Sheraton has a new logo

Reply

Old Mar 11, 19, 7:30 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Posts: 230
The new logo I saw on TPG definitely is different than the one shown here.



Notice the emphasis on ERATO
In Greek mythology, Erato (/ˈɛrətoʊ/; Ancient Greek: Ἐρατώ) is one of the Greek Muses. The name would mean "desired" or "lovely", if derived from the same root as Eros, as Apollonius of Rhodes playfully suggested in the invocation to Erato that begins Book III of his Argonautica.

Going classical in interpretation is kind of cool if they follow through.
hipquest is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:36 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 11,568
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Think the new logo looks great actually and happy to hear Marriott is giving the brand its full attention.
Agreed. The old logo looked dated from day one, IMO.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 8:29 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,292
I like it! And it's nice to hear there is genuine meaning behind the logo, it's history and evolution.
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:11 pm
  #19  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 1,654
Okay, I have some questions...
The 10 points of Sheraton 2020 include:
1. Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning
Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content
Um... does Enhancing the Digital Experience mean we might get a working website?
2. Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign
Roll out a multichannel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017
Well, it's 2019.. I'm not an SPG loyalist, but I didn't notice any Sheraton buzz in those years. I have a feeling that $100M would have been much better spent making loans or incentives to property owners to improve their properties.

8. Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously.
Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences
Invigorate Food & Beverage more relevant, more profitable
Does this mean more (not-so-)Fresh Bites and soap bottles bolted to the wall like a Motel 6?

9. Differentiate Sheraton through Design
Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design
Leverage lobby design to drive revenue
Does it bother anyone else that remodeling the hotels is #9 on the priority list?

10. Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020
How about fixing the 1970s dogs you have in inventory? One of the biggest problems with the Sheraton brand is the inconsistency. Sometimes the only solution for an aging property is the wrecking ball. The Sheraton Sand Key is a classic example of this. Older-than-dirt hotel. They've tried to do a lot with the property, but it's just lots of lipstick on this pig. Total waste of a beautiful piece of land where a modern hotel & conference center could be built. There's even enough land to build a new hotel while keeping the existing one going.
KRSW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:19 pm
  #20  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by hipquest View Post
The new logo I saw on TPG definitely is different than the one shown here.

The logo I posted is the official logo, as released by Marriott:

https://news.marriott.com/2019/03/sh...ion-milestone/
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:19 pm
  #21  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Agreed. The old logo looked dated from day one, IMO.
The now-former logo was new in 2015.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:27 pm
  #22  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
Does it bother anyone else that remodeling the hotels is #9 on the priority list?
To be fair, Sheraton 2020 was developed under legacy Starwood, which no longer exists. Marriott to their credit de-flagged 10,000-plus rooms from the Sheraton brand in 2017 and 2018 because owners of the hotels wouldn't (or couldn't) invest in their dilapidated property.

I'd like to just have decent food-and-beverage at a Sheraton property. I can't remember a single Sheraton that I've ever stayed at with a good restaurant. It doesn't need a Michelin-rated restaurant, either. Just decent, quality food at fair prices.

Look at this picture of a Sheraton property's dining room:



Looks all fancy, except you know they never have that level of service when the buffet is setup in the back.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:56 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA
Posts: 1,073
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The new logo looks more modern, but still reminds me of the old one.
Undoubtedly this is exactly what the designer was aiming at. Starriott (and their graphic design company) would be very happy to see this reaction.
C17PSGR likes this.
hotturnip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 19, 11:21 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,292
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I can't remember a single Sheraton that I've ever stayed at with a good restaurant. It doesn't need a Michelin-rated restaurant, either. Just decent, quality food at fair prices.
I don't think of Sheraton as quickly as I do Ws or Luxury Collection when it comes to destination restaurants, but Sheraton does have a few good ones. Maybe others can add theirs, but here are mine:

