Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Compensation not honoured by Marriott

Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I called on March 6 morning CET to try to attach a TP cert into a hotel reservation made before the hotel moved up in one category. The agent reassured me that she will attach the cert and said they have been going that in the past years and they should be able to do it.

Nothing happened and I called again. Got an agent based in Mexico City and she forwarded it to her supervisor. She said the system won't allow to do it and she offered me 30k points as compensation (as a 50% discount to upgrade my cert) and I said I'd rather have the cert attached. She opened a case and I asked her to put down the 30k offer if the cert couldn't be attached. She promised me she did. Nothing happened so I called again and the second agent saw the 30k in the case, and she told me to wait.

Now a week later I got an email stating that they will be offering me 10k points and I wrote back and told her that I was promised 30k . Now they wrote back again saying that they can understand my frustration and 10k is what they offer now.

I'm really disappointed by Marriott - basically they are letting phone agent to tell their customers whatever they want to hear and deny bluntly afterwards.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did you mean to say you called before March 5th, as that's when the category increased. If you did, tell them to deposit the different in category as has been done in the past (and currently) & attach the cert. Tell them that's all you'll accept. Get the Lurkers involved if you need to do so. Others have had it done correctly. You just need to find the agent/supervisor that knows how to do it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did you mean to say you called before March 5th, as that's when the category increased. If you did, tell them to deposit the different in category as has been done in the past (and currently) & attach the cert. Tell them that's all you'll accept. Get the Lurkers involved if you need to do so. Others have had it done correctly. You just need to find the agent/supervisor that knows how to do it.

Cheers.
I called on March 6 morning CET, so I have no idea if it's PST or EST that Marriott IT system was based in. The first agent said she couldn't do it because the IT system was updating but she was 100% confident that she could do it. She told me all they need to do is to override it. I asked her 3 times and she was 100% positive about it.

DP: I had the cert since August 2018 and booked the hotel before March 5

Then I called later on March 6, I got to an agent in Mexico City and when I told her what happened earlier in the day she said she couldn't do it. After a while she transferred me to her supervisor, the supervisor told me that she has no authority to override anything. Then she offered me 30k points (because it will cost me 60k to upgrade the cert and then attach to the reservation), told her to write that down bla bla bla

Lurkers are involved but 0 help. Don't exactly feel positive about Marriott after a BRG agent telling me "why you people have to call" and hung up on me before I even had a chance to thank him.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:32 pm

Without turning this into a points advance yay or nay thread, but why (knowing Marriott IT issues) did you not attach the certificate at the time of reservation?

Having said that, Marriott should honor what the original agent stated and give you the points for your trouble but 10k is good enough if they manage to attach the certificate in the end.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
Without turning this into a points advance yay or nay thread, but why (knowing Marriott IT issues) did you not attach the certificate at the time of reservation?
I can't speak to the OP, but I can say that I will normally NOT attach a cert to a reservation when I make it. I much prefer to use the Points Advance feature because if I have to make a change, I don't have to worry if Marriott will return my points or lose them. When the date gets closer I will order the award and get a cert attached to the reservation.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Having said that, Marriott should honor what the original agent stated and give you the points for your trouble but 10k is good enough if they manage to attach the certificate in the end.
I forgot about it completely - my bad.

Nope Marriott will NOT attach the cert unless I pay 60k to upgrade it, and 10k for the "frustration".
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I can't speak to the OP, but I can say that I will normally NOT attach a cert to a reservation when I make it. I much prefer to use the Points Advance feature because if I have to make a change, I don't have to worry if Marriott will return my points or lose them. When the date gets closer I will order the award and get a cert attached to the reservation.
How does one know for sure that an e-certificate is attached to the reservation?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Exactly this is what I'd like to do too but unfortunately it's not the case anymore. I have all the things that required for this reservation before March 5 - the cert and the reservation were in place. Having to wait on the phone for 30 minutes during that period wasn't fun and the worst is that it HAS to be done over the phone.

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
How does one know for sure that an e-certificate is attached to the reservation?
In your reservation it will say "e-certificate has been sent to the hotel".
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Is the issue here that your hotel has moved up a category on March 5th and it hasnt been honoured at the original category when it was booked?

they shouldnt be asking you to upgrade your cert but rather correcting your pre March 5th booking back down to its original category and attaching the existing cert ?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Is the issue here that your hotel has moved up a category on March 5th and it hasnt been honoured at the original category when it was booked?

they shouldnt be asking you to upgrade your cert but rather correcting your pre March 5th booking back down to its original category and attaching the existing cert ?
Correct. Marriott refused to honour that and threw me 10k points to try to shut my mouth up.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Correct. Marriott refused to honour that and threw me 10k points to try to shut my mouth up.
marriott should be able to award you the difference in points on the residual value of the old cert and the upgraded certificate residual (as they clearly can do the swaps) and call it a day. (Although they will be out at least 45k but since they have been awarding upwards of 125k in the points advance thread, 45k should be nothing)
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

marriott should be able to award you the difference in points on the residual value of the old cert and the upgraded certificate residual (as they clearly can do the swaps) and call it a day. (Although they will be out at least 45k but since they have been awarding upwards of 125k in the points advance thread, 45k should be nothing)
If they don't even want to out 30k and call it a day, what's the chance of them offering more than that? Don't understand why converting my cert would be such an ordeal - the supervisor I talked to even lied to me that my cert was awarded on March 6, so I can't just get the cert and then attached. I told her that the cert was obtained pre-merger so I have everything needed for that reservation (not even point advance) but because of their stupid IT system I had to call to just to attach that cert.

All they need to do is to find a dude that knows how to override and attach it. If I was trying to scam them for points I would have taken the 30k offer right away and won't hang up until I see the points in my account. I told them that I would very much want the reservation to be honoured and a cert attached to it.

This is the latest communication:

Thanks again for contacting Marriott Bonvoy Customer Care. Please provide the following information:
  • First & Last Name on the Reservation
  • Hotel Name
  • Confirmation Number
  • Dates of Stay
  • Reason for the complaint
  • Time and Date of the Call
  • Telephone Number you Called From
Not all telephone calls are recorded, but I would be more than happy to attempt to locate the recording of the call. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Why do they need those information again? They know why I complained and my membership information - I'm sure they can see my 7 night reservations.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This reminds me of another FTer fighting for his pre-merger BRG bonus points for a BRG granted pre-merger and the stay was after the merger.

Marriott could just threw him the 1000 points they owed him and call it a day but they chose to fight until the end and after various communication and BBB they still refused. All the communication time cost is way more than 1k points.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:31 pm

Just tried to send you a pm but your mailbox is full. If you read the points advance thread, people are getting a lot more than 30k to make up for the difference although it might just be points reservation instead of certificate reservations. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just tried to send you a pm but your mailbox is full. If you read the points advance thread, people are getting a lot more than 30k to make up for the difference although it might just be points reservation instead of certificate reservations. Hope you get it sorted out.
Cleaned up my inbox.

That's exactly I was told, she said if I have the points she will do it. She said they can't override certs - I'm sure someone in Marriott can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.