Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott buying good publicity for Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott buying good publicity for Bonvoy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except real journalists don't accept free trips.
Sure they do. All the time.

Read Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc. - you think they pay for staying at 5* hotels in Europe for the release party of the new Ferrari, BMW, etc.?

No, they don't.

Do you think they buy the cars they test drive/review, or pay to rent them?

No, they don't.

The middle of February, even in Southern Italy, is perhaps an odd time to debut a new convertible supercar, but Ferrari had faith in their country's weather system and positioned the international media test drive of the new Ferrari Portofino in Puglia, located within the beautiful region of Bari.
The base for my time with the new Ferrari Portofino was at the sublime Borgo Egnazia Hotel. A 5 star white washed palace of opulence surrounded by manicured olive groves and - today at least - a selection of Ferraris to chose from!
Do you also think reviewers at CNet buys their own phone and other technology? That travel agents pay their own way to resorts? The reason Consumers Reports makes a big deal out of buying things they review and not acceptaing advertising/funding is because no one else does.
cyclefanatic83 likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
I am lifetime Titanium - do I get meals at Michelin restaurants and spa treatments and concerts? Guess I missed that part in the terms and conditions
If you can publish 2 articles in top-tier media outlets, then yes, you do.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Ultimately, is any of this really surprising??
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except this is very shady:

Except real journalists don't accept free trips.
This is very common practice across Asia. It is one of the few perks of being a member of a profession which is generally underappreciated and underpaid in this region.

Source: Was formerly a freelance writer for various "top-tier national outlets" in Southeast Asia, and was offered all sorts of free junkets.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Do "real" journalists take these trips?

Depends on your definition of real.

Where I work (automotive editor, big consumer print/digital) ....NFW. No freebies at all. We buy everything we test. Heck, we pay for the press samples that we borrow ....and never do a score or judgement on ANY press sample. They are just so we can get an early impression on the product.

We don't take the free trips. Like someone else said...R&T, C&D, et al ALL get flown around the world to "test" a car/SUV/truck. Now....they DO fly first class and DO get to stay in nice hotels. But those trips are in/out. Not like they fly to Germany and spend a week jerking around. But, still, they are hosted by the company whose products they are "reviewing/testing."

I know NYTimes is the same way as us. Not taking any freebies.

In a world where content is created by people being paid $25 per article, of COURSE the company/manufacturer is going to offer the trip and of COURSE the writer is going to go on them. And there blurs the world of advertising and journalism. My scuba diving instructor called it the Skin Diver effect -- EVERY review had a great flight, great transfer, best hotel, best dives EVER, best food, great drinks, perfect resort, top notch equipment. The superlatives flowed off the page like a waterfall. Today, rather than a printed article, it's an IG post with dozens of hashtags slobbering accolades about the experience/product/event/resort/equipment. It's really nauseating.

*rant over*
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I have 124 instagram followers, 80% my parents

do I have any hope to be invited ?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Dav77
I have 124 instagram followers, 80% my parents

do I have any hope to be invited ?
You have 99 parents, LOL
Dav77 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:27 pm

@jlinkov: I was in journalism some 20+ years ago. True journalism is very difficult to come by these days. I don't even think today's journalists know the difference between Op-ed and News, even at the major leagues. Occasionally I'll tune into news broadcasts from my old stomping grounds and what's coming out of the airwaves today would have been a fire-able offense when I was working there.

It was the same for us -- no freebies, especially on anything we were covering/reviewing.

I think the citizenry was a bit more intelligent back then and would have seen through any of that. Today's Instagram crowd? Not so much.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
You have 99 parents, LOL
If 124 was 80% of his parents, he'd have 155 parents. Even awesomer!
Dav77 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlinkov
Where I work (automotive editor, big consumer print/digital) ....NFW. No freebies at all. We buy everything we test
Yes, I noted CR as the exception to this rule. It's a bit of a stretch to say everyone else isn't "real".

I guess it's been up to the reader to decided whether DED, Brock, Alterman, Csaba, MacKenzie, Loh, Dyer, etc. are just a bunch of bribed hacks. If Chevy bribed Yates for his Chevette review, I don't think it worked.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 27, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Well, surprise surprise. It looks as if a blogger from The Points Guy just happened to be in Hong Kong around the same time as the highly publicized Marriott junket.

The blogger-in-question didn't stay at the hotel he lavishly praised. And I quote:

While my impressions are based on a two-hour pre-opening tour, I’m now even more eager to book a stay at this latest addition to the St. Regis brand.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/st-regis-hong-kong-tour/
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
TPG has about as much credibility as Arne at this point
estnet, KRSW and yurtripper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.