Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Titanium Elite, but no soft landing (yet) to Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

i didnt meet the minimum stay to re-qualify, and was expecting to soft land to Plat

am i just lucky?

I dont want to call to ask because I am afraid if its a mistake, someone would catch it and demote me on the spot
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by caseminole
i didnt meet the minimum stay to re-qualify, and was expecting to soft land to Plat

am i just lucky?

I dont want to call to ask because I am afraid if its a mistake, someone would catch it and demote me on the spot
I don't know what you are trying to achieve..Are you demoted to gold?

What do you have to lose? If you are already demoted, might as well call and ask for a soft landing to plat..
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I gather that OP is sitting on Titanium status today even after failing to qualify for 2019 in 2018. There've been recent reports of weekend account adjustment activity, likely taking place in batches (as per Marriott IT's MO), so I wouldn't celebrate too early. In all likelihood you'll get whatever status you earned in 2018 or, if you're lucky, you'll soft land to Plat. And enjoy it in the mean time!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I gather that OP is sitting on Titanium status today even after failing to qualify for 2019 in 2018. There've been recent reports of weekend account adjustment activity, likely taking place in batches (as per Marriott IT's MO), so I wouldn't celebrate too early. In all likelihood you'll get whatever status you earned in 2018 or, if you're lucky, you'll soft land to Plat. And enjoy it in the mean time!
Exactly.... I thought i was going to be Platinum. I'm Gold because of my AmEx Platinum.

In the meantime, United awarded me Silver Elite already.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Exactly.... I thought i was going to be Platinum. I'm Gold because of my AmEx Platinum.

In the meantime, United awarded me Silver Elite already.
How many elite qualifying nights did you have in 2018?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm in the same spot. Only about 53 nights last year, but my status is still showing as Titanium. That would be a nice soft landing. Even if it only lasts through my two trips next week, I'll consider it a bonus.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm in the same spot. Only about 53 nights last year, but my status is still showing as Titanium. That would be a nice soft landing. Even if it only lasts through my two trips next week, I'll consider it a bonus.
In previous years, they used to comp the legacy platinum status if you were close to 75 nights. There were some criteria - like you had been legacy Platinum for 3 years, etc. This could be the case again. But I also read one FTer who had 55 nights got downgraded over the weekend. The OP already got status matched to UA Silver so it’s very likely he/she was awarded the Titanium status for 2019.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JBord
Did you log these all to former Starwood or Marriott acct? Wasn't 2018 calculated according to original program rules, so if you qualified for SPG Plat in 2018 according to SPG rules you should be Titanium?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by naumank

How many elite qualifying nights did you have in 2018?
<10
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:24 pm

<10
Then there is a good chance that another downgrade script will take place sometime soon.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Same here, only have 50 SPG nights last year. Still show Titanium. I’ll take the extra year for free
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by naumank

In previous years, they used to comp the legacy platinum status if you were close to 75 nights. There were some criteria - like you had been legacy Platinum for 3 years, etc. This could be the case again. But I also read one FTer who had 55 nights got downgraded over the weekend. The OP already got status matched to UA Silver so it’s very likely he/she was awarded the Titanium status for 2019.
That's from the legacy MR side. Legacy SPG was quite strict about people needing to satisfy the requirements; in general, close wasn't good enough and there weren't soft landings.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
I have a slightly different problem, but didn't know where to ask other than here: I was Platinum and I specifically called the Platinum line when the after the Bonvoy date(s) were announced for 5-Mar, etc. probably in February as we were booking our honeymoon to confirm that I would remain Platinum for the rest of the year, even after the change-over and was assured I'd have it "through the end of the year." I would very likely be challenged for maintaining status this year, but it affected honeymoon decisions...

Naturally, I booked W Maldives with points advance, which increases in value due to free breakfast from Platinum status and the add'l % discount on food/beverage -- the points advance I understood was a common problem and fixable (60K -> 85K / night)... however, I'm not sure necessarily how, or if, the other problem can be fixed?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's from the legacy MR side. Legacy SPG was quite strict about people needing to satisfy the requirements; in general, close wasn't good enough and there weren't soft landings.
Understood. But my understanding is the new Bonvoy program is a Marriott program, since it was Marriott that acquired SPG.. So the practice of giving out Platinum Lite may still be in play. Nobody knows for sure, as there has been zero communication from Marriott.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Did you log these all to former Starwood or Marriott acct? Wasn't 2018 calculated according to original program rules, so if you qualified for SPG Plat in 2018 according to SPG rules you should be Titanium?
All credited to Marriott. Today I looked and I'm Platinum Premier in the app, so I assume some kind of process is running that will move me to Platinum. I guess I'm now in a status that no longer exists. But my LT Plat still shows correctly so I assume I'll be fine for upcoming stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.