Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by moondog
True, but even the original contract spelled out a unilateral changes provision, attorney generals typically ignore such.
They sent a supplement. If you don’t agree, I thought normal course of action is to re-negotiate or cancel?

Ignoring it is not a solution.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by freed0m
They sent a supplement. If you don’t agree, I thought normal course of action is to re-negotiate or cancel?

Ignoring it is not a solution.
Oops my bad. I was under the impression that he wasn't given the option to cancel, but assuming someone from the property or Marriott called him to advise of the supplement, then I can almost sympathise with them on this specific point. If they want destroy broad consumer confidence by permitting stuborn properties to undermine their marketing efforts, that's their own business decision.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Oops my bad. I was under the impression that he wasn't given the option to cancel, but assuming someone from the property or Marriott called him to advise of the supplement, then I can almost sympathise with them on this specific point. If they want destroy broad consumer confidence by permitting stuborn properties to undermine their marketing efforts, that's their own business decision.
Many people received email about cancellation charge and fight the charges by pretending they did not know it.

not sure about OP.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

Many people received email about cancellation charge and fight the charges by pretending they did not know it.

not sure about OP.
Even granting the argument that OP should have been aware that a "cancellation" of a points reservation within 60 days of arrival would result in massive cash charges, where in the follow-up e-mail (what you call a "contract supplement") are the terms with respect delayed arrivals being treated as a "no-show" / "cancellation" stated? Isn't that the situation here? OP was delayed arriving at the hotel by a day because of an unforeseen flight delay; despite calling the hotel and informing the hotel of such delay, OP was charged as if OP was a "no-show." I have not seen written terms anywhere that spell out this practice and that would suggest what the hotel did in this situation was a mutually agreed upon contract.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
They sent a supplement.
Interesting euphemism.

If you don’t agree, I thought normal course of action is to re-negotiate or cancel?
So merely by sending a "supplement" one party can unilaterally force the other party to accept the amended terms if they don't renegotiate or cancel the contract? #TIL

Even if the original contract says "we reserve the right to amend this at any time" I am skeptical that is literally true without any qualification. I doubt for example the property could send a "supplement" saying "by the way we decided to double your room rate" and have that hold up in court.
AbyssalLoris and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
What a lot of people want does not make business sense.

point redemption is not of high-value for this property. The property gets little from Corporate Marriott for point redemption. And the customer does not spend enough on extra.

As the property owner, you certainly don't welcome this kind of customer back. Why would you, as an owner, not charge as much as possible as stipulated in the contract?

If you as an owner, choose to act against your own interest, tell me your business. I would like do a lot of business with you.
This is not a good argument, as loyalty programs work both ways. Being part of a loyalty program drives business to the property just by being part of the brand name. In return, the property is obligated to uphold the brand standards. The property can't just decide to be part of the loyalty program only when it is convenient and only to its financial benefit. That's not how it works.

Contract supplements? If there is more or changes made by the property, it is expected that the property will write to the customer, right? And the hotel just did that.
Contract supplements/addendums still have to be approved by both parties, otherwise no contract would ever be enforceable. No idea why you are so insistent on defending the property's despicable practices here in the first place, but you should certainly not play lawyer.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gadot
It is and has been on the Marriott site for years. I don't know what they told SPG - but due diligence would suggest that the one should look up the new rules when you are bought out. Just thinking
What a lot of people want does not make business sense.

point redemption is not of high-value for this property. The property gets little from Corporate Marriott for point redemption. And the customer does not spend enough on extra.

As the property owner, you certainly don't welcome this kind of customer back. Why would you, as an owner, not charge as much as possible as stipulated in the contract?

If you as an owner, choose to act against your own interest, tell me your business. I would like do a lot of business with you.
What both of you have not addressed is the OP in this case made the booking with points pre merger. It is an SPG contract not a Marriott contract so all these discussions should address the fact that post merger you cannot unilaterally change the terms no matter how many years Marriott has operated differently from SPG.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by geminidreams
What both of you have not addressed is the OP in this case made the booking with points pre merger. It is an SPG contract not a Marriott contract so all these discussions should address the fact that post merger you cannot unilaterally change the terms no matter how many years Marriott has operated differently from SPG.
Not to mention the fact that the St. Regis Aspen is a pre-merger SPG property.

Regardless, would someone please point me to Marriott's policy that arriving late is considered a no-show and, when on a points reservation, incurs a 1-night cash charge (or some other cash charge) with a corresponding refund of points? Thanks.

The following is the closest thing I could find, which does not anywhere say that arriving a day late is considered a no-show:
3.2.c. The standard guarantee and cancellation policies of a Participating Property will apply to Award Redemption Stay reservations including, without limitation, all minimum length of stay requirements, credit card guarantee requirements and charges for late cancellation, no-shows, and early check-out.

i. A Point refund may be issued for a stay that is less than the number of days on the Redemption Award, but the Member must inform the Participating Property’s front desk in advance of the early check-out time in order for the Point refund to be issued to the Member’s Account.

ii. If a Member fails to cancel a guaranteed Award Redemption Stay reservation within the permitted cancellation period, the Participating Property will charge the applicable cancellation fee to the credit card provided by the Member at the time the reservation was made and the Points that were redeemed will be re-deposited into the Member’s Account.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#redeem

Last edited by flyingeph12; Mar 20, 2019 at 1:11 am Reason: Added Quote from Marriott's T&Cs
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by gengar
This is not a good argument, as loyalty programs work both ways. Being part of a loyalty program drives business to the property just by being part of the brand name. In return, the property is obligated to uphold the brand standards. The property can't just decide to be part of the loyalty program only when it is convenient and only to its financial benefit. That's not how it works..
Why don't you tell RC Singapore that? See what they say to you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:49 am

I would like a copy of contract showing that the reservation can be no way modified no matter what happened.

I have not seen a contract not subject to changes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Why don't you tell RC Singapore that? See what they say to you.
The topic property is already obviously a problem property. The existence of problem properties doesn't justify your argument and certainly doesn't rebut mine.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I would like a copy of contract showing that the reservation can be no way modified no matter what happened.

I have not seen a contract not subject to changes.
Seriously? Changes can only be made by agreement of both parties otherwise the change cannot be enforced. A takeover by Marriott does not change reservation terms for agreements made by SPG.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by gengar
The topic property is already obviously a problem property. The existence of problem properties doesn't justify your argument and certainly doesn't rebut mine.
It is all about leverage.

You have the leverage, you can decide which part of the loyalty program you are in.

e.g. Some properties provide breakfast as loyalty benefit, some don't.

e.g. Some properties allow point redemption, some don't.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:13 am

Seriously? Changes can only be made by agreement of both parties otherwise the change cannot be enforced. A takeover by Marriott does not change reservation terms for agreements made by SPG.
A takeover does not.

But what if Marriott writes to communicate the change in contract term? Ignore at your own peril.

If Marriott does not communicate changes, that's Marriott's problem.

If you choose to ignore the communication, you know what is going to happen.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:27 am

So has anything actually happened with the OP’s situation? I can’t find any actual facts, if they might exist, amongst the noise of the armchair lawyers and internet regulatory experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.