FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   First time booking at Marriott, price change after confirmation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1958302-first-time-booking-marriott-price-change-after-confirmation.html)

HOLYMOLEAIR Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm

First time booking at Marriott, price change after confirmation

Hi all,

This is my first time booking at a Marriott property. I had checked property prices at New York City, and stumbled across this "good deal" at 2 nights for around 300~ dollars. Booked through the official Marriott website, and received a confirmation email with price $300~. Today I woke up to see in my mailbox another confirmation email of the same booking from Marriott, at a price $600~. Just wanted to know are hotels allowed to change prices after issuing a booking confimation.

Thank you for your help in advance! Sorry if there is a better location for this thread, moderators please feel free to move this thread elsewhere as needed.

HolyMoleAir

CLEguy Feb 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30825189)
Hi all,

This is my first time booking at a Marriott property. I had checked property prices at New York City, and stumbled across this "good deal" at 2 nights for around 300~ dollars. Booked through the official Marriott website, and received a confirmation email with price $300~. Today I woke up to see in my mailbox another confirmation email of the same booking from Marriott, at a price $600~. Just wanted to know are hotels allowed to change prices after issuing a booking confimation.

Thank you for your help in advance! Sorry if there is a better location for this thread, moderators please feel free to move this thread elsewhere as needed.

HolyMoleAir

Cast "summon Lurker" spell

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30825189)
Hi all,

HolyMoleAir

We would be glad to open a case with the property and check into this if you would send us the details (confirmation number, name of hotel, etc.).

HOLYMOLEAIR Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Thought it might be useful to FTers in the same situation in the future:

Received an email from Revenue Management explaining that the fare for the second night is a mistake, hence the second email confirmation at the original "correct" price. Wouldn't bulge and demanded the full price or cancellation without charge. My case might be a good data point for those who come across surprisingly good fares with Marriott in the future.

EuropeanPete Feb 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30833152)

Received an email from Revenue Management explaining that the fare for the second night is a mistake, hence the second email confirmation at the original "correct" price. Wouldn't bulge and demanded the full price or cancellation without charge. My case might be a good data point for those who come across surprisingly good fares with Marriott in the future.

Is that response legal in your relevant political area? It's often not, as conduct of commercial accommodation providers is often pretty heavily regulated.

This is another example of astonishingly anti-customer behavior. Brazen and probably ok in the short term, but this is going to catch up with them one day.

Jaunts Feb 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30833152)

It would be one thing if the mistaken rate was $3 instead of $300. A $3 rate would obviously be an error on their part. In this case, I could see the customer believing that $300 was a real rate. So they should have honored it.

I have wondered what would happen in a situation where the customer agreed to the mistaken rate, and spent additional money on airfare, etc. based on that agreement. I could see a scenario where a tourist was looking for a good deal, and after booking the hotel, he/she would go ahead and book other arrangements for the trip as well that might not be refundable. It's not fair that they waited for several days before notifying you.

Antarius Feb 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jaunts (Post 30833345)
It would be one thing if the mistaken rate was $3 instead of $300. A $3 rate would obviously be an error on there part. In this case, I could see the customer believing that $300 was a real rate. So they should have honored it.

I have wondered what would happen in a situation where the customer agreed to the mistaken rate, and spent additional money on airfare, etc. based on that agreement. I could see a scenario where a tourist was looking for a good deal, and after booking the hotel, he/she would go ahead and book other arrangements for the trip as well that might not be refundable. It's not fair that they waited for several days before notifying you.

Especially given that it is a multi night stay. 300 is believable for NYC - I stayed at the Lexington 3 weeks ago for 90 bucks (plus tax and stuff).

I would call back or write back and escalate it.

SkiAdcock Feb 28, 2019 5:48 pm

With 2 nights at $300, it's not a 'mistake' rate (aka, $3 rate), so they can go pound sand w/ their $600 IMO.

To the OP - my recommendation (and I speak only for myself) would be to email back Rev Mgmt & tell them to honor the originally booked rate or the New York Attorney General as well as the media will be contacted. Don't back down on this.**

BTW - don't know if the OP did this or not, but whenever I book a (fill in the hotel chain) reservation I immediately put the email confirmation into a folder on my computer, so that if the (fill in the hotel chain) tries stuff like this/changes the online reservation I have written proof of what was originally booked.

**Unless it is the $3 mistake rate from a few weeks ago/less of a leg to stand on. $3 obviously a mistake. But if it's $300, then full sail ahead as $300 can be reasonable/considered valid for NYC.

Cheers.

HOLYMOLEAIR Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30833259)
Is that response legal in your relevant political area? It's often not, as conduct of commercial accommodation providers is often pretty heavily regulated.

This is another example of astonishingly anti-customer behavior. Brazen and probably ok in the short term, but this is going to catch up with them one day.

I am based in the UK, but not particularly aware of any laws regulated pricing of services?

Originally Posted by Jaunts (Post 30833345)
It would be one thing if the mistaken rate was $3 instead of $300. A $3 rate would obviously be an error on their part. In this case, I could see the customer believing that $300 was a real rate. So they should have honored it.

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30833381)
Especially given that it is a multi night stay. 300 is believable for NYC - I stayed at the Lexington 3 weeks ago for 90 bucks (plus tax and stuff).

I would call back or write back and escalate it.

escalated and wrote back, same answer - cancel or suck it up

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30833409)
With 2 nights at $300, it's not a 'mistake' rate (aka, $3 rate), so they can go pound sand w/ their $600 IMO.

To the OP - my recommendation (and I speak only for myself) would be to email back Rev Mgmt & tell them to honor the originally booked rate or the New York Attorney General as well as the media will be contacted. Don't back down on this.**

BTW - don't know if the OP did this or not, but whenever I book a (fill in the hotel chain) reservation I immediately put the email confirmation into a folder on my computer, so that if the (fill in the hotel chain) tries stuff like this/changes the online reservation I have written proof of what was originally booked.

**Unless it is the $3 mistake rate from a few weeks ago/less of a leg to stand on. $3 obviously a mistake. But if it's $300, then full sail ahead as $300 can be reasonable/considered valid for NYC.

Cheers.

Sorry I just realised I didn't put the breakdown of the nights here, one is $24x, one is $14, with a total of $3xx shown to me at booking I would have thought it is a book two night and save offer or the likes of it.

SkiAdcock Feb 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30833441)

Sorry I just realised I didn't put the breakdown of the nights here, one is $24x, one is $14, with a total of $3xx shown to me at booking I would have thought it is a book two night and save offer or the likes of it.

That one can go either way. I originally thought it was $150/night & they were trying to change it to $300//night. Try to escalate given your rationale, but also have a back-up plan in case they continue to dig in their heels.

Cheers.

Antarius Feb 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30833475)
That one can go either way. I originally thought it was $150/night & they were trying to change it to $300//night. Try to escalate given your rationale, but also have a back-up plan in case they continue to dig in their heels.

Cheers.

Still. I don't look at my nightly breakdown very closely unless something crazy comes up. If the total is in line with what I was expecting, I book. If the total came back as 14 USD or 1400 USD, I likely will investigate, but at 300 odd, unlikely.

300 for 2 nights is possible. I stayed at the JW Marriott Essex House once for ~170 a night.

Marriott should own this. I'd complain to the NY Dept of Consumer Affairs.

§ 20-701. Definitions. a. Deceptive trade practice. Any false, falsely disparaging, or misleading oral or written statement, visual description or other representation of any kind made in connection with the sale, lease, rental or loan or in connection with the offering for sale, lease, rental, or loan of consumer goods or services, or in the extension of consumer credit or in the collection of consumer debts, which has the capacity, tendency or effect of deceiving or misleading consumers.

HOLYMOLEAIR Feb 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30833475)

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30833493)
Still. I don't look at my nightly breakdown very closely unless something crazy comes up. If the total is in line with what I was expecting, I book. If the total came back as 14 USD or 1400 USD, I likely will investigate, but at 300 odd, unlikely.

