Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott outlines Sheraton’s European revitalision plans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Published recently in Business Traveller

Marriott outlines Sheraton’s European plans
&
The future of Sheraton

Marriott International has unveiled plans aimed at revitalising its Sheraton brand across Europe, with a series of refurbishments and new openings over the next five years.

A total of 15 Sheraton properties are currently undergoing renovation works across the continent, including hotels in the Polish cities of Sopot and Krakow, and ten new Sheraton properties are set to open in Europe over the next five years, bringing the brand’s European portfolio to over 70 hotels
Pearl of the piece is :

To this end the new Sheraton lobby design features communal tables allowing guests to “work, eat, drink and linger together or alone”, private sound-proof booths where guests can conduct phone and video calls, and a reimagined hotel café experience Coffee Bar Bar (no, that’s not a typo).

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 7, 2019 at 6:19 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Good to see the creative genius behind Bonvoy still has a role to play.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
"Coffee BonBon"

© me.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Coffee Coffee Bar Bar Coffee Bar
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Anything and everything
Talking

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Coffee Coffee Bar Bar Coffee Bar
Covfefe Bar sounds even better!

© me.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
They created the problem for themselves when they created the Sheraton Grand sub-brand. Now you know any Sheraton without Grand is a dump
CLEguy and jn in ca like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
They created the problem for themselves when they created the Sheraton Grand sub-brand. Now you know any Sheraton without Grand is a dump
I think we knew Sheratons were dumps long before the Grand sub-brand was created

Though to be fair, Sheratons ex-North America can be pretty nice.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:03 am

I think we knew Sheratons were dumps long before the Grand sub-brand was created

Though to be fair, Sheratons ex-North America can be pretty nice.
No kidding. I went to Japan in 2017, and stayed at both the Westin Sendai and the Sheraton Grand Hiroshima. The Sheraton Grand was much nicer than the Westin to my amazement, comparing only the basic rooms.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I saw the thread title and was prepared to offer my U.S. airport Sheraton revitalization plan: It starts with a wrecking ball. Underinvestment going back to the mid-80s.
KRSW and ryw like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond Elite, United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite/LT Platinum
Anyone know which six Sheratons were struck from the rolls? Were they demoted to some other brand or did they leave Marriott entirely?

Last edited by LostInTranslation; Mar 8, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I saw the thread title and was prepared to offer my U.S. airport Sheraton revitalization plan: It starts with a wrecking ball. Underinvestment going back to the mid-80s.
You beat me to it. I was going to say that any plan which doesn't involve a bulldozer is destined to fail. To me, Sheraton still means 1970s dump of a property with low ceilings, moldy/noisy AC, worn furniture, decades of neglect to the physical plant.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Big fan of the Sheraton brand so happy to hear this. The daily rate is fine and competing and the locations are very often very good.
​​​​​​To be honest there are two brands that I want to see more of especially in Europe, Sheraton and Westin. Westin's presence in Europe is awful and needs to improve much better.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
I gotta tell you that I've stayed at many Sheraton hotels that were quite nice to decent--not dumps. And no Grand designation!

Examples include the Sheraton Commander Cambridge, Sheraton Boston, Sheraton Hartford South, Sheraton Philadelphia Univ City, Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill, Sheraton SF Fisherman's Wharf, Sheraton Hanover Pelikan, Sheraton NYC Tribeca, Sheraton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside, Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown, Sheraton Charlotte, & Sheraton Charlotte Airport.

I like the Grand designation, as it showcases some of the best Sheratons. And they usually are located in urban centers. But I find the above "regular" Sheratons to be solid to occasionally outstanding, too.

Either way, I'm happy to see Sheraton moving to improve its properties and expand its footprint in Europe.
unclepants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I tend to agree that many Sheratons outside the US aren’t bad at all. Even a few Luxury Collection hotels started their life as Sheratons back in the day (for instance The Laguna Bali which started as the Sheraton Laguna in the early nineties...). In the US, it‘s another story.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Coffee Bar Bar™️ By BonBonvoy
Oxon Flyer and MaldivesFreak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.