Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Gadot
Old Marriotts don't like the program as the SPG reps now do the reservation line and they are rude and don't care if you are a marriott elite
How in the world did they find enough SPG CSRs to service a company that was 5X the size of Starwood? And where did all those former Marriott CSRs go? Did they all get laid off?

This entire thread and especially the title is absurd. As much as I don't like Marriott (mostly due to their CS and IT incompetence), I would never describe them as anti-guest.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:38 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by margarita girl
How in the world did they find enough SPG CSRs to service a company that was 5X the size of Starwood? And where did all those former Marriott CSRs go? Did they all get laid off?

This post by Loyalty Lobby may have some answers as to what has gone so wrong at Marriott https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/03/14/...9/?omhide=true
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by soy
This post by Loyalty Lobby may have some answers as to what has gone so wrong at Marriott https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/03/14/...9/?omhide=true
I've seen the post. It doesn't explain where all those SPG agents came from that Gadot alludes to. Marriott is several orders of magnitude larger than Starwood was. Plus they would have had to cull the herd to find only the rude ones.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Marriotts relationship with its membership has always been more transactional “you give us your biz stays, we give you points”. It mostly upgrades but rarely to Suites (I run about 10% suite upgrades) although that’s partly an outcome of Marriott building fewer suites into its hotels. Elite lounges and free breakfast used to be weekdays only but now free lounge/restaurant breakfast is 7 days a week but it remains, as it always has with Marriott, a rules based transactional program. It’s not as bare-bones as IHG but neither is it as fullsome as SPG was, and Hyatt is.
Anti guest? Not really, but if you come from the SPG side of the merger I imagine you’re finding the changes to Marriotts transactional arrangement pretty jarring.
i think suite upg depends on when you book and for how long. i have had great success so far upgrading into suites at jw in mia and aus, but they were both two day stays. i have been staying at the W in Hoboken for a few months, four days at a time, and have only gotten a suite upg once. The other two times I got the suite were for, you guessed it, two day stays.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As I've noted earlier, there were tons of complaints about customer service, consistency, upgrades on the SPG board before the merger.

That being said, I don't think customer service issues have anything to do with rude former Starwood reps.

Its a learning curve issue compounded by poor planning to set up additional call center capacity and lack of training at the hotel level.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:55 am
soy

Programs: various
I've seen the post. It doesn't explain where all those SPG agents came from that Gadot alludes to. Marriott is several orders of magnitude larger than Starwood was. Plus they would have had to cull the herd to find only the rude ones.
I agree, I guess this was more a general comment on the lack of support that Marriott has provided their own existing agents.
The call center has gone downhill fast in the last 12 months, but I think that is more to do with the systems and policies Marriott have implemented than anything else. Arne & Co. are getting further and further detached from whats happening on the ground and that is never a good path for a business to take

I was plat with both pre-merger and found both solid, unfortunately the merger outcome has fallen short of the sum of the individual parts
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Am I the only person that's offered breakfast in the hotel restaurant on the weekend when the lounge is closed?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Am I the only person that's offered breakfast in the hotel restaurant on the weekend when the lounge is closed?
i sure hope not.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Happens all the time. We have a whole wiki on this issue.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I see people occasionally complaining about the picture of the two old guys on the wall ...
Do you mean these two?
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
It was my understanding that Marriott (pre-merger) also had a larger CS phone team as they were not as automated as Starwood was. I was also told that Marriott/Marriott Rewards members tended to skew a little older and naturally preferred phone calls when needing customer service.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Am I the only person wondering why this thread has yet to be merged into the master Marriott sucks thread?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It was my understanding that Marriott (pre-merger) also had a larger CS phone team as they were not as automated as Starwood was. I was also told that Marriott/Marriott Rewards members tended to skew a little older and naturally preferred phone calls when needing customer service.
Shrug. I called MAR when I was young and a bit older. Truthfully I didn't need to contact MAR CS much over the years, but if I did a quick phone call took care of whatever I needed fixed. When I did call, the agent picked up promptly, was pleasant/helpful, & I was able to fix whatever I was calling about quickly.

Since 8/18, phone call hold times are absymal & I may or may not get an agent that knows what they're doing (which may be to SPG/MAR agents learning the ropes on the others). I feel sorry for the agents (on both sides), as due to MAR IT etc, they're being drowned w/ calls, emails, faxes, etc, and yes I blame MAR corp more than the agents or franchisees.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by soy
I was plat with both pre-merger and found both solid, unfortunately the merger outcome has fallen short of the sum of the individual parts
Same here.

There were always lazy or clueless agents on both side pre-merger, but I knew that I could call back and get someone competent to fix things.

For some posters to claim that rude former Starwood reps are the issue here is simply false, and I have noted that many are not even members with status.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

I’ve been top tier on both SPG and Marriott. Grass was greener due to differing manure. Both programs had good and bad points. OPs rant sounds like a DYKWIA whine. Perhaps reaping what they sow?
iflyjetz and DJ_Iceman like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.