Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moved to Europe - Best Marriott Alternative?

Old Mar 9, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

I've been a longtime Marriott customer while living in the US but have now moved to the UK, and Marriott no longer seems to be the best option.

I will be traveling extensively on business around Europe and the Middle East (with occasional trips to Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong) and I'm looking for a recommendation of the best Marriott alternative. I'm looking for good availability of mid-priced business hotels in all the major cities, paired with a good rewards program.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Why is Marriott no longer the best option? What are you looking for?

I use Marriott in Europe a lot, and never had a problem. Some more info would be useful here.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
The programme is not having a good moment, but for hotels Marriott is still the best alternative. Only time will tell if the programme remains the best, but with a bit of luck it'll get its .... back together soon.
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: Accor Hotel, Hilton Honors, Emirates, Alitalia, Amex
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
The programme is not having a good moment, but for hotels Marriott is still the best alternative. Only time will tell if the programme remains the best, but with a bit of luck it'll get its .... back together soon.
What does it means “best alternative” ?

I can speack for Italy, where I have >100 nights per year for business at middle-level hotels.

I have just small experience at Marriotts, starting from this year, compared with quite big experience at Accors and what I can say is:

it depends what are you looking for or what is more important for you.

-if you are mainly interested to “quality” > Marriott win

comparing middle level price hotels like Ac Hotel - Four Points - Courtyard - Moxy with Novotel - Mercure, Marriott properties are often better ( newer, more functional, better tier recognition)

-if you are mainly interested to be rewarded > Accor win

80% of the time you have x2/x3/x4- 1.000 pts bonus - other bonus points offer with Accor.

Please consider, on that, I haven’t actually got any “targeted promotion” (maybe because a new member - maybe because i’m running for Plat challange - maybe because ...I don’t know)

probably my opinion would change if I could get.

Even if Accor bonus points promotions are “for all”, never targeted.

Then, what I can say is Marriott have better CC, quicker at post points, better App and website

Old Mar 9, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
IHG does have an extended footprint in Europe compared to Marriott.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post

I use Marriott in Europe a lot, and never had a problem. Some more info would be useful here.
+1. I travel a fair amount through Europe and the only place where I've encountered a weak Marriott/SPG footprint is in the Nordics but Hilton/IHG aren't very strong there either.

The acquisition of the AC brand a few years back really improved the Marriott footprint especially in midsize European cities.
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:34 pm

Marriott in the Nordics footprint is horrible, there's only a CY in Stockholm and none in Norway - not sure if there's any in Finland.

In Germany it is good except if you are staying at limited service then IHG has a very solid footprint of HIX - their breakfast is much better than the US HIXs. Hilton is also expanding their HI in Germany.

So if you are only staying in full service hotels then Marriott has a great footprint in Europe, but if you are looking for HIX style then Hilton/IHG will be great alternatives.
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Marriott in the Nordics footprint is horrible, there's only a CY in Stockholm and none in Norway - not sure if there's any in Finland.
Based in Sweden I feel I need to say I agree with you and correct you. We have a Marriott in Cph, Sheraton and CY in Sthlm and plenty of DH in Cph, Sthlm and Helsinki. There's also a Moxy outside central Oslo. But no more Marriott hotel in the other cities.
Thanks to other successful nordic hotel chains like the Nordic choice (Clarion etc), Scandic etc there's already a very unfair situation in place for others to enter. Another reason why an american hotel chain like Marriott won't try to increase its footprints in the nordic counties is mostly because the majority of americans are usually fine with visiting the capitals.
I stayed in Sheraton Stockholm this week for a couple of nights. Americans everywhere.

​​​​​​Outside the Nordic market in Europe you will see hotels from Marriott in smaller cities and not just in the capitals.
I think Accor and IHG have a great footprint in Europe (outside the Nordic of course) but IHG has a bit better membership than Accor.
I really hope Marriott will improve its footprint further in Europe and launch more plans soon. There are already Marriott properties in Asia everywhere 😉
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:52 pm

Accor Hotel would be another option. That used to be my second choice after SPG. Sofitel, Novotel or Mercure and other brands are located in various places across EMEA. However their loyalty system is far behind SPG/Bonvoy other than accumulating points. If you've been satisfied with Bonvoy, only consider the second chain.
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Accor would be obvious for Europe in general (not so much Scandinavia) if Starriott/Bonvoy doesn't work. Hilton doesn't seem to dominate Starriott except maybe in customer service and website issues, and Hyatt has too small of a footprint. It would help to know the OP's goals and travel patterns.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It would help to know the OP's goals and travel patterns.
It's always hard to respond to threads like this w/o the OP of such threads providing more detailed info. The more that's provide, the better we can all respond vs. just tossing things out there, not knowing if it applies to the OP(s) or not.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
I use Accor as my backup

Footprint wise they do have more hotels in EU compared to Marriott

You might need to lower the expectation abit as the CS seems to be even less responsive than Marriott's CS

And if Asian Accor hotels can become an indication, elite recognitions expectation have to be lowered as well
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: Accor Hotel, Hilton Honors, Emirates, Alitalia, Amex
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
I use Accor as my backup

Footprint wise they do have more hotels in EU compared to Marriott

You might need to lower the expectation abit as the CS seems to be even less responsive than Marriott's CS

And if Asian Accor hotels can become an indication, elite recognitions expectation have to be lowered as well
but if you like to eat 1 apple 🍎 per day, Accor are surely better 😁
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Indeed!
Dav77 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Based in Sweden I feel I need to say I agree with you and correct you. We have a Marriott in Cph, Sheraton and CY in Sthlm and plenty of DH in Cph, Sthlm and Helsinki. There's also a Moxy outside central Oslo. But no more Marriott hotel in the other cities.
Thanks to other successful nordic hotel chains like the Nordic choice (Clarion etc), Scandic etc there's already a very unfair situation in place for others to enter. Another reason why an american hotel chain like Marriott won't try to increase its footprints in the nordic counties is mostly because the majority of americans are usually fine with visiting the capitals.
I stayed in Sheraton Stockholm this week for a couple of nights. Americans everywhere.

​​​​​​Outside the Nordic market in Europe you will see hotels from Marriott in smaller cities and not just in the capitals.
I think Accor and IHG have a great footprint in Europe (outside the Nordic of course) but IHG has a bit better membership than Accor.
I really hope Marriott will improve its footprint further in Europe and launch more plans soon. There are already Marriott properties in Asia everywhere ��
I know that there are other Marriotts in the Nordic, but what I'm talking about is the lower cost versions, not the Marriott, DH, Sheraton....... but more like CY, Fairfield Inn. Not every business travellers get to stay at FS hotels - Mr is an example, the only place his employer will let him stay at a FS Marriott is in India. He had to stay at HIX in Beijing.

Radisson has a good footprint in Scandinavia too - I find their rooms better than Scandic/Choice.

I feel the main drawback for Marriott in Europe is lack of budget options compared to IHG.

Search this Thread