Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 1 night cert "stolen" from me--Help

Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Back in August, I had 2 1-night Certs and a 1 week cert in my account. I was trying to make a 6 night rez at a level 4 hotel, and the rez clerk said she knew how to apply the 1 week cert (despite the embargo, which I though may have been lifting). Well, she ended up using one of my 1 night certs and 70k points (which included one night free. This isn't what I wanted, so I cancelled the rez, and got back the 70k points. But the 1 night cert never was returned. I've been going back and forth (mostly forth) with SPG call center in Ontario, but they say that there is no record of me having another cert, despite me sending them a copy of the 6 night rez which used 70k points (and shows evidence of the cert being used, with a partial cert number). In addition, there's no way a 6 night rez could be made for 70k points (17.5k x 4 =70k, with 5th night free).

The last correspondence from the SPG call center was over 2 weeks ago. I have been polite but firm.

Any suggestions as to how to get the cert back?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:55 pm

There is no more SPG. You need to call and have them research the old system if your certificate was ex-Marriott if you get an ex-SPG agent. If your certificate was an ex-SPG issued certificate, then I dont know. You email confirmation should have the certificate number issued. Go backwards from there.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I think this is a lesson learned. Take screen shots before you do any redemptions for proof. Unfortunately I don’t think you have any recourse here and will probably need to take this one on the chin...

sorry

Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Compile all of your evidence together and send it to the Bonvoy Lurker. That is probably your best chance. Good luck!

[email protected]
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:16 am

I had the exact same issue !

Originally Posted by jeanie
Compile all of your evidence together and send it to the Bonvoy Lurker. That is probably your best chance. Good luck!

[email protected]
i thought I was unlucky but I guess I am not the only one.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Amitbe11
i thought I was unlucky but I guess I am not the only one.
what did you do????
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
what did you do????
I cancled the reservation which had a certificate attached to. I did it on the phone with a customer service agent to make sure my certificate will not disappear.
From that point , have never seen my certificate again.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Amitbe11
I cancled the reservation which had a certificate attached to. I did it on the phone with a customer service agent to make sure my certificate will not disappear.
From that point , have never seen my certificate again.
i meant did you do anything to get the cert back????
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i meant did you do anything to get the cert back????
i tried emailing , I tried calling customer service,m but as I said , I never seen my certificate back.

I did receive an email back from customer service after two month saying the following:
I hope your issue got resolved , thank you for being a loyal member..
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Another "I thought I was the only one" contribution. I had a 1-night certificate attached to a reservation that I had to cancel. The certificate was not returned to my account. I currently have 5 open case numbers with Marriott CS, including three involving this issue. I try to be a "glass half full" person and was hoping they'd sort it out eventually. Unfortunately the cert was one from the now-defunct Canadian Marriott VISA, which no one in telephone CS seems to be familiar with, so they always tell me to email about it. I've also had points fail to credit back on reservations modified to paid stays, but have basically given up on these. Having the certificate back before it expires would be nice however. I will try some of the points suggested above.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I think this is a lesson learned. Take screen shots before you do any redemptions for proof. Unfortunately I dont think you have any recourse here and will probably need to take this one on the chin...

sorry

Screen shots are a very good idea, but I can tell you for a fact that they mean nothing. I lost several thousand points on a reservation changed from award to paid and had screen shots of my account balance from before and after. CS initially agreed with me and said the points would be credited, but when they weren't after several days I opened another case with screen shots as support. A second agent said that I made several reservations within the same timeframe so "must have" used the points for another reservation before they were returned to my account. The listed activity did not support this, but it was case closed. I since opened another case to pursue this, but have heard nothing and telephone CS refuse to get involved in a case opened by email, and of course you can't show them screen shots.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:09 pm

I wanted to move 2 free night certificates from a reservation at a category 4 hotel to a different stay at a category 5 hotel a few months ago. So to avoid calling customer service, I cancelled the first reservation with the 2 certificates, and then waited for the certificates to come back to my account. This usually happens immediately, but an hour later, they weren't there. I must have gotten lucky, because when I called the platinum line, I got an agent that knew exactly what had happened.

I was told that after one of the December updates, the way certificates are handled within Marriott has changed. Specifically, the certificate is sent to the hotel immediately upon booking now. So when a reservation is cancelled that uses cc free night certificates, the hotel has to manually release the certificates in order for them to go back into my account.

The agent called the hotel for me. Luckily, it was still normal business hours for the hotel in question. After about 10 or 15 minutes on hold, she said that the certificates had been released by the hotel, and they should be visible on my online account. So while she was still on the phone, I logged out of my account, and then logged back in. Sure enough, the two certificates were there (1 - cc cert and 1 - PP 40K cert).

While she was still on the phone, I booked the two nights for the category 5 hotel I wanted to use the certs for online. It all worked out.

I know that we hear different stories from different agents. But from what she told me, the safest way to cancel reservations with certificates attached is to call the hotel or customer service so that the certificate can be manually released and put back into the account.
Happy and Keyser like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

This sounds like great advice. Obviously the key is getting a knowledgeable agent. Both my phone contacts with CS were rebuffed - one quite politely after 45 minutes on hold; the other a much shorter wait with a much more curt response. On both occasions I was instructed to email my problems.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
This sounds like great advice. Obviously the key is getting a knowledgeable agent. Both my phone contacts with CS were rebuffed - one quite politely after 45 minutes on hold; the other a much shorter wait with a much more curt response. On both occasions I was instructed to email my problems.
Your other option might be to call the hotel directly to try to get them to release the certificate back to you. However, it might be difficult to find someone at the hotel who knows about this new policy.. I think the agent I spoke with said she had to speak with accounting in the hotel. The GM might be able to help as well. It would probably be best to call them during business hours.

Good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Just happened to me on Friday. I canceled a stay that had been booked with a one night cert and no cert has been put back in my account. I figured I would leave it overnight but it is now two days later and nada. I want to rebook so this is a real PITA, especially if they are going to refuse to fix it. Yes, I have screenshots of everything but it sounds like that isn’t going to make any difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.