Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Trump checks into JW Marriott Hanoi, Vietnam

Trump checks into JW Marriott Hanoi, Vietnam

Old Feb 26, 19, 3:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, UA Gold, Stariott Plat., HH Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do we know where Kim is staying?

OT, but why did he come by train, presumably his own train coming down through mainland China? Didn't he fly to Singapore?
CNN was saying a while back that Kim is actually afraid of flying, so he prefers doing it by train instead.
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic View Post
CNN was saying a while back that Kim is actually afraid of flying, so he prefers doing it by train instead.
Maybe he's afraid of flying on his North Korean airline.
Old Feb 26, 19, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat

It would be fun if someone from FT were staying here not or alternatively had had a reservation and were displaced or walked for the President. [I once almost lost a hotel room reservation for Hillary, but it wasn't a Starriott property.]
No it wouldn't! I was at the Sheraton Zagreb last spring when Jeff Sessions was in town for some kind of summit. Not even sure he was at the Sheraton but his entourage was and it was a nuisance. They wouldn't let us enter the hotel at times! Plus the hotel was sold out and I got a horrible suite upgrade with one tiny window. Most of the suite was in the dark.

I have a stay coming up at the JW Hanoi. I would not be pleased to get the Trump suite like I was when I got the Obama suite at the Sheraton Salt Lake City.
Old Feb 26, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
I was at the Hanoi JW a few days ago and there were security staff sweeping the grounds with metal detectors and a dozen or more black SUVs and trucks parked in the lower parking area. Nobody was saying Trump was going to stay there but it was also the only place I saw any American SUVs in the entire city.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by KenTarmac View Post
Yea, the Hanoi Hilton. Many of our service men stayed there during the war including Senator McCain.

I can't think of a better Hanoi hotel for Trump to stay at.
I'm rather amused...I went and checked, and there is, in fact, a Hilton operating in Hanoi (the Hilton Hanoi Opera). There's also a Hilton Garden Inn as well...
Isochronous likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Maybe he's afraid of flying on his North Korean airline.
Do their planes even have the range?

(Also, IIRC the NK leadership inherited Stalin's fear/dislike of flying...and he's got a really nice train, too.)
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:49 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
H
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
No it wouldn't! I was at the Sheraton Zagreb last spring when Jeff Sessions was in town for some kind of summit. Not even sure he was at the Sheraton but his entourage was and it was a nuisance. They wouldn't let us enter the hotel at times! Plus the hotel was sold out and I got a horrible suite upgrade with one tiny window. Most of the suite was in the dark.

I have a stay coming up at the JW Hanoi. I would not be pleased to get the Trump suite like I was when I got the Obama suite at the Sheraton Salt Lake City.
Agreed. I would avoid if at all possible. We were at the Grande Bretagne a few months ago while a German head of State was there. They set the entrance up like an airport with metal detectors and bag checks. We were out and about most of the time so it was only a minor inconvenience, but the hotel was packed and the entourage took up at least one floor which resulted in my first ever SNA fail.

We got the Obama Suite too once! But it was an ordinary room at the Element in Las Vegas with a Presidential Suite plaque on the door because Obama stayed there.

margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Do their planes even have the range?

(Also, IIRC the NK leadership inherited Stalin's fear/dislike of flying...and he's got a really nice train, too.)
China let him fly one of their planes to sin
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic View Post

Do we know where Kim is staying?

OT, but why did he come by train, presumably his own train coming down through mainland China? Didn't he fly to Singapore?
It's something that goes in the family then. His father, Kim Jong Il, the Eternal General Secretary of the Communist Party, for that reason took the train all the way to Moscow for a meeting. Another cause for going by train could be the large storage possibilities, the Moscow train was said to be heavy loaded with fois gras, premium french vintage wines and the best cognacs to be found. Having that available, even I could figure myself doing such a long train ride.
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:32 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

I think the same for me. Like 20-30 years ago (it was in 1996), I was staying in one of the hotel in NY, I think Sheraton (cannot even remember which one) and I saw these people in suite with wired connected to the ear at some corner of the floor. A leak from the housekeeper, she said that Hillary Clinton was on the hotel. Not sure if she stayed at that floor or her entourage.
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:33 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Isn't there a better hotel in Hanoi?

I think there is not much "better" American hotel in town. The better hotel is mostly French
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post

China let him fly one of their planes to sin
I remembered that. SIN is also rather further than Hanoi. Of course, I suspect that having to be carried on a third party's plane to the meeting was...less than a proud moment for them.
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:59 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I'm rather amused...I went and checked, and there is, in fact, a Hilton operating in Hanoi (the Hilton Hanoi Opera). There's also a Hilton Garden Inn as well...
Very tired hotel, but it's a nice location. Popular with Hilton members because points redemption is so low.
​​​​​​
On the other hand, they didn't consider Sofitel? That hotel is beautiful. Guess lots of other factors crossed that off the list?
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I remembered that. SIN is also rather further than Hanoi. Of course, I suspect that having to be carried on a third party's plane to the meeting was...less than a proud moment for them.
Debatable, as he was on the Chinese equivalent of Air Force 1 (that wasn't just any CA airframe that happened to be available). The security & mechanical logistics were very compelling. The quip from Victor Cha (an eminence grise on NK politics) about NK being China's newest province could well have dissuaded Kim from borrowing Chinese state aircraft, again. Alternately, he is deliberately emulating his grandfather's trips to Vietnam for cult reinforcement at home.
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:07 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
They actually cannot receive an upgrade. It would be seen as some sort of corruption....therefore they receive what they pay for.

Now this resulted for me in a very funny event few months ago in Saigon. The Secretary of Defense was staying in the hotel for the last night while we checked in just past midnight. And guess what, the hotel was sold out and they put us in the Presidential Suite. I actually call them prior to my flight once I saw it in the system to let them know my exact check-in time. That was a fun three nights stay! So sometimes it can lead to funny events.

Another one was way years backward at the Sheraton Hua Hin. They were hosting the Asean Summit in the city and the Prime Minister of Singapore as well as the head of Malaysia were staying in the hotel. They arrived the afternoon we left. The last morning, they may have had 10 rooms occupied by tourists only. The fun part is we received the Prime Minister of Singapore suite. For the last 24/48 hours we had a body guard posted in front of our room. They let us kept the suite only till 10am and gave us another room for the day. We had a badge to park in the "media" car park...full security airport style security etc....but my son, at the time below 10 years old had a blast. Hotel and staff were simply amazing with us!

Search this Thread