Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelled reward stay, points not returned

Cancelled reward stay, points not returned

Old Feb 22, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK, UA, AC, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton
Angry Cancelled reward stay, points not returned

In December, I made a reward reservation for February at a European hotel costing 35'000 points. The points were deducted and I received a booking confirmation.

At the end of January, our plans changed and I cancelled the reward booking (14+ days prior to check-in). I received a cancellation confirmation, but my account balance did not increase through a refund. Instead, a line showed up on my account statement saying
Standard Redemption Rate
01/31/2019, Cancelled 0 Rewards
+0 Points
At first, I thought it would just take a few days for my points to return, but when they still weren't there by Feb 6th, I called Marriott. The agent insisted that "the certificate had been returned" and and could not grasp that no points had been re-credited to my account.

Upon insisting, she created an issue ticket and promised a call-back within 6 business days. 12 business days later, I hadn't heard anything and called for a follow-up. This time, the agent "checked with the technical team" and they confirmed that the points had been returned. Except they haven't.

The agent said they refused to do a full account audit and unless I could prove my prior account balance through a screenshot taken at the time, they would not do anything.

I'm dumbstruck. Naturally, I do not have screen shots of my account balance in December but I find this level of service shocking (Titanium member Lifetime Elite yada yada). And I'm still out 35'000 points.

Has anybody experienced something similar? Ideas?
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Experienced the same thing, but I wasn't sure if they points had been added or not. Per recommendation of another flyertalk member, checked old emails to see what my points balance was. It was easier for me since I have not stayed in any Marriott's for the past 4 months.

Would recommend pulling up an old email and find an account balance and start doing some math to see if the points were deposited
airoli and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I'd verify that you actually did order a cert for that award and that the points were deducted. I mention that as Marriott allows award reservations to be made without ordering the award. It can be very easy to forget which reservations one has already ordered certs from and which haven't.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awu25 View Post
Would recommend pulling up an old email and find an account balance
Thanks, but where on which emails is my account balance typically featured? Can't recall seeing it elsewhere than on the website.

I'd verify that you actually did order a cert for that award and that the points were deducted.
While I didn't take screenshots as proof, I distinctively remember my balance being >x00'000 before redeeming and <x00'000 afterwards... and still today.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:56 am

I am afraid I have same problem

I booked some stuff back last June using Spg points even before the Marriott coversion. I checked the details and the note says e certificate required before stay. I am 100% sure points were already deducted. Now I am afraid of canceling unless speaking directly with an agent to make sure they will give me points back. Guessing it is a conversion bug
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:06 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Marriott does not do points refunds like SPG did. SPG would post a line item on the activity log when the points were deducted and another line item later on with the refund credit when the reservation was cancelled.Marriott posts the award stay with the number of points deducted (say “35000 points subtracted”). When the stay is cancelled they do not post a separate line for the cancellation, they just modify the original award posting to “0 points subtracted” and the account balance is credited for the difference.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Do the intervening statements show the "cost" of the stay at the original amount or 0?
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
When the stay is cancelled they do not post a separate line for the cancellation, they just modify the original award posting to “0 points subtracted” and the account balance is credited for the difference.
Except that it wasn't.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP - Do the intervening statements show the "cost" of the stay at the original amount or 0?
Sorry - don't understand what you mean here. I have not received any 'static' account statements from Marriott in years, whether by email or in print. All I can do is go on the website or app and see whatever shows there at that moment.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:30 am

When you link to "Activity" and pull up the last 24 months, do you see the original award request shown as 0 or -35,000? I believe that may be how Marriott treats award cancellations. It may not be shown in current activity, but in the original purchase date.
Old Feb 22, 19, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Except that it wasn't.
What is meant here is the account balance would magically change back to what it would have been if no deduction has been made. Since you have no record of your account balance you don't have a means to prove it one way or the other. Yes, it's frustrating when they don't follow GAAP rules regarding account activity, they are IT people not accountants, but it is what it is. Seeing that years ago, I started maintaining my own account spreadsheet and make sure all expected activity happens and can point back to specific transactions. Many people blindly expect the Marriott records to be 100% transparent, they aren't. If you value your status/points, then take action to monitor/track your activity.
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:18 pm

That's what I was hoping to avoid.
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
When you link to "Activity" and pull up the last 24 months, do you see the original award request shown as 0 or -35,000?
Actually, it isn't shown at all. It's as if the original redemption never happened. Only the +0 points cancellation is in my transaction history.

But awu25's suggestion of looking at older emails for my account balance was a good one: Scrolling all the way to the bottom of my original booking confirmation, I found a record both of the points deducted and the remaining account balance after the redemption. That's as good as it gets for going back to Marriott.

I still can't believe the sorry state of Marriott's IT and customer service that makes me go through all of this - it's a funny notion of "customer loyalty".
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
If it's any consolation, I had a bunch of stuff like this happen a couple of years ago and went back and did a multi-year accounting, which I still do once a year or so. All the cancelations have always worked out, even when I was sure they had not refunded. Like folks said, it just doesn't show up how you would expect. Not saying you didn't get hosed, just a data point.
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've had the same problem. I escalated it to the point of Marriott's executive office. The lady I corresponded with insisted that even though the cancellation showed +0 points and my balance didn't change at all, I received my points back because that's how the system works so it must have.

After a month of back and forth I gave up, assumed Marriott was going to keep my points, cancelled my existing reservations, and have 0 nights to date this year. Tomorrow night's at a Hilton.
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:49 pm

This is what is showing when I cancelled an award reservation. Points did come back immediately. I know that sometimes it appears to not come back until I do a reconciliation but ultimately it’s there. Having said that, not questioning it since there are issues with Marriott IT right now.

Search this Thread