Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't Colorado Springs not much more than about an hour away, providing that one is willing to drive on mountain roads?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I am sorry this happened to you. I am now checking all my Bonvoy point redemptions. And thanks for the warning.

The one's in the US carry the same language. Albeit my stays are at much more modest properties and with much better cancellation date policies.

I did cancel an award reservation at the Fairfield Suites in Carlsbad NM (believe it or not, a $400 a night property) last week and I had my points fully returned. I cancelled it on Saturday and the verbiage indicated I should have cancelled by Friday. But the points did show up and (I just checked again) I was not charged on my credit card.

So, I think I got lucky.

My upcoming award redemptions in Germany do not seem to carry the same cancellation policies.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't Colorado Springs not much more than about an hour away, providing that one is willing to drive on mountain roads?
Not even close - it would be 4.5-5 hrs each way this time of year (all major mountain passes such as Independence closed for the winter). And even in the summer when the passes are open it's quite a bit more than an hour's drive - still probably 4ish (although the passes cut off much in the way of distance, it's slow going).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gadot
You should not receive your money back for their charging you for a no-show. The policy clearly states that you will be charged and the points refunded. In addition when you made the reservation, I believe they noted they were charging you. Sorry Marriott and envoy is different from SPG. But rather than smear them for your error in not reading the fine print (caveat emptor)!! 99% of the complaints on envoy come from SPG members who don't like the change. Live with it or go elsewhere. I am sure Hilton will like your business - at least until you start smearing them.

But the real problem is if you called and said you would be a late check in and thus did show up before noon the following day. Noon is the time the "next day starts". If you did, then the hotel did make a mistake and does owe you.

While some seem to support your wrong belief, all on the Marriot owner's blog do not. Hopefully your future with Marriott will be better.

Why are you posting in bold? Be respectful.

Are you a property owner? If so, I guess I understand why you are stressed out and posting in bold... Elite members like me are fed up with Marriott and we are switching to other chains.

The switch is just starting en masse. You will lose money. So bold away if it makes you feel better.

I am now Globalist and have ordered my employees to switch 100 nights to Hyatt this month. Why?

Because I don't have time to deal with a program - and property owners - that thinks it is ok to charge a no show fee for someone who showed up. This is just illogical.

​​​​​​
AbyssalLoris and tomwhom like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Yes, all the bloggers do.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
I have a points reservation for next February at the St. Regis Deer Valley and just received this email. Note that this condition was not disclosed when the room was booked. Of course, I cannot say how this property would invoke this provision under the OP's circumstances.
The fact that it was not disclosed is a bit egregious.

I get all the caveat emptor/read the T&C before hand talk....BUT it should be clearly disclosed at the time of the booking BEFORE the customer click the book now button.

60 days?! Wow.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel manager all of this is 100% kosher. I understand that the OP is upset but it is all within the T&C. It also follows the cancellation policy. I have worked in many a resort (beach and ski) that have had greater than normal cancellation periods. It is very difficult for these hotels to resell rooms at the last minute. A city property is much different. All in all this is why travel insurance was created. No need to cry over spilled milk.
Even without getting into the details of the T&C, it's easy to see how I think some slack can be cut here.

I assume that the spirit of cancellation charges is to deter people from willy nilly cancelling bookings for rooms that would otherwise be difficult to sell for a property on a short time frame. Very understandable especially for top luxury properties like St Regis.

But in this case the letter of the law doesn't apply to the spirit of the situation: the customer had an extenuating circumstance completely outside of his control AND he made the effort to notify the hotel soon as he knew of this change. To me, he did everything in his power to manage his difficulty.

If someone was a no show or a simple "cancel" with no other explanation? Sure, charge away. But in this case, I'd side with the OP.

To me, running a successful and profitable business is not simply about strictly adhering to the T&C to the letter. By creating an antagonistic relationship with this customer, it potentially sours him/her for future business. And if this person happens to come to a windfall or become a powerful decision maker in a large company that can wield 7 to 8-figure travel spend each year....incidents like these are not going to help.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ginmqi
To me, running a successful and profitable business is not simply about strictly adhering to the T&C to the letter. By creating an antagonistic relationship with this customer, it potentially sours him/her for future business. And if this person happens to come to a windfall or become a powerful decision maker in a large company that can wield 7 to 8-figure travel spend each year....incidents like these are not going to help.
yep. This StR has lost this customer and likely many more as a result of this.

maybe they think they can survive without us and maybe they can. But I do not do business with people who operate in bad faith.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
yep. This StR has lost this customer and likely many more as a result of this.

maybe they think they can survive without us and maybe they can. But I do not do business with people who operate in bad faith.
Agreed. And I just saw that this thread was picked up by a popular travel blogger as well. So the exposure/effect is even more rippling with today's vast and quick media/news dissemination
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have a 7 day cancelation for a 9 night stay at StR Maldives in August. Its a points stay. If we cancel under 7 days (which is generous, I admit)
  • Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals your room charge plus tax for all the nights of your reservation.
However, there is no way to know what that fee is. I am upping our insurance because it could be $9-$10K.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yes, all the bloggers do.

Cheers.
Understood. I just don't remember seeing something so clearly hijacked.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While some seem to support your wrong belief, all on the Marriot owner's blog do not. Hopefully your future with Marriott will be better.
Arne, is that you?

btw, it's "Bonvoy"
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
There is a blog for Marriott owners or this Marriott's owner?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Sorry Marriott and envoy...
What is 'envoy'?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I hope some attorney general or state legislature will pick up on this kind of outrageous behavior by Marriott.

Over 1500 nights with Marriott and I'm fed up with incompetent leadership, sleazy practices (e.g, resort fees and the example on this thread), a web site that often doesn't work, customer service that doesn't respond, etc.

And where is Marriott's PR team in responding to this? Yet more evidence of the incompetent leadership. Marriott desperately needs new leadership and a major change in its organizational culture to focus on customer satisfaction rather than the latest and greatest techniques to gouge customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.