Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Trump checks into JW Marriott Hanoi, Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump checks into JW Marriott Hanoi, Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:49 am
xar
Original Poster

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Talking Trump checks into JW Marriott Hanoi, Vietnam

Do you think he got an upgrade?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't there a better hotel in Hanoi?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Wait, you're telling me there's no Trump Tower in Hanoi?
allset2travel, brp1264 and tdcao like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Wait, you're telling me there's no Trump Tower in Hanoi?
Not yet......but doesn't the Prresidential travel policy specify a whole floor at a StR, RC, or something similar, of course including the Presidential suite, USA chains only of course?

It would be fun if someone from FT were staying here not or alternatively had had a reservation and were displaced or walked for the President. [I once almost lost a hotel room reservation for Hillary, but it wasn't a Starriott property.]
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IC Landmark 72, may be. But JW layout allows to block the whole floor, while in IC it's impossible.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Who serves the best cheeseburger in Hanoi? Is that the JW?
lrbenko and brp1264 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:26 am

Do we know where Kim is staying?

OT, but why did he come by train, presumably his own train coming down through mainland China? Didn't he fly to Singapore?
Pocatello likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Do we know where Kim is staying?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Guess they have an omelette bar...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Guess they have an omelette bar...
I hope they stocked up on ketchup.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
OT, but why did he come by train, presumably his own train coming down through mainland China? Didn't he fly to Singapore?
(Communist) China is Kim's friend. Kim taking the train through China gives him publicity for days. Having the meet in Vietnam is also symbolic as it's a Communist state that had beaten US military might. Vietnam can also showcase their tall new buildings as a sign of progress to the entire world.

Ok, back to topic. Of course Trump gets an upgrade. And bonus elite points. Wonder what kind of rate he is charged for the rooms for his entourage.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Yea, the Hanoi Hilton. Many of our service men stayed there during the war including Senator McCain.

I can't think of a better Hanoi hotel for Trump to stay at.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Feb 26, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Not yet......but doesn't the Prresidential travel policy specify a whole floor at a StR, RC, or something similar, of course including the Presidential suite, USA chains only of course?

It would be fun if someone from FT were staying here not or alternatively had had a reservation and were displaced or walked for the President. [I once almost lost a hotel room reservation for Hillary, but it wasn't a Starriott property.]
Presidents have stayed at a Holiday Inn over a luxury hotel because the Secret Service has certain requirements, including:

The advance team scouts the hotel facilities and assesses security needs — and also makes sure that there will be enough parking for the presidential motorcade, which can consist of up to 40 cars. (There’s no valet for parking for these vehicles, some of which may look slick, but have military-grade armor.)

Presidents usually arrive near side or rear entrances under heavy security, with the armored limo driving into a large white tent designed to hide them for the short walk into the hotel. They generally use service elevators to get to their floor. The government books the entire floor for the traveling staff, and sometimes reserves the floors above and below the president’s for security reasons.
The above quote is from a must-read Yahoo! news article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/from-the-...432036251.html
specboi and tdcao like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The above quote is from a must-read Yahoo! news article:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/from-the-...432036251.html
Thanks for the interesting read, it's a little more complicated that organizing a family reunion of my relatives!

I saw in the news that restaurants that face the hotel were ordered to close for six days, with grumbling from the workers at the shuttered eateries.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed at that hotel. It is great. It also is great from a security standpoint. I agree with his choice.
fotographer and barracuda93 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.