Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Antarius
except I have to click into it to see this. When I go to the list of hotels, this shows up at 100 while another may show up as 110 - this hotel is more expensive, but it takes a whole lot of clicks to find out.

I dont have a problem with unbundled fares for OPTIONAL things like checked bags or breakfast. These hidden fees are mandatory and designed to make comparative searching harder.

if it's so clear, why not eliminate the fee and just list your hotel at 137.50? Because it isn't clear and you know that.
Exactly - why can't they show what I'm going to be out of my pocket instead of room rate + tax+ charges of all kinds.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nacho
Exactly - why can't they show what I'm going to be out of my pocket instead of room rate + tax+ charges of all kinds.
same reason the StR wont display their ludicrous policies up front. Because it would cost them business.

also the US culturally has an issue with tax included pricing. When I buy a croissant in Europe, the price shown is inclusive of VAT.

to the handful of defenders who seem to be hotel owners or managers, where do you own/work? I ask because I feel people here hide behind aliases and wont tell you to your face. If they really believe this is the right way, stand behind it and tell us where. Because I'd share my opinion exactly the same as I do here, doesnt matter whether you're a hotel FD person, a manager, an owner, an owner of a management company or Arne himself.

if your ad says the golden rule, then damn well live by it. Stand up tall and proud and treat others the way you would want to be treated. And if that's with hidden fees and sly cancellation policies, pray tell where we can find them.

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 16, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by zachary
I have a points reservation for next February at the St. Regis Deer Valley and just received this email. Note that this condition was not disclosed when the room was booked. Of course, I cannot say how this property would invoke this provision under the OP's circumstances.
If it wasnt in rate rules at booking, they cant do it. My response would be, i am sorry, but this isnt stipulated in the rate rules, and you do not get to unilaterally change the terms of my reservation after it has already been booked.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by LPCJr

If it wasnt in rate rules at booking, they cant do it. My response would be, i am sorry, but this isnt stipulated in the rate rules, and you do not get to unilaterally change the terms of my reservation after it has already been booked.
"they cant do it" You know when American bought US Air, my upgrade status changed to having to have a coupon instead going on the list. I have no idea but as all products change to the the "buyers" rules, I would assume the law protects the buyer.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikebor
Dude go away. Seriously.
Dude, you all are missing the point. Charging $ for the room for a no-show and returning the points is policy. But if he did show up before noon, he was not a no show and the hotel owes him money and an apology (and he owes them points)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jn in ca

Y'all have made some good points (and a few stupid ones) on both sides, but this part is the thing that absolutely infuriates me about this property, and franchisees like it. Dear owner, if you think it is too much of a burden to provide St Regis benefits, then take down the flag and go it alone, but if you want to land all those rich St Regis whales, then you pay for the privilege.

In my hometown our Sheraton got bought out and the new owner pulled out of Sheraton and became an independent. He didn't whine about the burden of providing Sheraton benefits, he told the local newspaper that he simply thought he could drum up more business by spending that money on an in house sales dept. than sending the money to SPG.

Personally, I haven't heard gripes from the domestic owners, but no doubt a lot of the former Starwood overseas properties are screaming their collective head off about forcing the SPG hoi polloi to rub elbows with the Marriott commoners.
And what about the "ladies and gentlemen" of the Ritz who are now forced to rub elbows with the SPG bourgeoisie
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sean1397
I
A hotel can charge whatever it wants for cancellations but needs to show this amount in advance and then I just won't stay there.
Marriott charges your credit card the rate at the time of booking with points and states that it will be refunded if you show up. Not much clearer than that
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cletraveler
he points refund would be zero b/c you still need to pay for 4 nights with points. My case is a little weird in this regard b/c I did receive 20,000 points back per room as previously mentioned (though no one in their right mind would value 20K points from Marriott as being worth $1,113).
No you paid for the first night with $ and the next 3 nights with points so you should have gotten your points back
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gadot
Marriott charges your credit card the rate at the time of booking with points and states that it will be refunded if you show up. Not much clearer than that
At the St Regis in Aspen?
No it does not
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete - never mind
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Understanding the business model of the St. Regis Aspen might be helpful to understanding the ridiculous and shortsighted approach.

Basically, its controlled by a single individual, Stephane De Baets, through a private equity fund, Elevated Returns. Elevated Returns tried to sell it as a single property publicly traded REIT, the first of it's kind. That didn't work and they pulled the public offering. Then in October 2018, De Baets started selling "blockchain" units of the property.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephane_De_Baets

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/08/aspen-st-regis-blockchain/

Obviously, this isnt a normal structure for property ownership and doesnt show any long term commitment. The property wasnt sufficiently interesting for the single property REIT ...or enough to get purchased by another REIT ... so there must be pressure to pump short term EBITDA.

Now ...Probably worth updating his wiki page to highlight the controversy here. Or contacting him.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Antarius
except I have to click into it to see this. When I go to the list of hotels, this shows up at 100 while another may show up as 110 - this hotel is more expensive, but it takes a whole lot of clicks to find out.

I dont have a problem with unbundled fares for OPTIONAL things like checked bags or breakfast. These hidden fees are mandatory and designed to make comparative searching harder.

if it's so clear, why not eliminate the fee and just list your hotel at 137.50? Because it isn't clear and you know that.
Your last sentence here is key. HotelBoy, like all operators, cynically claims it's clear as day but ignores the obvious onus it adds to the customer search and fails to provide any reason why it isn't included in the base rate. at 37% of the base rate and 27% of the pretax total, that is a pretty awful one too.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gadot
Thank you for posting this. The fact that you think that this is how it works explains why none of your other posts on this subject make any sense.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:04 pm

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...is-blockchain/
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Sleazy. I can't define it but when I see it I know what it is.

Resort fees? Sleazy.

Calling a customer who shows up late a no show? Sleazy.

Hotel managers who defend the indefensible? Sleazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.