paris. When I arrived, they didn't show it as a reward stay. Luckily I had a fax (remember those?) confirmation. They upgrade us to a larger room, and sent flowers and champagne which were worth more than I paid for any other room in Europe. So I stayed with Marriott for about 20 years, getting phenomenal upgrades (my stays are 1 or 2 nights) and amazing personalized service (only required maybe once every 3 years). I got one of the first Black Cards (FD clerks would ask to see it, because they hadn't seen one before).

Then about 15 years ago, I noticed that Marriott had changed. I wasn't getting many upgrades. So, with some reluctance, I changed over to SPG. I was pleased because I got more upgrades and then they added breakfast. Of course, their website IT was among the worst of any company I have ever seen (you can find my posts on FT saying just that). But it wasn't a reason to leave.

Then, about 3 years ago, I noticed that SPG wasn't quite the same. So I began to book my hotels with a greater emphasis on my personal convenience. Stlll lots of SPG, always lots of Marriott (I was LT Plat, so I still used them, just not as much as SPG), and others.

I am NOT currently a frequent flyer (i.e - more than 300k BIS/year). I am not even a busy flyer (i.e. - more than 100k BIS/year). So my current opinion is based on judgment and history, not as many specific interactions. But what I see is the unfortunate decline into "the computer won't let me" that is affecting MANY businesses (travel and otherwise).

P.S. - My current favorite program is the one with Omni hotels. Why? Because I am a frequent visitor to one of their properties where they treat me VERY well. But repeat business means a lot. I used to be on the "50 top customers" list at the Westn Bonaventure and I was treated very well.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbrower
In my view the programs (airline and hotel) are evolving entities, and you need to keep looking for the next best deal (of which there are fewer and fewer).

40 years ago I was a Sheraton customer. Can't remember the level. I was in an upgrade suite (a real suite, with a view of the Mississippi) in the Sheraton New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Then about 35 years ago, I was one of the most frequent travelers in the US. (500k BIS, all domestic). I got a postcard from Marriott which said that if I would make just 2 stays with them, to try them out, I would get a free night. I used the free night for the Prince de Galles in Paris. When I arrived, they didn't show it as a reward stay. Luckily I had a fax (remember those?) confirmation. They upgrade us to a larger room, and sent flowers and champagne which were worth more than I paid for any other room in Europe. So I stayed with Marriott for about 20 years, getting phenomenal upgrades (my stays are 1 or 2 nights) and amazing personalized service (only required maybe once every 3 years). I got one of the first Black Cards (FD clerks would ask to see it, because they hadn't seen one before).

Then about 15 years ago, I noticed that Marriott had changed. I wasn't getting many upgrades. So, with some reluctance, I changed over to SPG. I was pleased because I got more upgrades and then they added breakfast. Of course, their website IT was among the worst of any company I have ever seen (you can find my posts on FT saying just that). But it wasn't a reason to leave.

Then, about 3 years ago, I noticed that SPG wasn't quite the same. So I began to book my hotels with a greater emphasis on my personal convenience. Stlll lots of SPG, always lots of Marriott (I was LT Plat, so I still used them, just not as much as SPG), and others.

I am NOT currently a frequent flyer (i.e - more than 300k BIS/year). I am not even a busy flyer (i.e. - more than 100k BIS/year). So my current opinion is based on judgment and history, not as many specific interactions. But what I see is the unfortunate decline into "the computer won't let me" that is affecting MANY businesses (travel and otherwise).
There's something to be said for just selecting independent boutique hotels that deliver a really unique experience without a loyalty program. I find myself doing this often in Europe, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on it in Asia or North America.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Just asking, because for 20 years we focused our hotel budget almost exclusively to SPG properties. Reason was, as Lifetime Platinum members, we received world-class service in terms of recognition and benefits. Upgrades, sometimes they were pre-allocated. If not pre-allocated, they were warmly offered at check-in. Now as Titanium for life, it's like, "where's the upgrade?" better rooms available for sale only. In terms of Breakfast, this was a most wonderful benefit at SPG's leading locations. Now, it's like "no breakfast for you, our lounge is closed and we don't offer breakfast when the lounge is closed", or if there is breakfast, the offering seems to be low quality. With SPG, there was a warm heart, and they cared, and they showed it. Now, with Marriott, there's a big fat finger telling us we just don't care about you. With SPG, you'd actually receive a nice and thoughtful local gift on arrival some times. With Marriott, that nicely wrapped red gift on the bed in the Bonvoy commercial seems to be your virtual welcome gift.

So Arne and friends, guess what, there are tons of options around the world nowadays that don't have the Marriott brand nameplates, that do have a heart and show they care, with warmth and world class hospitality. Bonvoyage.

Just my two cents.
20 years of world class service without a single issue - that's pretty amazing. Guess your luck has just run out.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
There's something to be said for just selecting independent boutique hotels that deliver a really unique experience without a loyalty program. I find myself doing this often in Europe, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on it in Asia or North America.
Agree 100%.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
There's also something to be said for just selecting the hotel that seems the nicest without regard for loyalty programs.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:57 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by JBord
I still don't get this comparison that people keep making. With UA/CO, not only was IT screwed up and the program devalued, but the experience of actually flying with them was horrible. My experience at Marriott's is as consistent as it's ever been (including legacy SPG hotels).

I often wonder why people are calling so often. Most of what I need to do is on the app or website. As a LT Platinum (current Titanium) I need to talk to a phone rep maybe twice a year. Last time, I was in IAH and found that my connecting flight home was cancelled and I needed a hotel quickly. I had a free night cert. So I called while I was walking through the airport, and the rep was very helpful in giving me the hotel choices and booking it for me. Incredibly polite the whole time. I could have stopped and figured it out myself, but he saved me 10-15 minutes, which seems like hours when you've been traveling all day and then just want to get some sleep before your 7 am flight the next day. So when people call so often that the service becomes an issue, is it that rather than asking for help they're asking for special treatment of something they're not entitled to?

No, of course not. It just doesn't fit the story. Breakfast in restaurant > breakfast in lounge.

That's a loaded question. Legacy Marriott customers want to be treated as they always have. Legacy SPG customers do as well, but that program doesn't exist any more. Most of the complaints you see here are TRULY directed at the corporate rewards program, not the hotels.

When there's a merger like this, there's always an effect on employees. Some benefit greatly and they tend to be happy. Some don't, or they just don't like change. All of that can translate to how a customer is treated. It's usually temporary as the employees who aren't happy leave and are replaced by new hires still in the "honeymoon period" with their new employer.

But in the end the simple answer is treat your customers as if they might have a better choice of hotels just down the street (because they usually do). And when your hotel gets their money, it flows to employees through salary, wages, tips, etc.

Unfortunately, that won't reduce the amount of noise or complaining in this forum, because it won't bring back SPG.
Thank you! I agree that nothing will bring back the legacy programs, but I also want to remind my coworkers that it's the little things that count. Those special touches, per se.

And while the complaints may be directed at the program itself, the hotel staff should know that there are gripes about the program and be prepared for those who are not pleased with the changes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:00 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by rny321
If a hotel provided the published elite benefits to guests without being asked, it would eliminate a lot of complaints. When upgrades aren't available, being proactive with an honest explanation would improve guest relations. Beyond those simple suggestions, treating guests as you would like to be treated at a similar category of hotel would help. When the inevitable service failures happen, offering a solution without prompting can make a potential bad experience a positive one.
Thank you! I try to drive the point home of knowing the published elite benefits, but sometimes, the point falls on deaf ears. Like I told JBord, it's those little things that count and that can make all the difference.
rny321 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.