Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about attaining Marriott Platinum Elite

Questions about attaining Marriott Platinum Elite

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
May I ask if you are struggling to make Titanium that much what the point to it is?

If you can be more agnostic and don't need to stay with Marriott, you could get Hilton Diamond Status for $450 with a credit card... To me that seems much more cost effective.

Then again, then you're staying with Hilton....
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
This is my plan too- 15 EQNs from credit card, 10 EQNs from a Rewarding Event, and 25+ nights from cheap staycations/award nights/everything else. CB from Ebates/Jewel negates taxes. Despite the point devaluations, I've had good experiences with being a Titanium in both domestic and international properties.
Titanium = 75 nights.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Search Platinum challenge. You can fast track to platinum by a platinum challenge. There is a thread on this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Titanium = 75 nights.
Yep, that's why I wrote 25+.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:27 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is a somewhat varied question. We can go off of what Marriott says, however I don't really agree with how they place some of their hotels. From lowest to highest for me it would look something like this:

Lower-end select service:
Fairfield
Four Points
Towneplace Suites

Mid-range select service:
Courtyard
SpringHill
Aloft
Element
Residence Inn

Higher-end select service:
AC Hotels

Standard full service:
Marriott
Renaissance
Westin
Le Meridien
Autograph Collection
Delta Hotels
Sheraton*
Gaylord

Somewhere between standard full service and luxury:
W Hotels
JW Marriott

Luxury:
Edition
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Luxury Collection

I've left off the following because I really have no experience with them: Marriott Vacation Club, Tribute Portfolio, Design Hotels, Protea Hotels, Moxy, Marriott Executive Apartments

Also, I've put a * next to Sheraton because I've just found them to be more hit or miss than other properties in that category. Some are pretty decent, others are really run-down looking. I generally choose another brand if there's one available, however the newer Sheraton properties aren't bad.
Yes, this is pretty much how Marriott ranks them. However, this order is not always reflective of price - in several places, I've seen full service Marriotts, Renaissances, Autographs, etc at lower prices than nearby Courtyards, Moxy, and AC hotels. So you might want to look around for pricing options in a particular area (rather than limiting your stays to certain brands).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:15 am

Will there be soft landing for the new tiers?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:57 am

Great info. a few questions how long does platinum status take to be activated in the system once I reach it and if I'm a few nights short and I make a few reservations if by the second reservation I have passed 50 night will the hotel recognize the status change even when I made it i was still gold? And what's the difference between sh and residence?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:54 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Ijones027
Great info. a few questions how long does platinum status take to be activated in the system once I reach it and if I'm a few nights short and I make a few reservations if by the second reservation I have passed 50 night will the hotel recognize the status change even when I made it i was still gold? And what's the difference between sh and residence?
It can take a couple days to post, but once it does the status gets updated. If the hotel doesn't see it, use your app to show the current status.

There's not much difference between SpringHill and Resid Inn, other that SH used to be the Sheraton equivilent of Marriott's RI. Both earn 5 pts/$
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rbAA

There's not much difference between SpringHill and Resid Inn, other that SH used to be the Sheraton equivilent of Marriott's RI. Both earn 5 pts/$
Springhill Suites was never a Starwood brand. It was always part of the Marriott family.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Springhill Suites was never a Starwood brand. It was always part of the Marriott family.
so basically I shouldn't expect recognition if I reach 50 nights by Tuesday night if I I have stays till fri night
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
so basically I shouldn't expect recognition if I reach 50 nights by Tuesday night if I I have stays till fri night
No, not from my experience.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If it's all part of one stay, your profile won't be updated until after you check out. If it's any consolation, there is no recognition to be had at a Springhill Suites or Residence Inn.

You can enjoy your new status when you check into a full service property.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If it's all part of one stay, your profile won't be updated until after you check out. If it's any consolation, there is no recognition to be had at a Springhill Suites or Residence Inn.

4pm checkout would be the only real benefit.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rbAA
That's not correct on either point.

SHS earns 10x per dollar.

Additionally, RIs are extended stay properties with full kitchens. SHS is your typical limited service property, and will have just a microwave and a mini-fridge.

SHS are overall my favorite limited service brand, especially the new builds.
Originally Posted by cmd320
4pm checkout would be the only real benefit.
​​​​​​​They usually give me a nice room at SHS (such as a corner or view), but I agree elite benefits are limited.
Tanic and Twickenham like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:35 am

I was talking about separate stays if the status would update right away for the next night in between stays once the reservation was already booked

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.