Sheraton Waikiki: Rumfire makes great cocktails and has some innovative appetizers, and of course one of the worlds best views.
Sheraton San Gabriel Valley, CA: EST Prime Steakhouse is pretty darn good.
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles: District on the mall/lower level is one of my favorite places for appetizers and cocktails in Downtown LA
Sheraton Schiphol Airport: Runway cafe has great beers and decent burgers and stays open late.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane London: The Palm Court has apparently won awards for its tea service, I like the bar and Art Deco atmosphere
Sheraton Swan or Dolphin/Orlando: whichever is the Sheraton has NY's El Mulino which was a darn good business dinner.
Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires: we had a very reasonable and good quality meal here when it was raining hard and my group didn't want to go far.
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 12:47 pm
  #25  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 1,654
@hockeyinsider: But you forgot about the other 'restaurants' at the property:

I've eaten at nicer hospital cafeterias than this:




Yes, there's a TV, and there's beer, therefore it's their "Signature sports bar!" But this isn't the warm, cozy type of place I want to have a drink at the end of the night...which is a shame. This used to be a decent bar before the recent redecoration:
KRSW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 3:38 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire, Bonvoy/HH/Melia/Club Carlson Gold, Shangri-la Jade
Posts: 124
The Indian at the Heathrow Sheraton is very good
TGLoyalty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:07 pm
  #27  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
I don't think of Sheraton as quickly as I do Ws or Luxury Collection when it comes to destination restaurants, but Sheraton does have a few good ones. Maybe others can add theirs, but here are mine:

Sheraton Waikiki: Rumfire makes great cocktails and has some innovative appetizers, and of course one of the worlds best views.
Sheraton San Gabriel Valley, CA: EST Prime Steakhouse is pretty darn good.
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles: District on the mall/lower level is one of my favorite places for appetizers and cocktails in Downtown LA
Sheraton Schiphol Airport: Runway cafe has great beers and decent burgers and stays open late.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane London: The Palm Court has apparently won awards for its tea service, I like the bar and Art Deco atmosphere
Sheraton Swan or Dolphin/Orlando: whichever is the Sheraton has NY's El Mulino which was a darn good business dinner.
Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires: we had a very reasonable and good quality meal here when it was raining hard and my group didn't want to go far.
Several of of the properties you named are only good for appetizers, according to what you said.

Regardless, a half-dozen or even a dozen decent restaurants out of the hundreds of hotels is nothing to defend.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:34 pm
  #28  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: AMEX Centurion, UA Gold, Stariott Plat., HH Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Most domestic Sheratons I've stayed at over the years have been in desperate need of updating/major renovations. SPG really let Sheraton owners get away with murder in past years.
Holysmokes yeah I have not stayed in a Sheraton in years due to how bad it is. Honestly even a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn was better.
secretalcoholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:54 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 4,960
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Several of of the properties you named are only good for appetizers, according to what you said.
Regardless, a half-dozen or even a dozen decent restaurants out of the hundreds of hotels is nothing to defend.
I've stayed at countless Sheratons and I haven't noticed that their restaurants are any worse than other similar brands' restaurants.

As far as itsaboutthejourney's list, I used to fly with a Captain to HNL a lot that LOVED the Rumfire and agree with his assessment that the view and appetizers there were fantastic. I'm not sure if I ever ate a meal there, as the appetizers and beers were so good while watching the sun set.

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic View Post
Holysmokes yeah I have not stayed in a Sheraton in years due to how bad it is. Honestly even a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn was better.


While a lot of the Sheratons I've stayed at in the past have been dated, I'll take them over a Fairfield Inn (not a fan of that brand) or Residence Inn (I used to like RIs but the last several I've stayed at have gone cheap on food/drink).
iflyjetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 10:18 pm
  #30  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Posts: 45,765
Nice logo, but I'll always think of this as a downmarket brand. Hotels that couldn't make the cut as Marriotts, Westins, or Renaissances. Sort of like Doubletree is to Hilton.

I assume its main purpose is to serve as a landing place within the portfolio for subpar properties. Occasionally, I'm in a very good Sheraton and I can't help but think "they should reflag this to something better."
pinniped is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread