Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What’s Marriott Customer Service team’s role?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s Marriott Customer Service team’s role?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wendySFO
What I want to find out is if I have the wrong expectation of Marriott's "Customer Service" team.
You do. It appears you don't understand franchising. Your contract is with the property, not Marriott. Marriott can enforce Bonvoy program requirements (welcome gifts, for example) but the broad hospitality deliverables are the responsibility of the property. If you have an issue get it resolved before departing the property.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You do. It appears you don't understand franchising. Your contract is with the property, not Marriott. Marriott can enforce Bonvoy program requirements (welcome gifts, for example) but the broad hospitality deliverables are the responsibility of the property. If you have an issue get it resolved before departing the property.
What's the point in being so condescending?

Marriott is the brand, the product and should be the customer service. Just like every other merchant/retailer/chain in this world that also offers up franchising rights. If they want to put the onus on the hotel to resolve things after-the-fact, that's fine, but they should be responsible for confirming resolution.

There's no reason to say that all issues should be resolved before you leave.
itsaboutthejourney and Sabai like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by freezephotog
Marriott's Customer Service is literally non existent. Called the Platinum Service line and had to hold for over 10 minutes. Its awful. So sad the merge happened. Everything that was great about SPG is now gone.
Prior to 8/18 MAR folk didn't have to wait 10 minutes either. We used to get good customer service. This isn't a case of everything was bad w/ MAR. Post-merger it's bad for both sides.

Re: customer service & complaints re: properties. Sometimes it goes the elite's way; sometimes it doesn't. As someone noted above, it's hard to provide info or find out which way it should go w/o more details.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: customer service & complaints re: properties. Sometimes it goes the elite's way; sometimes it doesn't. As someone noted above, it's hard to provide info or find out which way it should go w/o more details.

Cheers.
The question is what the Customer Service team does? Are they suppose to drive for a resolution for the case I open (regardless in favor of the elites or not)? Should they get back to me when there is a response or let it sit there rotten? does it sound right the property involved in the case can close the case and there is nothing relay back to me who open the case?

Sounds like close the cases by properties are nothing new from hearing experience of other FTers here. And so far I see no evidence there is any SLA built-in to meet my needs.

This make sense if I am not their customer, as some pointed out here. Then Marriott should not pretend the Customer Service is for Loyalty Program Members, they are not here for me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The question is what the Customer Service team does? Are they suppose to drive for a resolution for the case I open (regardless in favor of the elites or not)? Should they get back to me when there is a response or let it sit there rotten?
That's what Hilton corporate does. They will both follow up with the property and typically award cs comp (points). There's a nifty feature in the Hilton app which allows you to register feedback to corporate either during or after your stay.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
What's the point in being so condescending?

Marriott is the brand, the product and should be the customer service. Just like every other merchant/retailer/chain in this world that also offers up franchising rights. If they want to put the onus on the hotel to resolve things after-the-fact, that's fine, but they should be responsible for confirming resolution.

There's no reason to say that all issues should be resolved before you leave.

I think this is like the distinction between the big airlines and their regional subsidiaries. So you would say Skywest employee, for example.
A distinction lost on customers.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think this is like the distinction between the big airlines and their regional subsidiaries. So you would say Skywest employee, for example.
A distinction lost on customers.
Not to go too far OT, but I’ve always found this argument to be terrible. If the airlines (hotels, whatever) didn’t want customers to associate this arms-length related party with them, they shouldn’t slap their name on it. To do so and also throw up arms to say “not my problem, isn’t me” is disingenuous in the best case.
h2rdw1r3d likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm with you. Very frustrating that properties can close cases without any feedback to the Bonvoy member. CS should at the very least get back to the customer with resolution whether it's what the customer requested or not.

The question is what the Customer Service team does? Are they suppose to drive for a resolution for the case I open (regardless in favor of the elites or not)? Should they get back to me when there is a response or let it sit there rotten? does it sound right the property involved in the case can close the case and there is nothing relay back to me who open the case?

Sounds like close the cases by properties are nothing new from hearing experience of other FTers here. And so far I see no evidence there is any SLA built-in to meet my needs.

This make sense if I am not their customer, as some pointed out here. Then Marriott should not pretend the Customer Service is for Loyalty Program Members, they are not here for me.
EuropeanPete and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
As has been so astutely noted here on many occasions, to Marriott the customers are the property owners/operators, and we are the product that Marriott delivers to said customers. It's a scenario almost exactly as OP describes that caused me to abandon Marriott for SPG some years back.
This is a huge reason why I was an SPG customer and avoided Marriott like the plague prior to this terrible merger. What has been helpful to get Marriott's attention has been to get the Better Business Bureau of Maryland involved when I have enough emails of non-response or clueless response from Marriott. It appears that the BBB has someone at Marriott that gets their attention and resolves my problems quickly. It's sad I have to do that, but that to me is why the above statement about the property owners/operators is so true.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by calguy77

Customer care has been hit or miss. I was charged wrong and the hotel didn't respond, the customer care took about 4 months to get it resolved.
Y’all are so impatient; I would expect that both employees are rather busy of late.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I have had cases open for 6 months. I would say I have been pretty patient. I am not holding my breath waiting for a response.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by freezephotog
Marriott's Customer Service is literally non existent. Called the Platinum Service line and had to hold for over 10 minutes. Its awful. So sad the merge happened. Everything that was great about SPG is now gone.
I have called twice in three days and on hold for over 30 mins each time.

I hung up and booked elsewhere.

As a Tit Elite, this is not acceptable.

I maintain that Marriott Executive Offices need a full sweep.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The question is what the Customer Service team does? Are they suppose to drive for a resolution for the case I open (regardless in favor of the elites or not)?
It would appear - post merger, Marriott customer service only acts as a liaison between you and the hotel but has no enforceable powers. In this strong economy, your best recourse is a bad review of the property and don't stay there again.

My recommendation moving forward is to try to work it out with the hotel yourself - use Marriott customer service as a backup - or, don't stay at Marriott properties if this is a dealbreaker for you.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott PLT
Ok, I knew I would find an answer here. This board is worth its weight in, well I was going to say gold but I won't even go there.

My complaint with the property has to do with the website, the app, the reservation system, and the guarantee I get the room I booked.
(Long story short: Booked a suite, confirmed a suite, got to hotel, oops no suite, root cause of the prob: Marriott app lists suites that do not exist at hotel -- in the meantime, I still did not get the suite I booked and no compensation because the hotel said it was a corporate issue, Corporate refers me to the property) I call or email to complain, am told it will be resolved and that the property will reach out to me, and then quietly it is closed with no resolution whatsoever a few days later and I am none the wiser. I guess eventually I will have to move on and forget it, right? I'm just going to take it up with American Express. They'll start listening when they stop getting paid.

This circular nonsense has got to stop. I realize that right now in the middle of the s--tstorm that Marriott is in, no one wants to be the one that stands up and owns any particular piece of this fiasco, but it is getting to the point where all trust and loyalty has been lost and no one is going to believe anything anyone tells them. And what is the point of a *loyalty* program then?

I can't even remember the last time something was so mismanaged.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
What has been helpful to get Marriott's attention has been to get the Better Business Bureau of Maryland involved when I have enough emails of non-response or clueless response from Marriott.
Short of MAR screwing up on credit card (and then one can challenge it w/ CC company), or proactively putting my safety in jeopardy or trying to defraud me aka the pillow guy, I can't imagine contacting the BBB, much less contact them multiple times. That truly boggles my mind & is a

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.