Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about attaining Marriott Platinum Elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I already have a Bonvoy card so that gives me 15 Elite nights. Now I just need to satisfy the 35 night requirements. I'm assuming staying at any Marriott property including Category 1 will count towards achieving Platinum Elite status?

Any other comments on how to quickly and cheaply acquire Platinum Elite status would be greatly appreciated.

What happens if I were to book a stay through friends and family (assuming Marriott even have something like this)? If I have a friend or relative that have access to staff pricing, can I get this credited to my Bonvoy account?

I'm heading to New Orleans next week for a few days. I'm assuming that if I were to book my stay at a Marriott property, I can't make a reservation through Expedia or Orbitz or I won't get status right? If I have to book through Marriott's website, any other way to get the price at Courtyard to come down even more say with a coupon?

Does Delta and Marriott still have a promotion where Platinum Elites get checked bags on Delta domestic flights?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I already have a Bonvoy card so that gives me 15 Elite nights. Now I just need to satisfy the 35 night requirements. I'm assuming staying at any Marriott property including Category 1 will count towards achieving Platinum Elite status?

Any other comments on how to quickly and cheaply acquire Platinum Elite status would be greatly appreciated.

What happens if I were to book a stay through friends and family (assuming Marriott even have something like this)? If I have a friend or relative that have access to staff pricing, can I get this credited to my Bonvoy account?

I'm heading to New Orleans next week for a few days. I'm assuming that if I were to book my stay at a Marriott property, I can't make a reservation through Expedia or Orbitz or I won't get status right? If I have to book through Marriott's website, any other way to get the price at Courtyard to come down even more say with a coupon?

Does Delta and Marriott still have a promotion where Platinum Elites get checked bags on Delta domestic flights?
Yes, the hotel category is only relevant for rewards points bookings. It has no affect on elite nights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Book through Marriott.com, F&F rates do not count towards status. Try AAA (if you have it) and corporate rates if you have a legitimate reason to use them. AAA rates will, almost always, show a prepaid tab 1st so make sure to click on the other rate tabs for other AAA rates.

Unless they come out with a double your nights promo, plan on spending 35 nights with Marriott this year.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Also try to book one conference or meeting room as cheaply as possible during one of your trips for 10 extra nights credit. They are pretty easy to get for $200 without having to pay for any food and beverage to go with it. You can do this once per year. Confirm with the hotel that it will receive full "rewarding events" credit.
More info here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...2018-a-57.html
lsquare, atbPy and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hipquest
Book through Marriott.com, F&F rates do not count towards status. Try AAA (if you have it) and corporate rates if you have a legitimate reason to use them. AAA rates will, almost always, show a prepaid tab 1st so make sure to click on the other rate tabs for other AAA rates.

Unless they come out with a double your nights promo, plan on spending 35 nights with Marriott this year.
Does Marriott.com always charge in USD or the currency changes depending on where I book or where the hotel is located? I don't have AAA at the moment. How does one get the AAA rate? I'm assuming BCAA is part of or have some sort of associated with AAA?

How often does Marriott have double your nights promo?

Marriott have a lot of brands. Which ones are the lowest and then up to the highest?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What are your intended use for Plat status?

Assuming you can get something around 100 USD all-inclusive on average per night, and even that kind of price range would be difficult, 35 nights would translate into 3,500 USD, something you would have to attain/retain each year.
​​​​​​
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Marriott have a lot of brands. Which ones are the lowest and then up to the highest?
This is a somewhat varied question. We can go off of what Marriott says, however I don't really agree with how they place some of their hotels. From lowest to highest for me it would look something like this:

Lower-end select service:
Fairfield
Four Points
Towneplace Suites

Mid-range select service:
Courtyard
SpringHill
Aloft
Element
Residence Inn

Higher-end select service:
AC Hotels

Standard full service:
Marriott
Renaissance
Westin
Le Meridien
Autograph Collection
Delta Hotels
Sheraton*
Gaylord

