Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Lounge Access - Titanium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
To get free breakfast or exec lounge access at a Ritz Carlton, it must be included in the rate. Elite status does not get one either for free.
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Lounge Access - Titanium

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jinrop
Although I wish lounge access was given to elites, I could see how it would be cost prohibitive at many RC properties. My only RC lounge experiences are hong kong and new orleans, but the food and beverage offered was a step above any other lounge Ive ever seen. If elites were given access they would absolutely have to go to lower quality champagne and wines. I dont expect free flow veuve clicquot every time I step into a ritz carlton just because I'm a titanium. It's just not realistic.
I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in San Juan, St. Thomas, Pentagon City, Georgetown, Washington and Toronto. Not a single one of these properties served expensive wine in the club lounge, unless a bottle priced between $7 and $14 is your definition of expensive.

The Pentagon City club lounge served the Hôtel Ritz private label champagne from Barons de Rothschild one night when I complained about the $7 sparkling wine being served. The rest of my stay they served me Chanon sparkling wine from California. Inexpensive, but drinkable.

If Ritz-Carlton can't afford to open a couple bottles of champagne every night in the club lounge, when access is generally at least $100-$150 more expensive than regular rooms without access, then the properties have a serious revenue problem.

Some of the new M Club lounges at Marriott's flagship Marriott properties have food offerings as good as some of the Ritz-Carlton club lounges. The only difference is most M Club lounges don't have daytime food offerings.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Valid point. But IMO they (along with Edition) are getting off too easy not having to offer any breakfast benefit at all.
This is off-topic, but I honestly do not know Edition's raison d'etre. I believe most or all Edition properties are managed by Ritz-Carlton, but the brand is confusing, doesn't offer much value (there isn't even a paid-access club lounge) and properties are few and far between, but I digress.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in San Juan, St. Thomas, Pentagon City, Georgetown, Washington and Toronto. Not a single one of these properties served expensive wine in the club lounge, unless a bottle priced between $7 and $14 is your definition of expensive.

The Pentagon City club lounge served the Hôtel Ritz private label champagne from Barons de Rothschild one night when I complained about the $7 sparkling wine being served. The rest of my stay they served me Chanon sparkling wine from California. Inexpensive, but drinkable.

If Ritz-Carlton can't afford to open a couple bottles of champagne every night in the club lounge, when access is generally at least $100-$150 more expensive than regular rooms without access, then the properties have a serious revenue problem.

Some of the new M Club lounges at Marriott's flagship Marriott properties have food offerings as good as some of the Ritz-Carlton club lounges. The only difference is most M Club lounges don't have daytime food offerings.
My experience in the club lounge in Hong Kong was wildly different than your experiences. There were 2 people walking around pouring Veuve 24 hours a day, Im not sure how many cases they must go through a day as they have full bar 24 hours a day there and there were always people drinking champagne every time we went,. Im guessing the quality will vary quite a bit from property to property, but the liqour was all top shelf and they were pouring champagne like it was water at $50 a bottle. I feel like I definitely got my money's worth between the food and drink in that lounge. It was impressive. There were always at least 10 people working/serving in the lounge at all times as well. I dont expect this type of quality just for being titanium. If the lounge in other places isn't to this level I can see being a little upset at the charge.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Not unusual to find champagne (Leroy Duval, Pol Roger etc) at Club Millesime / Sofitel, sometimes even at breakfast

always have 2-3 glasses per day and the staff encourage to have more.

I think if Ritz Carlton Club room have an average rate >100€ per night than standard room is a shame to don’t offer any champagne.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jinrop
My experience in the club lounge in Hong Kong was wildly different than your experiences.
As all of us should know, just every every hotel brand's properties in Asia are better than the same brand's properties in North America.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dav77
I think if Ritz Carlton Club room have an average rate >100€ per night than standard room is a shame to don’t offer any champagne.
The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City claimed "corporate's standards" forced them to serve Ruffino prosecco, which was horrible and just plain undrinkable.

I doubt that's true. My guess is corporate sets a minimum standard, which more likely than not is "sparkling wine" and not specifically champagne, prosecco, or cava. The individual property's general manager or food-and-beverage manager probably then selects what they serve, based on whatever budgetary considerations thay have to make.

Personally, I prefer a good cava (Spanish sparkling wine) over a good prosecco since the cava is made using the same traditional or champagne method as French champagne.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Sorry for the rant, not providing breakfast is bogus. Are RC eggs more expensive than courtyard eggs? Or the bacon?
As a GOV traveler, the chance to stay at a RC on the GOV rate is rare, VERY RARE. Last month when booking travel to CLE, the RC had
a GOV rate open. I booked it, but quickly cancelled it because of the restrictions. In lieu, I booked at the REN which is a great old dame of a
property. A GORGEOUS lounge, great offerings and huge room.

