Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another Bonvoy Benefit Demotion -- Hertz President's Circle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

In 2018 ...
Marriott Platinum Premier received complimentary Hertz President's Circle.
Marriott Platinum received complimentary Hertz 5-Star

In 2019 ...
Only Ambassador levels receive President's Circle
Platinum Premier ... Now Titanium ... receives 5-Star

Looks like I might be switching back to National. The 5-Star selection at most places I frequent seems a notch below Emerald Aisle, and I tend to get out of the lot faster with National.
CO-PLAT and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
In 2018 ...
Marriott Platinum Premier received complimentary Hertz President's Circle.
Marriott Platinum received complimentary Hertz 5-Star

In 2019 ...
Only Ambassador levels receive President's Circle
Platinum Premier ... Now Titanium ... receives 5-Star

Looks like I might be switching back to National. The 5-Star selection at most places I frequent seems a notch below Emerald Aisle, and I tend to get out of the lot faster with National.
I don't see this as a demotion. In 2018, the legacy Platinum Premier program was an unpublished program. While its unpublished, I believe it was harder to achieve than the new ambassador program, as it looked at a sustained travel period, rather than simply 100 nights and 20k spend in a single year.

Old Marriott Platinum became Platinum Premier and now Titanium but that's not the same as the legacy Platinum Premier which gave the President's Circle benefit.
DJ_Iceman and ryw like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I guess my point is that last year, a level that was not connected to a yearly spend was granted President's Circle.
Now the only way to get PC is to achieve a level with a yearly spend instead of just nights.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I guess my point is that last year, a level that was not connected to a yearly spend was granted President's Circle.
Now the only way to get PC is to achieve a level with a yearly spend instead of just nights.
I understand but historically, the legacy Platinum Premier benefit likely required more than $20k in annualized spend (perhaps adjusted) looking over several years.

There was only a four month window when the old Plat became Platinum Premier and I suppose inherited the Presidents Circle Match.

Now the United Silver .... is another story!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:34 pm

Just curious, does the 5 star Hertz benefit for Titanium work in a similar way to the United benefit? I have maintained 5 star status on my own for several years, but might need the 5 star status from Marriott next year. Is 5 star automatic, or would I have to sign up for it?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Just for the record the Amb requirement for Prez is not new, and I can recall its being discussed here at least as far back as last summer. It's Hertz's top-tier status and I'm not personally in favor of that sort of thing being handed out like candy, so I'm glad of the requirement, personally.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Link accounts here: https://mrhertzstatus.com/MemberFAQ

Amb was not a requirement for PC status as of 1/1/18. Only platinum premier. https://insiders.marriott.com/blogs/...-offer-benefit

I was PP for 4 years. 1100+ nights in 10 years.
I am one of the few that has not been inconvenienced by the merger and the new consolidated program, except for a non-posting of points last week.
Except for hating the name, I was content.

So for PP's with Amb, the benefit did not change.
For PP's who were short of Amb, it has. It is that simple. And all I heard was the PP was equivalent to Titanium for the last few months. But now find out that Titanium lacks PC.
And now they have one more member a little ticked off at the "change" as 5-star is really not a benefit compared to Emerald Aisle from National which is free.

No big deal really. I'll just go back to National. Just amazing how many different ways folks can get Bonvoyed.
Jaunts, CO-PLAT, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I take it you didn't qualify for President's Circle on your own & required the freebie status from MAR? If so, is Hertz going to miss you? You're willing to go back to National doesn't sound like a lot of Hertz loyalty. I don't mean that snarkily btw. I'm just trying to understand.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you've got an AMEX Plat card then get your National EE and status match to Hertz PC. (Not specifically Marriott Bombay related, I realize - just trying to offer OP another option.)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Sure, if I qualified for PC on my own, none of this would matter.

So what you are saying is that giving a status level a benefit for a single year then taking it away should create loyalty? I would be surprised if everyone could become "loyal" after only one year. I spent around $3,000 on Hertz cars last year. It was a slow year for cars but a big year for flights and hotels. But one reason why companies want to grant status to high ranking members of one travel program is because their travel needs could change and the "free benefit" partner could catch some serious revenue. My business could very well necessitate I spend 6x that on rental cars in 2020, and whichever company I start the year with will get that revenue. So Hertz might want to "bookmark" a Marriott PP member who was given status in 2018 since they are more likely to need to rent more cars than an AMEX credit card holder who barely travels at all. That is giving status away like candy.

What I am saying is that for the PC service and the rates I was paying, Hertz was better than National. Otherwise, at the stations I frequent, National Aisle is better than Hertz 5-star. One major difference is that at these stations, at the times I tend to arrive, Hertz had consistently longer lines at the garage exit. The quality of the cars was about equal (Aisle to 5-Star).

Oh, and I just realized I still have PC because of my DL Diamond status. So all I lost was my "backup" status with MAR.
Yes, this is probably the event that will finally tip the scales for me to get an AMEX Centurion card if I lose DM with Delta.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Mar 9, 2019 at 8:32 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:57 pm

Link accounts here: https://mrhertzstatus.com/MemberFAQ

Amb was not a requirement for PC status as of 1/1/18. Only platinum premier. https://insiders.marriott.com/blogs/...-offer-benefit

I was PP for 4 years. 1100+ nights in 10 years.
I am one of the few that has not been inconvenienced by the merger and the new consolidated program, except for a non-posting of points last week.
Except for hating the name, I was content.

So for PP's with Amb, the benefit did not change.
For PP's who were short of Amb, it has. It is that simple. And all I heard was the PP was equivalent to Titanium for the last few months. But now find out that Titanium lacks PC.
But when you had PP for the 3-4 years preceding 1/1/18, didn't you stay more than 100 nights and spend more than 20k annually?

After 8/18, Plat Premier was equivalent to the old Platinum. Now old Platinum is equivalent to Titanium.

I've used the PC benefit twice this year. Your not missing anything.

I was PC with Hertz for 10 years before I got tired to the failure to comply with the program and started using Uber. Kind of amazing one can go from renting 60-75 times a year to renting 5 times a year and not hear a sound from Hertz.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Exactly when am I going to be Bonvoy'd? My Hertz account still shows President's Circle.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:51 pm

National > Hertz anyway... Definitely a downgrade in Marriott perks, but for overall experience, I think moving your business over to National is worth it.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You would still get PC with your Delta status.

There are so many ways to get PC with Hertz as a comp'd status.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I have Hertz PC because of my LT status with UA. Over the years I’ve been Hertz no status and earned 5-star. I’ve seriously never seen any difference in my rental experience with them between no status, 5-star and PC.
margarita girl and C17PSGR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.