Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, UK [Master Thread]

Old Feb 22, 19, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

I stayed at Breadsall Priory last week - just two days after the switch to Bonvoy... and there was NO Titanium recognition whatsoever. Very odd.

Anyway, Breadsall Priory l may not be the very first Marriott but it is the oldest in England (parts of it going back to the 13th century) and the place fairly oozes history.

When my wife and I stayed there a few days ago I fully expected sundry ghosts to jump out at us as we rounded any given corner on our way (quite a walk, but a pleasant and interesting one) from our oh-so-comfortable bedroom to an oh-so-satisfying breakfast.

Not that that would have worried us, because if they were in keeping with the rest of the staff there they would have been courteous and friendly to a fault.

Special mention here for Sam on Reception whose local knowledge was really helpful, and lovely Concierge Tony, looking much younger and fitter than his actual years (I forced that information out of him!).

There was nothing ancient about the bedroom or bathroom: we were well taken care of in that respect: all mod cons, and a heating/air con system that actually worked.

The most impressive thing about this place? It has to be the magnificent parkland setting (the hotel/country club boasts not one but two golf courses) amid gorgeous greenery, lakes, streams etc.

Would we return to this sometimes forgotten part of England's East Midlands: Derbyshire, on the edge of the Peak District, with quick and easy access to the likes of Derby, Nottingham, Matlock Bath, Bakewell and some stunning scenery?

In a heartbeat!

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update w/ pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Johnny Rocket likes this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Was breakfast included or was it an option? No benefits for elite status?

Is this location practical for sightseeing? I like driving tours of England and visiting villages and towns.
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Was breakfast included or was it an option? No benefits for elite status?

Is this location practical for sightseeing? I like driving tours of England and visiting villages and towns.
Breakfast was included eventually after mentioning my status but I am just putting it down to teething troubles at the changeover to Bonvoy.

If you look at the map of the UK, the hotel is in Derbyshire and really right in the centre of the country. You could easily visit the north and see towns like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and York which are about an hour to 90 minutes away.

To the south you could reach Birmingham and Shakespeare country in Stratford.

I would say it would be great for a one-nighter or a base to cover the surrounding areas.

Plus you are right next to the cities of Derby, Nottingham and charming Bakewell which are also nice Peak Distracts places to visit.

You could also see some nice stately homes. There is always plenty to do!
Old Feb 24, 19, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Breakfast was included eventually after mentioning my status but I am just putting it down to teething troubles at the changeover to Bonvoy.

If you look at the map of the UK, the hotel is in Derbyshire and really right in the centre of the country. You could easily visit the north and see towns like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and York which are about an hour to 90 minutes away.

To the south you could reach Birmingham and Shakespeare country in Stratford.

I would say it would be great for a one-nighter or a base to cover the surrounding areas.

Plus you are right next to the cities of Derby, Nottingham and charming Bakewell which are also nice Peak Distracts places to visit.

You could also see some nice stately homes. There is always plenty to do!
And at category 4, it's a bargain for an award-redemption.

Is it well-kept or tired? How about the services? 4-star? 5-star?

On the Marriott website the photo gallery indicates this is a resort but I don't see a resort designation. Does anyone know if it's resort-designated? I recall there being another thread on a Marriott property in England claiming to be a resort even though it wasn't designated as such.
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:49 pm

I've stayed here maybe a handful of times and the staff for the most part is great. The hotel could do with a bit of a renovation, but it's kept in pretty good order. The grounds are really nice, restaurant has gone down hill from years past, yes the floors may make a bit of noise, but still a great property. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again when in the area.

And at category 4, it's a bargain for an award-redemption.

On the Marriott website the photo gallery indicates this is a resort but I don't see a resort designation. Does anyone know if it's resort-designated? I recall there being another thread on a Marriott property in England claiming to be a resort even though it wasn't designated as such.
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

As I said in my review at the top of this thread, 'There was nothing ancient about the bedroom or bathroom: we were well taken care of in that respect: all mod cons, and a heating/air con system that actually worked.'
Old Dec 20, 19, 12:09 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN**, Bonvoy Ambassador/LT Titanium
I have just completed my second stay here. If you are staying in the Mews part of the hotel, the tight staircases might present a bit of a challenge with heavy luggage. I found there to be amble parking and the staff to be friendly.

I do not understand really why Marriott in the UK has decided to have the same restaurant at all of its properties. If you travel around a lot like I do, it really makes it monotonous and drives me to eat off property.

There are some things that strike me as behind the times at this hotel, like having a dedicated stand-up informational sheet about the price of telephone calls. It amazes me that people actually still use the in-room phones, particularly at those prices (GBP 2.85 per minute for a call to a mobile). I would be perfectly fine with a single button in-room phone to reach a central hotel number that helps me with all issues, but I have digressed. Otherwise the hotel has more digital features like chatting in the app and the ability to connect wirelessly your devices to the televisions.

Unlike, the Forest of Arden hotel, which I view to be similar, the rooms in this hotel feel amply heated.
Old Dec 20, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
History of the place:
https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotelwebs...%20book_v1.pdf

I got fed up with this property for multiple reasons and quit staying there more than 10 years ago. AC in rooms? That's an improvement.

For alternative dining drive two miles to Morley Hayes. Its a golf course & hotel with two restaurants. Roosters (pub grub) & Dovecote. Both solid.
dgreen12 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: