Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton has a new logo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
The new logo I saw on TPG definitely is different than the one shown here.

Notice the emphasis on ERATO
In Greek mythology, Erato (/ˈɛrətoʊ/; Ancient Greek: Ἐρατώ) is one of the Greek Muses. The name would mean "desired" or "lovely", if derived from the same root as Eros, as Apollonius of Rhodes playfully suggested in the invocation to Erato that begins Book III of his Argonautica.

Going classical in interpretation is kind of cool if they follow through.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Think the new logo looks great actually and happy to hear Marriott is giving the brand its full attention.
Agreed. The old logo looked dated from day one, IMO.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I like it! And it's nice to hear there is genuine meaning behind the logo, it's history and evolution.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:11 pm

Okay, I have some questions...
The 10 points of Sheraton 2020 include:
1. Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning
– Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content
Um... does Enhancing the Digital Experience mean we might get a working website?
2. Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign
– Roll out a multichannel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017
Well, it's 2019.. I'm not an SPG loyalist, but I didn't notice any Sheraton buzz in those years. I have a feeling that $100M would have been much better spent making loans or incentives to property owners to improve their properties.

8. Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously.
– Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences
– Invigorate Food & Beverage – more relevant, more profitable
Does this mean more (not-so-)Fresh Bites and soap bottles bolted to the wall like a Motel 6?

9. Differentiate Sheraton through Design
– Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design
– Leverage lobby design to drive revenue
Does it bother anyone else that remodeling the hotels is #9 on the priority list?

10. Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020
How about fixing the 1970s dogs you have in inventory? One of the biggest problems with the Sheraton brand is the inconsistency. Sometimes the only solution for an aging property is the wrecking ball. The Sheraton Sand Key is a classic example of this. Older-than-dirt hotel. They've tried to do a lot with the property, but it's just lots of lipstick on this pig. Total waste of a beautiful piece of land where a modern hotel & conference center could be built. There's even enough land to build a new hotel while keeping the existing one going.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hipquest
The new logo I saw on TPG definitely is different than the one shown here.

The logo I posted is the official logo, as released by Marriott:

https://news.marriott.com/2019/03/sh...ion-milestone/
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Agreed. The old logo looked dated from day one, IMO.
The now-former logo was new in 2015.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
Does it bother anyone else that remodeling the hotels is #9 on the priority list?
To be fair, Sheraton 2020 was developed under legacy Starwood, which no longer exists. Marriott to their credit de-flagged 10,000-plus rooms from the Sheraton brand in 2017 and 2018 because owners of the hotels wouldn't (or couldn't) invest in their dilapidated property.

I'd like to just have decent food-and-beverage at a Sheraton property. I can't remember a single Sheraton that I've ever stayed at with a good restaurant. It doesn't need a Michelin-rated restaurant, either. Just decent, quality food at fair prices.

Look at this picture of a Sheraton property's dining room:

Looks all fancy, except you know they never have that level of service when the buffet is setup in the back.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The new logo looks more modern, but still reminds me of the old one.
Undoubtedly this is exactly what the designer was aiming at. Starriott (and their graphic design company) would be very happy to see this reaction.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I can't remember a single Sheraton that I've ever stayed at with a good restaurant. It doesn't need a Michelin-rated restaurant, either. Just decent, quality food at fair prices.
I don't think of Sheraton as quickly as I do Ws or Luxury Collection when it comes to destination restaurants, but Sheraton does have a few good ones. Maybe others can add theirs, but here are mine:

Sheraton Waikiki: Rumfire makes great cocktails and has some innovative appetizers, and of course one of the worlds best views.
Sheraton San Gabriel Valley, CA: EST Prime Steakhouse is pretty darn good.
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles: District on the mall/lower level is one of my favorite places for appetizers and cocktails in Downtown LA
Sheraton Schiphol Airport: Runway cafe has great beers and decent burgers and stays open late.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane London: The Palm Court has apparently won awards for its tea service, I like the bar and Art Deco atmosphere
Sheraton Swan or Dolphin/Orlando: whichever is the Sheraton has NY's El Mulino which was a darn good business dinner.
Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires: we had a very reasonable and good quality meal here when it was raining hard and my group didn't want to go far.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:47 pm

@hockeyinsider: But you forgot about the other 'restaurants' at the property:

I've eaten at nicer hospital cafeterias than this:

Yes, there's a TV, and there's beer, therefore it's their "Signature sports bar!" But this isn't the warm, cozy type of place I want to have a drink at the end of the night...which is a shame. This used to be a decent bar before the recent redecoration:
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
The Indian at the Heathrow Sheraton is very good
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I don't think of Sheraton as quickly as I do Ws or Luxury Collection when it comes to destination restaurants, but Sheraton does have a few good ones. Maybe others can add theirs, but here are mine:

Sheraton Waikiki: Rumfire makes great cocktails and has some innovative appetizers, and of course one of the worlds best views.
Sheraton San Gabriel Valley, CA: EST Prime Steakhouse is pretty darn good.
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles: District on the mall/lower level is one of my favorite places for appetizers and cocktails in Downtown LA
Sheraton Schiphol Airport: Runway cafe has great beers and decent burgers and stays open late.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane London: The Palm Court has apparently won awards for its tea service, I like the bar and Art Deco atmosphere
Sheraton Swan or Dolphin/Orlando: whichever is the Sheraton has NY's El Mulino which was a darn good business dinner.
Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires: we had a very reasonable and good quality meal here when it was raining hard and my group didn't want to go far.
Several of of the properties you named are only good for appetizers, according to what you said.

Regardless, a half-dozen or even a dozen decent restaurants out of the hundreds of hotels is nothing to defend.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Most domestic Sheratons I've stayed at over the years have been in desperate need of updating/major renovations. SPG really let Sheraton owners get away with murder in past years.
Holysmokes yeah I have not stayed in a Sheraton in years due to how bad it is. Honestly even a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn was better.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Several of of the properties you named are only good for appetizers, according to what you said.
Regardless, a half-dozen or even a dozen decent restaurants out of the hundreds of hotels is nothing to defend.
I've stayed at countless Sheratons and I haven't noticed that their restaurants are any worse than other similar brands' restaurants.

As far as itsaboutthejourney's list, I used to fly with a Captain to HNL a lot that LOVED the Rumfire and agree with his assessment that the view and appetizers there were fantastic. I'm not sure if I ever ate a meal there, as the appetizers and beers were so good while watching the sun set.

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Holysmokes yeah I have not stayed in a Sheraton in years due to how bad it is. Honestly even a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn was better.

While a lot of the Sheratons I've stayed at in the past have been dated, I'll take them over a Fairfield Inn (not a fan of that brand) or Residence Inn (I used to like RIs but the last several I've stayed at have gone cheap on food/drink).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Nice logo, but I'll always think of this as a downmarket brand. Hotels that couldn't make the cut as Marriotts, Westins, or Renaissances. Sort of like Doubletree is to Hilton.

I assume its main purpose is to serve as a landing place within the portfolio for subpar properties. Occasionally, I'm in a very good Sheraton and I can't help but think "they should reflag this to something better."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.