300 for 2 nights is possible. I stayed at the JW Marriott Essex House once for ~170 a night.

Marriott should own this. I'd complain to the NY Dept of Consumer Affairs.

Have been calling Bonvoy CS, agents are just misleading and even blatantly lying at times - they would claim the first price is for one night only and the second email is the total sum blablabla... All escalation attempts end with a case reference, which nobody actually follow up. Guy from RM was having none of my rationale - 15% discount or cancel, and they've been quoting the policy in Marriott with errors in systems and the like.

platbrownguy Feb 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30833529)
Have been calling Bonvoy CS, agents are just misleading and even blatantly lying at times - they would claim the first price is for one night only and the second email is the total sum blablabla... All escalation attempts end with a case reference, which nobody actually follow up. Guy from RM was having none of my rationale - 15% discount or cancel, and they've been quoting the policy in Marriott with errors in systems and the like.

The NYC Consumer Affairs form is very simple looking and has "complete the contract terms" as an option -- https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dca/down...rm-English.pdf

Looks like contract disputes with hotels are within the ambit of the department's affairs: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dca/down...ferralList.pdf

You can fill out the form online. I certainly would: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consum...complaint.page

Who knows what will happen but I played this card in Virginia with a Westin and it was the only thing that got the property to refund me after double-charging me.

SkiAdcock Feb 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR (Post 30833529)

You need to come up w/ a back-up plan at this point. Whether right or wrong, if the property is sticking to the ante up (less 15%) or cancel, those are your options. So unless you're willing to ante up $600, (less 15%) get Plan B in place while you argue Plan A.

You've been dealing directly w/ the RevMgmt guy - don't really think a generic cust svc agent is going to override the RevMgmt mgr. Bonvoy c.s. is stuck n the middle at this point.

When I thought it was $150/$150 I figured you'd get the property to suck it up. $3 error not at all. $240/$14 isn't a slam dunk on your end or their end. But Rev Mgmt is playing hardball, so you have to decide to a) pay the amount they've said w/ their 15% discount; b) book somewhere else; c) contact the appropriate authorities & plead your case (link above), hoping it's resolved before your upcoming stay

BTW - unless I missed something, you have yet to name the property. Which one is it?

Cheers.

HOLYMOLEAIR Mar 1, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 30833960)
The NYC Consumer Affairs form is very simple looking and has "complete the contract terms" as an option -- https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dca/down...rm-English.pdf

Looks like contract disputes with hotels are within the ambit of the department's affairs: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dca/down...ferralList.pdf

You can fill out the form online. I certainly would: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consum...complaint.page

Who knows what will happen but I played this card in Virginia with a Westin and it was the only thing that got the property to refund me after double-charging me.

Thanks @platbrownguy, have filed a complaint.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30833961)
You need to come up w/ a back-up plan at this point. Whether right or wrong, if the property is sticking to the ante up (less 15%) or cancel, those are your options. So unless you're willing to ante up $600, (less 15%) get Plan B in place while you argue Plan A.

And enough w/ the Bonvoy agents. You've been dealing directly w/ the RevMgmt guy - do you really think a generic cust svc agent is going to override the RevMgmt mgr? You're just putting Bonvoy c.s. in the middle at this point.

When I thought it was $150/$150 I figured you'd get the property to suck it up. $3 error not at all. $240/$14 isn't a slam dunk on your end or their end. But Rev Mgmt is playing hardball, so you have to decide to a) pay the amount they've said w/ their 15% discount; b) book somewhere else; c) contact the appropriate authorities & plead your case (link above), hoping it's resolved before your upcoming stay

BTW - unless I missed something, you have yet to name the property. Which one is it?

Cheers.

I've booked somewhere else in fact, with a complaint filed. RevMgmt is not offering anything lower than the 15% off offer. The property is Courtyard by Marriott, WTC.

And I found quite a good deal ($13x per night) for my dates somewhere else so will drop this if I'm not getting anywhere.