Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer staying at legacy SPG brand or Marriott?

Do you prefer staying at legacy SPG brand or Marriott?

Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
They never did...
Oh they absolutely did. You can find the thread on that. For me, it was The Nines in Portland, where I had lounge access just a month prior and then after Aug no more.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Let's be honest, both groups have their high and low points. While there are a few nice properties here and there, I already avoided a lot of (domestic) Four Points and Sheraton properties before the merger -- and frankly have been glad to now have Marriott alternatives in some cases.

On the Marriott side, I have been impressed by a high percentage of the Renaissances I've stayed in -- but have never once been wowed by a (standard) Marriott.

For business travel, the consistency of a lot of suburban Marriott offerings is appealing, though I've had some rough experiences in urban (renovated) properties.

For vacation, though -- hands down, SPG properties have an advantage. Ritz-Carlton holds very little appeal -- it feels like my grandmother's idea of a nice hotel, and I haven't seen Marriott make much effort to modernize it. And very few FS Marriott / Marriott Resort / MVC properties seem aspirational at all. By contrast, a lot of international Sheraton properties have a lot of personality, and Westin / LeM / W tend to be luxurious but modern.

I also am firmly in the "lounge ambivalent" camp, which I think limits a lot of the appeal of traditional Marriott properties. I always prefer a restaurant breakfast on vacation -- and typically the last thing I want to do on any trip is sit around a hotel lounge. If a lounge has good food and beverage offerings, it's a nice treat, but I'm apt to take a plate back to my room.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Oh they absolutely did. You can find the thread on that. For me, it was The Nines in Portland, where I had lounge access just a month prior and then after Aug no more.
Lounge access as an Elite benefit was never, ever a brand standard at LC properties. Beyond corporate loyalty policy, hotels can grant access to their lounges to whomever they want, as they can still do.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Starwood! I was loyal to SPG 100% and never ever every stayed at a Marriott brand. Don’t plan on staying at mariott trashy hotels. Who want to stay at those 2 star hotels that Marriott’s. Courtyards, Spring Hills, Fairfield, residential inns are just gross.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
Starwood! I was loyal to SPG 100% and never ever every stayed at a Marriott brand. Don’t plan on staying at mariott trashy hotels. Who want to stay at those 2 star hotels that Marriott’s. Courtyards, Spring Hills, Fairfield, residential inns are just gross.
I have stayed at plenty of nice Courtyards and Residence Inns over the years. In many urban cities (or areas within cities), they can be well located and newly built. In suburban or secondary cities, they are often the nicest hotels available (and can be significantly better than the local, run down Marriott, Sheraton or Hilton).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
For work, my choice is dictated by location and price. I do prefer Westin because I have a Heavenly Bed at home.

For personal travel, I choose where I want to stay. It may happen to be a Starwood or Marriott or something else.

My last family trip was to New Orleans and we stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It was cheaper to stay there compared to legacy Starwood properties.

We stayed at the JW Essex House in NYC over Thanksgiving because it was on the Macy’s Parade route & the hotel offered an indoor viewing breakfast package.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dtremit
On the Marriott side, I have been impressed by a high percentage of the Renaissances I've stayed in -- but have never once been wowed by a (standard) Marriott.
I do tend to agree with the caveat that renovated Marriotts do wow me. I really like the redesigned rooms, especially the bathrooms, and being able to have a large, SmarTV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.