Somewhere between standard full service and luxury:
W Hotels
JW Marriott

Luxury:
Edition
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Luxury Collection

I've left off the following because I really have no experience with them: Marriott Vacation Club, Tribute Portfolio, Design Hotels, Protea Hotels, Moxy, Marriott Executive Apartments

Also, I've put a * next to Sheraton because I've just found them to be more hit or miss than other properties in that category. Some are pretty decent, others are really run-down looking. I generally choose another brand if there's one available, however the newer Sheraton properties aren't bad.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What are your intended use for Plat status?

Assuming you can get something around 100 USD all-inclusive on average per night, and even that kind of price range would be difficult, 35 nights would translate into 3,500 USD, something you would have to attain/retain each year.
​​​​​​
Breakfast, late check-out, and I think I also get UA Premier Silver, which gives 1 free checked bag. That will help on domestic flights right?

US$100/night all-inclusive? Examples?
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Does Marriott.com always charge in USD or the currency changes depending on where I book or where the hotel is located? I don't have AAA at the moment. How does one get the AAA rate? I'm assuming BCAA is part of or have some sort of associated with AAA?

How often does Marriott have double your nights promo?

Marriott's booking system via the website charges in the local currency of the hotel you are planing to book. You can easily search google to learn about lowest to highest brands at Marriott. Just go to marriott.com and click on "Our brands" at the top. I'm pretty sure they are in the order Marriott considers them. The following link has some info about each brand.

https://skift.com/2016/09/21/every-o...nds-explained/
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Breakfast, late check-out, and I think I also get UA Premier Silver, which gives 1 free checked bag. That will help on domestic flights right?

UA Silver is available to Titanium elites. You’ll need to hit 75 nights for that.
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You need to be a AAA member and have a membership card to use AAA rates.

Sometimes you get lucky and see a promo/package rate on the Starriott website that's a good deal, such as a restaurant credit for more than the difference in rates.

Is Plat guaranteed 4 pm late checkout in the new Bonvoy program or is it just 2 pm if available?

Generally, OP should look at T&C carefully to see whether Bonvoy Plat benefits are worth 35 nights and dealing with current Starrriott customer service and website problems.

In almost all foreign destinations, definitive prices are stated in the local currency. US$ rates appear as a courtesy and are based on current currency exchange rates, which of course can change significantly.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

all-in - auto-correct from my phone

I was just using 100 USD as a hypothetical minimum per night cost. You actual costs to attain/retain Plat status maybe higher (or lower).

Unless you can find inexpensive rooms in your local area, you would also need to factor time and cost to get there (e.g. air, train).

You'd also have the option to complete a Plat challenge, 16 nights within 90 days.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:35 pm

This is my plan too- 15 EQNs from credit card, 10 EQNs from a Rewarding Event, and 25+ nights from cheap staycations/award nights/everything else. CB from Ebates/Jewel negates taxes. Despite the point devaluations, I've had good experiences with being a Titanium in both domestic and international properties.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Double-elite night deals and status challenges are the fastest way to do it but in my experience, it’s hard to count on doing either (and the challenge can typically only be done once every X years, not sure on the particulars). The good news is that most of the time those types of things stack. Meaning that if you are on a 16 night in 90 days challenge, that can stack with a double elite nights promo, meaning you’d really only have to do 8.

You may want to check with your employer to see if they have any deals/promos with Marriott. This usually requires a larger employer, but it’s worth checking out because it can loosen the elite requirements.

That said, if you’re not going to spend 30+ nights in hotels a year, I’m not sure the benefits are worth the time/money. That’s subjective, I realize — but something to keep in mind.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. . .
Is Plat guaranteed 4 pm late checkout in the new Bonvoy program or is it just 2 pm if available?

. . .
4:00 p.m. late checkout is a guaranteed Platinum benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.