Sheraton has a new logo

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Sheraton has a new logo

First, it was Fairfield (without the "Inn") and now it's Sheraton.

Marriott International unveiled a new logo for Sheraton:

Of course, it will probably take years for all of the Sheraton properties to replace signage.

Don't forget Marriott de-flagged about 10,000 rooms from Sheraton in 2017 and 2018. It also recently announced a massive overhaul of the remaining properties. I suppose announcing a new logo is one way to get owners to renovate existing properties.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Think the new logo looks great actually and happy to hear Marriott is giving the brand its full attention.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Most domestic Sheratons I've stayed at over the years have been in desperate need of updating/major renovations. SPG really let Sheraton owners get away with murder in past years.
ExArkie, jaejaez, twa777 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
The simple name "Sheraton" has a more than 80 year old history in the worldwide hotel business, and it would be really, REALLY stupid of Marriott to re-name it, or get rid of the brand altogether.

Glad to see Marriott finally doing something smart for a change.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The new logo looks more modern, but still reminds me of the old one.
Antarius and Sam P. Goodman like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Most domestic Sheratons I've stayed at over the years have been in desperate need of updating/major renovations. SPG really let Sheraton owners get away with murder in past years.
The same can be said for Marriott's flagship Marriott brand. Even 6 years into renovations there are many properties that outside of new TVs haven't been renovated since 2002–2006.

Also, many of the Sheratons, like the Marriott properties, are older and there's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The new logo looks more modern, but still reminds me of the old one.
agree. IMO, a successful change as a result.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looks fine to me - a bit easier to read but still recognizable.

Considering how much people usually hate change, the early response here is a positive for Marriott.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

I'm not sure a new logo was needed, but at least it looks good and tasteful. Although it should say Established 1974, as most of the Sheraton properties are from that era and feel like they've not been renovated since. I wish they'd renovate the properties before bothering to renovate the logo.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Sheraton definitely needed a new logo, and I quite like this one. Its modern, but I sense a bit of a vintage theme - maybe that could be a new design for the brand as it doesnt seem successful at moving from the 1980s to the 2010s.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Nice improvement/modernization. Now I need my ambassador to send me an updated bathrobe!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
Although it should say Established 1974, as most of the Sheraton properties are from that era and feel like they've not been renovated since.
Well, "Est. 1974" doesn't exactly exude the same faux authenticity and heritage as "Est. 1937." Ask any overpaid branding consultant and they'll tell you the much-sought after millennials crave heritage, authenticity and vintage.

Originally Posted by KRSW
I wish they'd renovate the properties before bothering to renovate the logo.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes properties to install new signage. It's been 5-plus years but the old Marriott logo can still be found, both on signage and collateral, at some properties that haven't been renovated.

I forgot that Sheraton's now-former logo was released in 2015. So, that's two logos in 4 years. And I quote:

“Our goal for the new Sheraton visual identity was to reinforce the brand’s position as a leader and trusted voice in global travel,” added Mike Tiedy, senior vice president of global brand design and innovation at Starwood Hotels & Resorts. “The new aesthetic for Sheraton is more modern, approachable and engaging, designed to appeal to savvy guests and consumers around the world.”
And let's not forget about legacy Starwood's Sheraton 2020 plan, some of which has been retained by Marriott:

The 10 points of Sheraton 2020 include:

1. Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning

– Reinvigorate Sheraton with a new vision to define and crystallize what Sheraton stands for as a brand
– Create a new visual identity for Sheraton that incorporates our current, iconic logo
– Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content

2. Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign

– Roll out a multichannel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017
– Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history
– Ramp up media buzz and social strategy to meaningfully engage consumers across all channels

3. Launch Sheraton Grand

– Elevate 100+ premier Sheraton hotels to new Sheraton Grand tier to better match guests’ expectations, showcase Sheraton's best properties and create a halo effect across the portfolio
– Focus first on global gateways to lure high-value travelers and create a worldwide network
– Encourage more owners to renovate properties to achieve new Sheraton Grand stature

4. Earn Owners’ Confidence in Sheraton

– Laser-focus on revenue and profit-driving initiatives and programs to boost owner value
– Balance building and conversion costs with exceptional guest experience
– Reevaluate brand standards and fee structures to improve owner economics

5. Ignite Associates’ Passion for Sheraton

– Enlist Sheraton General Managers as leaders of change on the frontlines
– Connect Sheraton’s people to new brand vision and their role in bringing it to life

6. Get Service Right at Sheraton. Every Day. Every Time. Everywhere.

– Maniacal – and consistent – focus on excellence in service delivery, including cleanliness, condition of rooms and responsiveness to guests
– Inspire and incent our hotels to reach new Guest Experience and Quality Assurance goals
– Tackle lowest-performing hotels, move the middle, and learn from the top

7. Reclaim Sheraton’s Status as THE Meetings Brand

– Become go-to brand for top planners and customers – take back group share
– Kick off global customer blitz; amp up booking rewards and incentives

8. Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously.

– Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences
– Invigorate Food & Beverage – more relevant, more profitable
– Unleash the potential of Sheraton Club

9. Differentiate Sheraton through Design

– Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design
– Leverage lobby design to drive revenue

10. Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020

– Through conversions, adaptive re-use and new-build projects, develop the right properties in the right markets with favorable returns for owners and their investors
– Create a flexible new-build product that enhances hotel profitability in secondary and tertiary markets
I'm also not sure how Marriott can say Sheraton is a "classic premium" brand or whatever it calls Sheraton considering the position it wants to take the brand:

This is literally the same line of crap that resulted in Marriott temporarily taking desks out of renovated and new-building property, thanks to the-idiots-who-design-hotel-rooms:

The new Sheraton is reminiscent of an understated EDITION with a touch of Ace: sleek, modern, and design-forward, with a mix of mid-century modern and minimalist decor. Rooms won’t feel like traditional hotel rooms at all, but breezy, light-filled condos with lots of natural wood and stone finishes, designed to make guests feel like they’re at home (that is, if your home had been styled by a Scandinavian interior designer and then meticulously Kondo'd out). In a genius move, its lobby and public spaces will blend together seamlessly in an open, sprawling, one-stop-shop layout, which seems less like a lobby and more like a modern-day town square.
I'm sure this will get awards from branding and design contests, but I'd love to see how this will work in practice at the dumpy old airport and corporate office park Sheraton properties or even the Sheraton beach resorts, where, umm, "natural wood and stone finishes" inspired by Scandinavia are out of place.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 11, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
It's perhaps the least awful thing Marriott has done since it bought SPG.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
It's perhaps the least awful thing Marriott has done since it bought SPG.
Agreed. And good news that the Sheraton properties are going to see some kind of a refresh. Some of the older ones are very very tired looking and the brand lacks consistency as a result.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The Sheraton I stay at the most has already begun moving forward, enhancing away in-room microwaves!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.