One of the reasons I originally departed MR for SPG was the consistent inconsistency.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City claimed "corporate's standards" forced them to serve Ruffino prosecco, which was horrible and just plain undrinkable.

I doubt that's true. My guess is corporate sets a minimum standard, which more likely than not is "sparkling wine" and not specifically champagne, prosecco, or cava. The individual property's general manager or food-and-beverage manager probably then selects what they serve, based on whatever budgetary considerations thay have to make.

Personally, I prefer a good cava (Spanish sparkling wine) over a good prosecco since the cava is made using the same traditional or champagne method as French champagne.
for me the only point is:

how much a bottle of champagne (like ones above) cost for them ? 15€. Probably less.

So, on my opinion, they are ridiculous if don’t offer

if I want to be offered 4€ bottle wine I can get it at any 2/3* hotel. Don’t need to book a club room at Ritz
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Sorry for the rant, not providing breakfast is bogus. Are RC eggs more expensive than courtyard eggs? Or the bacon?
As a GOV traveler, the chance to stay at a RC on the GOV rate is rare, VERY RARE. Last month when booking travel to CLE, the RC had
a GOV rate open. I booked it, but quickly cancelled it because of the restrictions. In lieu, I booked at the REN which is a great old dame of a
property. A GORGEOUS lounge, great offerings and huge room.

One of the reasons I originally departed MR for SPG was the consistent inconsistency.
I agree, but especially in the club lounge when there isn't a chef and the eggs are just in warming plates.

Even if the property is relatively empty the profit margin off the food served in most Ritz-Carlton club lounges has to be pretty high, given the significant up-charge for club lounge access. Ritz-Carlton's owners likely don't want to give up this flow of cash by opening up the lounges with complimentary access for those with otherwise eligible elite status.

The Ritz-Carlton Washington, Georgetown and Pentagon City properties are generally available on the government rate, at least if booked far ahead of time. Additionally, the Pentagon City property often has regular rates under $200 on the weekend.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dav77

for me the only point is:

how much a bottle of champagne (like ones above) cost for them ? 15€. Probably less.

So, on my opinion, they are ridiculous if don’t offer

if I want to be offered 4€ bottle wine I can get it at any 2/3* hotel. Don’t need to book a club room at Ritz
I can't imagine the Ritz-Carlton is paying more than $4 (3.55 euros) for a bottle of Ruffino prosecco. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ritz-Carlton gets paid by some wine brands to stock their brands in the club lounge.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hotel Arts club lounge in Barcelona has always had French champagne.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Perhaps we could start a thread saying post which champagne which hotels offers? When I've stayed at RCs, the lounges had 'real' champagne. My guess is that's still more the norm than the exception. Perhaps Pentagon went w/ less because room rates are normally cheaper there, but that's a topic for a different thread. The OP's original question/complaint has been answered.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
What I've found is that you can ask in the RC Club Lounges for pretty much any spirt if hotel bar has it. I know at the RCs Tysons Corners, Washington, SF, Half Moon Bay, Ft Lauderdale and Cancun this is the case. When they ask if they can get you anything they mean it at least that's what I've found.

The RC Washington serves a decent smaller house French Champagne normally but at times a prosecco, not Ruffino, and it was no problem to ask for true champagne. I've gotten pretty good pours of Machallan 12, I haven't ask for better than that.

The RC in Tysons Corners is pretty much the same, normally decent small house French Champagne. I've never stayed at the PC RC. The room rates at Tysons Corners is often less than RC PC. My and daughter go for shopping weekends and its often $135 (AAA rate)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ripley62
When they ask if they can get you anything they mean it at least that's what I've found.
Of course, but it may or may not come with a bill.
LimeyFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Luxury Collection always provided breakfast and sometimes provided lounge access under the old SPG rules. Of course not all properties have lounges.

Under the new rules, Luxury Collection always provides breakfast and sometimes provides lounge access.

So no change for either LC, StR, or RC. Of course, some properties although managed by the same people have made the decision to cut out lounge access (I believe that includes the Nines in Portland and the Prince .... in Japan).

Of course, the lounge in a RC is very different than a lounge in JW/Marriott/Renn/Westin/Sheraton so the difference in lounge access makes sense. Breakfast, is another story and another thread to be started again soon
However, let's not forget that Starriott likes to pretend that the JW brand is equivalent to LC and StR.

I can understand that RC is an exception, given the typical $100+ per person per night upcharge for a room with lounge access. Moreover, IME the RC Hong Kong lounge is worth it, given the offerings, although I remember a restricted set of wine (and beer) choices available 24/7, with the good stuff (good champagne and XO cognac, for instance, plus some really good French wines) being available only at set times, when mixed drinks (hard alcohol) were also available. It was clearly the best hotel lounge I've ever experienced, by a big margin.

I also remember a USA RC lounge where they had good (XO) cognac, but if you didn't ask for it, you would be given VSOP.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.