FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Company Credit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1959400-company-credit-card.html)

Marriott15 Mar 4, 2019 10:34 pm

Company Credit Card

So I currently have my company credit card which is the American Express Green Business Rewards card. I don't pay any annual fees for it my company does.

I saw that they have the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card now.

The per year annual fee is $95 it looks like for both years.

So my question is and I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Can I just call up American Express and change my company credit card from my current one to the Marriott Bonvoy if it is the same price? Or will I have to get someone from my company to do that since I don't pay the annual fee?

None Marriott question but am I supposed to be getting benefits from my green card?

mysterym Mar 5, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30849054)
So I currently have my company credit card which is the American Express Green Business Rewards card. I don't pay any annual fees for it my company does.

So my question is and I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Can I just call up American Express and change my company credit card from my current one to the Marriott Bonvoy if it is the same price? Or will I have to get someone from my company to do that since I don't pay the annual fee?

None Marriott question but am I supposed to be getting benefits from my green card?

Unlikely

I have only ever seen some companies issue or allow upgrades to Plat and Black from Green. It all depends on the agreement your company has with Amex. Typically high level executives and board members will be the only ones that can get their hands on Black if its even an option.

Repooc17 Mar 5, 2019 6:51 am

What's the intent here even if it is possible? Any points earned would stay with the company account.

mysterym Mar 5, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30850146)
What's the intent here even if it is possible? Any points earned would stay with the company account.

Most corporate cards allow the employee to keep the points. I accumulated hundreds of thousands of points from my corporate card usage

PTahCha Mar 5, 2019 7:38 am

It depends on the contract your employer has with Amex. For most contracts, it has to be a charge card (Green/Gold/Plat/Black) and not a credit card. My guess the answer is no.

RogerD408 Mar 5, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30849054)

First question I have is this a company-paid card or are they waiving the annual fee and you settle the bill each month? If company-paid, I would presume it would take someone at the company to initiate such a change. And, as stated above, I would presume different departments handle the charge cards vs the credit cards, so that could be a roadblock as well. Check with your office and see if they have any issues with making the change and see who needs to do what.

Centurion Mar 5, 2019 9:45 am

No no and no

Marriott15 Mar 5, 2019 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30850689)
First question I have is this a company-paid card or are they waiving the annual fee and you settle the bill each month? If company-paid, I would presume it would take someone at the company to initiate such a change. And, as stated above, I would presume different departments handle the charge cards vs the credit cards, so that could be a roadblock as well. Check with your office and see if they have any issues with making the change and see who needs to do what.

Appreciate everyone's advice. My main goal out of this is to get the points. I wanted to post this first before I contact my company to see if anyone had experience with this.

I have no idea if American Express is waiving the annual fee. I do know of one person in my company that pays the $95 dollars for the green card out of her pocket to get the benefits/points of this card.

Each expense report I have to submit the bill to my company and the company pays my credit card off for me. No idea how they do that.

cfischer Mar 6, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mysterym (Post 30850248)
Most corporate cards allow the employee to keep the points. I accumulated hundreds of thousands of points from my corporate card usage

Most? Are you sure? Mine stopped allowing MR points 10+ years ago and I know many others where the negotiated contracts with Amex do not allow for any MR point accumulation.

mysterym Mar 6, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30854848)
Most? Are you sure? Mine stopped allowing MR points 10+ years ago and I know many others where the negotiated contracts with Amex do not allow for any MR point accumulation.

I have friends that work across most of the Fortune 500 and yes, most that use Amex let you keep the points but some times you do have to pay a fee or ask for an exception to be able to. Easy math to see if its worth it - for me I think it was $75 a year and I got on average 100k points per year based on my corporate spend.

Often1 Mar 6, 2019 1:48 pm

For the OP - This is a question for your employer. Somebody at your employer administers its contract with Amex and can answer your questions. The worst resolution is that Amex does this for you and it is not what your company wants done. What some other random person at some other random company does or does not do has zero relevance to your employer.

Jaunts Mar 6, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30853250)
Appreciate everyone's advice. My main goal out of this is to get the points. I wanted to post this first before I contact my company to see if anyone had experience with this.

I have no idea if American Express is waiving the annual fee. I do know of one person in my company that pays the $95 dollars for the green card out of her pocket to get the benefits/points of this card.

Each expense report I have to submit the bill to my company and the company pays my credit card off for me. No idea how they do that.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30855751)
For the OP - This is a question for your employer. Somebody at your employer administers its contract with Amex and can answer your questions. The worst resolution is that Amex does this for you and it is not what your company wants done. What some other random person at some other random company does or does not do has zero relevance to your employer.

I agree with Often1. I work for a small business, and my boss owns the company. My business card is a rewards card, and he keeps the points for himself. If the Amex is a Marriott Bonvoy Business card, then someone at your company is getting the Marriott points. That person might get annoyed if you decided to put your own Bonvoy number on the card.

Some things are more important than the points game. Keeping on the good side of a boss or company owner is one of those things. :cool: