FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Exclusion for stays booked by corporate travel agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1957513-marriott-bonvoy-exclusion-stays-booked-corporate-travel-agencies.html)

Wayne Forsythe Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Exclusion for stays booked by corporate travel agencies

With the recent launch of the new combined Bonvoy rewards program, I had noted what I believe is a very problematic feature for many business travelers as it relates to bookings made through corporate travel agencies. I inquired and received the following reply:

When a stay is booked through anyone other than the hotel or Marriott International itself, the room is not eligible for points or airline credit. No Elite night credit is earned for rooms booked this way.

I would dare say that for many corporate business travelers, we are forced to use company sponsored travel agencies (AMEX, Carlson Waggonlit etc). Booking directly online directly through Marriott is simply not an option. Is anyone else seeing the same restriction? If so I am utterly astounded they would make such a restriction given the implications for so many travelers, many of whom likely are the frequent traveler you think they most look to attract.

cfischer Feb 21, 2019 5:18 pm

No. Sorry, this is neither new nor correct. Only bookings directly with Marriott online or over the phone are eligible for stay credit. WITH THE EXCEPTION of corporate bookings and AMEX plus a few select others. There is absolutely no change with the new program and so far I have received the same points/stay credit as I always have. Not even Marriott would be insane enough to exclude corporate travel bookings ...

myperks Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm

It was also mentioned in a different thread, be careful on selecting on corporate sites like concur or cwt where it may list non-benefit eligible rates before corporate rates because it’s lower...

C17PSGR Feb 21, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30807223)
No. Sorry, this is neither new nor correct. Only bookings directly with Marriott online or over the phone are eligible for stay credit. WITH THE EXCEPTION of corporate bookings and AMEX plus a few select others. There is absolutely no change with the new program and so far I have received the same points/stay credit as I always have. Not even Marriott would be insane enough to exclude corporate travel bookings ...

Not exactly. No changes but should be WITH THE EXCEPTION of SOME corporate bookings ....

There is lots of discussion on here regarding Concur bookings, some of which earn credit and some of which do not, depending on how your company travel department has configured your program. For example, I understand generally a company can set up the corporate travel portal to book hotels through hotels.com in which case you would not earn.

This is not a Marriott thing ... its a corporate travel department thing.

cfischer Feb 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 30807239)
It was also mentioned in a different thread, be careful on selecting on corporate sites like concur or cwt where it may list non-benefit eligible rates before corporate rates because it’s lower...

corporate rates that exclude earning points/stay credit are exceedingly rare. Yes, they do exist ... slightly more than unicorns, but not by much.

cfischer Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30807248)
Not exactly. No changes but should be WITH THE EXCEPTION of SOME corporate bookings ....

There is lots of discussion on here regarding Concur bookings, some of which earn credit and some of which do not, depending on how your company travel department has configured your program. For example, I understand generally a company can set up the corporate travel portal to book hotels through hotels.com in which case you would not earn.

This is not a Marriott thing ... its a corporate travel department thing.

The major players are all fine. But more importantly, there is zero change with the new program ... all the same as usual.

And as you noted, this is not Marriott specific either ... Hilton, IHG ... same problem.

CO-PLAT Feb 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 30807239)

Not necessarily lower.
If I pick the $209 "tripsource" rate, I don't earn any Marriott Rewards (I'm not saying the "B" word) points.
If I pick the $209 non-"tripsource" rate, I do earn Marriott Rewards points.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a0b8c24d9d.png

Often1 Feb 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Don't blame your TA or its compliance software such as Concur. Blame your employer. As a growing number of businesses trade lower rates for benefits, those are reflected in the TA's bookings. If you find a "no benefits" rate through your corporate TA it's a matter to address with your employer. Or not, as you choose.

myperks Feb 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30807250)
corporate rates that exclude earning points/stay credit are exceedingly rare. Yes, they do exist ... slightly more than unicorns, but not by much.

i was more referring to there are (non-corporate) rates lower than corporate rates that appear before corporate rates. But at least on our booking site it says “benefits do not apply”

daniellam Feb 22, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT (Post 30807303)
Not necessarily lower.
If I pick the $209 "tripsource" rate, I don't earn any Marriott Rewards (I'm not saying the "B" word) points.
If I pick the $209 non-"tripsource" rate, I do earn Marriott Rewards points.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a0b8c24d9d.png

If you look carefully, the tripsource rates have "Booking.com" in the description. These rates don't earn nights/points.

The first 3 rates have "(Sabre)" in the description. Any rate booked via a GDS system (Sabre, Amadeus, Travelport etc.) will earn nights/points. For AMEX FHR, all their rates are GDS rates.

CashN May 13, 2019 10:06 am

There have been quite a few issues with Concur lately. My colleague's and I have noticed that nearly all rates have a "Tripsource" designation and several have been told by properties their rates don't qualify for points/stays. Tripsource seems to have come out of nowhere, perhaps in the past it was only on a few rates.

What I don't understand is that these Tripsource designated rates sometimes have a free breakfast but the rate itself is higher than booking directly through Marriott.

Does anyone know if Tripsource designations through Concur are exempt from stays/points?

sely Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am

Not getting point/night credit for stays [booked thru BCD] anymore

Hello-

I have been with my company for 5 years and have always used the same service to book my travel (BCD). Up to this point all stays would credit to my account, but the last two have not. I filed a missing stay request and it was denied claiming no credit because I booked via a 3rd party (I know that is in the T&Cs but have had no such issue until this month). Coincidentally both properties were AC Hotels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get credit for these stays? Or is this the new norm for Marriott that I will have to deal with? How about in the future..would it help to make sure it is my address on the final bill?

To make matters worse---I am taking advantage of the double elite night credit promo---so this is costing me double!

Thanks for the help.

myperks Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sely (Post 31238429)
Hello-

I have been with my company for 5 years and have always used the same service to book my travel (BCD). Up to this point all stays would credit to my account, but the last two have not. I filed a missing stay request and it was denied claiming no credit because I booked via a 3rd party (I know that is in the T&Cs but have had no such issue until this month). Coincidentally both properties were AC Hotels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get credit for these stays? Or is this the new norm for Marriott that I will have to deal with? How about in the future..would it help to make sure it is my address on the final bill?

To make matters worse---I am taking advantage of the double elite night credit promo---so this is costing me double!

Thanks for the help.

did you book your corporate rate?

Saying this because our travel provider now lists everything under the sun including booking.com and Expedia bookings. It shows up first because it cheaper than our corporate rates.

sely Jun 25, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks, myperks. That is exactly the cause. I appreciate the help and now will be more careful what rate I book.

CO-PLAT Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Similar to this

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-agencies.html