Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you fill out a Survey? Something I learned...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you fill out a Survey? Something I learned...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Rarely do I get one
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Wow, I just gave a hotel mostly 8's and it was a pretty good stay.

It was better than 80% of the Marriott's, therefore, it gets an "8".

Oops.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by calguy77
I've heard this as well. Anything lower than a 9 gives the hotel a 0. I wish they would allow you to change a score if the team corrects the issues. It seems once you are negative, the damage is done and hotels thoughts are, "Oh well, you already hit us, no reason to do anything" Seems like a flawed system that hurts the guest by not getting a resolution and hurts the hotel as they don't do anything to fix it.
I have seen the backend of these surveys and what is really true about the 9 and 10 scores is that hotels are ranked based on what percentage of respondents score a 9 or 10 for each category, so anything lower would not be counted in those rankings. Currently the two top questions in hotel rankings are about how likely the respondent is to recommend the properly and what is the overall satisfaction of the respondent. Scores of 9 and 10 on these questions are making up the top line of the back office rankings of properties.

However, apart from the top line results of those surveys, scores are actually counted at the exact value you have given so it is not as if a score of 8 is counted as 0. Sores of 6 ad below, however, are coded as red, 7 and 8 as yellow and 9 and 10 as green for every question.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:18 pm

0 surveys from 50 nights post merger.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I think there is an old thread about these surveys. My understanding is that if you really like a particular survey element, you need to give it a 9 or 10 for the hotel to benefit.
Sounds like NPS - Net Promoter Score - the consultants choice metric the last few years.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HB-IWC
I have seen the backend of these surveys and what is really true about the 9 and 10 scores is that hotels are ranked based on what percentage of respondents score a 9 or 10 for each category, so anything lower would not be counted in those rankings. Currently the two top questions in hotel rankings are about how likely the respondent is to recommend the properly and what is the overall satisfaction of the respondent. Scores of 9 and 10 on these questions are making up the top line of the back office rankings of properties.

However, apart from the top line results of those surveys, scores are actually counted at the exact value you have given so it is not as if a score of 8 is counted as 0. Sores of 6 ad below, however, are coded as red, 7 and 8 as yellow and 9 and 10 as green for every question.
To me, this is really bad survey methodology because getting a score of 7 or 8 isn't that bad on a scale of 10, especially if you're a frequent traveler and can tell the difference between an average (as in consistent) property and a good (as in exceptionally good) property.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Should just simplify the question and answer.

Say
Check in experience :
Good - Bad - So So

Then let guest explain

Elite benefit
Upgrade
Get upgraded - Didnt get upgraded

Late check out
4pm - Other - None

And so on
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I received a survey it was mostly saying was checkin better than expected, room better than expected..... I had stayed a week before so naturally everything was as expected whether compared to other places it was much better or worse.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I received a survey it was mostly saying was checkin better than expected, room better than expected.....
lol, same approach as the infamous UA/CO new coffee "survey":

The product in question (Fresh Brew) was, btw, among the vilest substances ever served on an aircraft.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Any thoughts?
I've always regarded hotel surveys a complete waste of time. They're something dreamt up by the marketing department to make you think they care. I've always found posting a review on TripAdvisor (positive or negative) at least brings a response
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by RTWFF; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Prior to the August loyalty program merger, I received a survey after each SPG stay. Since the merger, I've received one survey over 22 stays at both legacy Starwood and Marriott properties.

Originally Posted by dayone
I think there is an old thread about these surveys. My understanding is that if you really like a particular survey element, you need to give it a 9 or 10 for the hotel to benefit.
I've heard this as well. Anything lower than a 9 gives the hotel a 0. I wish they would allow you to change a score if the team corrects the issues. It seems once you are negative, the damage is done and hotels thoughts are, "Oh well, you already hit us, no reason to do anything" Seems like a flawed system that hurts the guest by not getting a resolution and hurts the hotel as they don't do anything to fix it.
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I believe 8 still a good rate for the hotel, right?
Apparently an "8" still equals a zero. I was told by a Marriott manager last month the property only receives credit for scores of "9" and "10".
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I just got my first Marriott stay survey since the merger - it was a bit of a shock to receive, after something like 100 stays without one!
TV guy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Earlier this week I got a survey for a stay last week. I still occasionally get the surveys; however, it is much less frequent than it used to be. Going back a few years I would get a survey after almost every stay. I haven't really precisely counted; however, my impression is I currently get surveys on less than %25 of my stays. It may be as little as %10 of my stays.

--Jon
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I didn't notice it until I hit this thread. It has been a while that I got one of those surveys. I used to fill them in when a stay was much better than usual or really bad (which I think I only had once or twice). Most of the time I let it pass.
I last had a hotel that asked me to share my experience on Marriott Insiders. The service in the hotel was great so I was happy to do that but to my surprise, I can't. I don't know why. I can read the reviews but can't share one. The hotel said that I should receive a mail after my stay with a link to share a review but I never received such an email.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Semi-related topic, I hate the whole anything less than 8 is a zero metric. Other companies are worse where anything less than 10 is a zero metric. If the object of the survey is truly to gather information and grade it on a 10 point scale, the acceptable rating criteria need to match. E.g. for me, anything is rarely a 10 or even a 9. A good property will be mainly an 8 with possibly some 9's or 7's. Okay property would be 7 and 8 with perhaps some 6's. Anything less than that is bad and it is a degree of how bad. Other people I am sure calibrate their ratings scale differently. If only 8, 9, and 10 are okay, than do a 3 or 4 point scale (e.g. below standards, barely meets minimum standard, fully meets standards and may exceed slightly, generally exceeds standards). The current metrics are crap and just gaming the system. E.g. so they can report high numeric ratings on websites.

So now you have a choice, either play along with the silly rating metrics or most likely hurt the properties unintentionally. Guess there is a third option, don't play. Of course than no information is conveyed. Off soapbox...

--Jon
DJ_Iceman and Twickenham like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.