FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1960750-has-marriott-always-been-virulently-anti-guest.html)

EuropeanPete Mar 14, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30886272)
Absolutely. There are dozens of threads with hundreds of posts in the old SPG forum about how people had to beg and threaten for upgrades, yet the OP claims that upgrades were always cheerfully offered.

Both these things can be true: flouting of the SPG rules was uncommon and generally a big issue. I will generally no longer post most Marriott issues, like points for my last 3 stays being wrong, for example.

The bottom line is that people are blinded by nostalgia and fearful of change. And those people will forever be unhappy no matter what happens.
Well sure, if they're not happy with the mess of the last 6 months then clearly nothing will make people happy!

transportbiz Mar 14, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Mustang Sally (Post 30885965)
You're right, perhaps 'virulently anti-guest' is indeed a bit strong. What about...

Not exactly customer centric
Pathetically inept
Clueless
Confusing
Overly complex
Inconsistent
Incongruous with a positive experience
Lacking customer focus
Unable to fulfill basic expectations
Total shambles
IT disaster
Communications joke
Asleep at the proverbial switch

Feel free to add your own perspective on this, but Marriott has done little else but screw up. (And no, breakfast is not included).

I would add hostile.

bennyg2 Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am

Sounds like Bonvoy has opened the Air Canada playbook circa 1995. Hopefully they get it together and this is just the pain of merging two systems.

tfong007 Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by bennyg2 (Post 30886631)
Sounds like Bonvoy has opened the Air Canada playbook circa 1995. Hopefully they get it together and this is just the pain of merging two systems.

Only good thing at the time was paying executive class and flying in a legacy Canadian craft in an actual first class seat. Oh those were the days.

bennyg2 Mar 14, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by tfong007 (Post 30886654)
Only good thing at the time was paying executive class and flying in a legacy Canadian craft in an actual first class seat. Oh those were the days.

I never had the opportunity. The closest I got to flying Canadian was seeing the galley carts still stamped with the Goose on Air Canada flights.

They figured themselves out, hopefully Bonvoy will as well. I don't think they are "anti-guest", it's just a transition and for the record, I ran into plenty of salty SPG property staff and managers too. The Westin Excelsior Rome comes to mind where I received 50,000 points (3 years ago) as compensation for a room with stains on the sheets and floor AND a manager that told me I could take my American attitude somewhere else (I'm Canadian soooooo that conversation didn't end well as I not so politely told him to eat a moose knuckle).

What I do remember though was how awesome SPG back-office care was. I sent them pictures and a nicely worded email and they took a day to take care of it. Even got a weak apology from the hotel manager.

Anyways, point is be understanding where you can and where you can't, be firm but polite in demanding they step up. Unless they call you an American, in which case, swear at him in French. :D

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2019 9:42 am

Originally Posted by beofotch (Post 30884524)
Remember with Bonvoy the guests are the product.
The actual customers are the hotel property owners

I initially read this as "guests are the problem" rather than "guests are the product."

transportbiz Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30886702)
I initially read this as "guests are the problem" rather than "guests are the product."

It works either way, this whole experience is beginning to smack of the United/Continental merger under Smisek.

iflyjetz Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am

When Bill Marriott was in charge, the emphasis was on the customer. Things started to go downhill in 2009 when Arne was promoted to President and COO. Bill Marriott's team enforced contracts with franchisees with an iron fist, almost always ruling in favor of the customer.

Things are different under Arne's team.

cfabar1 Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am

I have found Marriott to be an absolutely nightmare to deal with compared to my experiences as a Starwood preferred guest. Even at former Starwood properties I stayed at under the previous regime I now find beyond anti-consumer in their practices. I have moved most of my stays to Hilton and Hyatt for differing reasons, and am using up my remaining Starpoints or whatever they are being called this week...

CPRich Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am

Mine was better than yours.

Things aren't as good as they used to be.

I'm going somewhere else.

C17PSGR Mar 14, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz (Post 30886814)
When Bill Marriott was in charge, the emphasis was on the customer. Things started to go downhill in 2009 when Arne was promoted to President and COO. Bill Marriott's team enforced contracts with franchisees with an iron fist, almost always ruling in favor of the customer.

Things are different under Arne's team.

I see people occasionally complaining about the picture of the two old guys on the wall ...

But, having once chatted with Bill in a random concierge lounge, seen him chatting with others, making notes, and having someone give me his "office" phone number in case I ever needed assistance, it was clear the emphasis was on the customer and standards.

Too bad Arne came from the finance side ... and is focused on analytics rather than customers/standards.

RobOnLI Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am

Lounge closed = breakfast in the restaurant or extra points (750 a day). Don't let the OP fool you.

Some of the rest might be spot on.

-RM

C17PSGR Mar 14, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 30886999)
Lounge closed = breakfast in the restaurant or extra points (750 a day).

-RM

Exactly, and there is a limited list of legacy Marriott properties that give points in lieu of breakfast when the lounge is closed on the weekend. Many of us avoid those properties. If OP identifies the property at issue, it would help.

As for legacy SPG properties, breakfast is always offered but can be radically inconsistent, even at the hotel. At one W, its a select list of 2-3 viable options. At another W, its a $25 credit toward anything on the menu. At another W, its three breads (muffin/crescent/pastry), coffee and juice. At one Westin I've stay at, some days, its anything I want on the menu within reason and other days, its a choice of oatmeal or fruit and yoghurt, with juice and coffee.

PointWeasel Mar 14, 2019 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 30884857)
If you swap "SPG" for "Marriott" in the OP's post, I would agree. Marriott always treated me as a valued guest; SPG screwed me every time I made the mistake of staying at one of their properties.

Fake news.

As one with over 1,500 nights, I speak from experience.

transportbiz Mar 14, 2019 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 30884857)
If you swap "SPG" for "Marriott" in the OP's post, I would agree. Marriott always treated me as a valued guest; SPG screwed me every time I made the mistake of staying at one of their properties.

Chances are you only stayed at SPG as a non-elite, or after the merger, when it was no longer SPG in any way shape or form.