FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Do you fill out a Survey? Something I learned... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1960018-do-you-fill-out-survey-something-i-learned.html)

calguy77 Mar 9, 2019 2:49 am

Do you fill out a Survey? Something I learned...

When Marriott send a survey to you after your stay? Do you fill it out each time you receive it? Or, do you fill it out only if you had a negative experience?
Just curious, I see on some boards people fill these out and hammer the hotels in the hope for getting extra points as an I'm sorry from the hotel. I admit I used to do that as well, write a negative review(of course something negative did happen during my stay), give all low scores as I was upset that I didn't get an upgrade or I wasn't given lounge access(with my level i'm not entitled) and a small part of me hoped I would get a points as an I'm sorry from the property.

Over the past year I decided to do my reviews a little different. I decide to be positive on things that were really good for my stay( give 9's 10's) and if I had something that I felt wasn't up to standards I would say "Loved my room, staff was great, breakfast was nice but I was a little taken back that I wasn't offered an upgrade at check in" Sure enough I would get a reply that thanked me for my kind review and gave me 5000 points as an act of good will for no upgrade. Or 1000 points because I pointed out the wait at check in was a bit long.

I guess what i'm noticing i that giving a positive review with the hotel gets me a more of a reaction than a negative. I'm thinking hotels must be happy for the good review and rewards for that. While a negative review can't be changed so why bother giving a guest compensation when the damage is done. Working in retail I know these review scores were watched closely by the corporate people above. Talking to Marriott employees during my stays they make comments how reviews tend to always be negative. Hearing this is what changed how I approached my reviews. We are always quick to criticize bad but never take the time to recognize the good. I mean look at most of the boards on flyertalk, complain, complain, complain...:)

Any thoughts?

EuropeanPete Mar 9, 2019 2:56 am

Since the Marriott merger I've stopped receiving customer surveys entirely. It's a bit of a shame, as I think I was able to make some helpful contributions at times, recognize some great staff and on occasion have good conversations with the hotel management.

Handcake Mar 9, 2019 3:40 am

It is hit and miss for me getting surveys.

In my last 4 hotel stays, only 2/4 sent me a survey.

I was positive on both as both were great experiences.

CraigerC Mar 9, 2019 9:08 am

I've never once received a survey or been able to write a review. My communications preferences have no restrictions, is there something else I'm missing?

kaizen7 Mar 9, 2019 10:58 am

I believe I haven't receive any survey since August merge and February Bonvoyed
I did fill TA review though for some of the new stays ... not the repeat one

dayone Mar 9, 2019 11:39 am

I think there is an old thread about these surveys. My understanding is that if you really like a particular survey element, you need to give it a 9 or 10 for the hotel to benefit.

hockeyinsider Mar 9, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30865141)
Since the Marriott merger I've stopped receiving customer surveys entirely. It's a bit of a shame, as I think I was able to make some helpful contributions at times, recognize some great staff and on occasion have good conversations with the hotel management.

With legacy Marriott I received a survey after almost every stay until maybe a year or so ago. Now, I get one maybe 3 or 4 times per year. There is one property that sends a survey after every stay so perhaps properties have to initiate the survey.

Making it more frustrating is the fact that you can't post a review (good or bad) on Marriott.com if you didn't receive a survey.

calguy77 Mar 9, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30866467)
I think there is an old thread about these surveys. My understanding is that if you really like a particular survey element, you need to give it a 9 or 10 for the hotel to benefit.

I've heard this as well. Anything lower than a 9 gives the hotel a 0. I wish they would allow you to change a score if the team corrects the issues. It seems once you are negative, the damage is done and hotels thoughts are, "Oh well, you already hit us, no reason to do anything" Seems like a flawed system that hurts the guest by not getting a resolution and hurts the hotel as they don't do anything to fix it.

MePlatPremier Mar 9, 2019 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by calguy77 (Post 30866713)
I've heard this as well. Anything lower than a 9 gives the hotel a 0. I wish they would allow you to change a score if the team corrects the issues. It seems once you are negative, the damage is done and hotels thoughts are, "Oh well, you already hit us, no reason to do anything" Seems like a flawed system that hurts the guest by not getting a resolution and hurts the hotel as they don't do anything to fix it.

I believe 8 still a good rate for the hotel, right?

Kacee Mar 9, 2019 3:21 pm

I don't get surveys any more (nine stays in 2019, zero surveys). Just one more sign Marriott corporate doesn't care about its customers' experiences.

With Hyatt, I still get surveys after every stay, even as mere Explorist, and typically get a personal reply from the property afterwards.

hockeyinsider Mar 9, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30867090)
I don't get surveys any more (nine stays in 2019, zero surveys). Just one more sign Marriott corporate doesn't care about its customers' experiences.

With Hyatt, I still get surveys after every stay, even as mere Explorist, and typically get a personal reply from the property afterwards.

IHG sends one out after every stay, too.

C17PSGR Mar 9, 2019 5:43 pm

Op -- how often are you getting these?

I haven't had one in a while although some hotels send pushes for TripAdvisor reviews.

I'd be very happy to get them with a focus on the Bonvoy program rather than fishing for a TripAdvisor review which are pretty useless to me.

geminidreams Mar 9, 2019 6:12 pm

I once scored a hotel as average and they wrote to me asking what was wrong. I said nothing was wrong, you did everything to an acceptable standard. These days you are meant to be really excited if you get what you pay for!

MePlatPremier Mar 9, 2019 6:12 pm

I’ve received 2 guest satisfaction surveys out of 9 stays since the merger.

Jaunts Mar 9, 2019 7:19 pm

I don't remember ever receiving a survey from Marriott, even when I had over 100 nights per year there. However, I get surveys from Hilton after every stay.