FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   North Island, a Luxury Collection Resort, Seychelles [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1957393-north-island-luxury-collection-resort-seychelles-master-thread.html)

escapefromphl Apr 9, 2020 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10 (Post 32280451)
How does this hotel compare against something like Al Maha or the St Regis Maldives? You could get ~4 trips to those hotels for the same amount of points as North Island...is it really that much more glamorous or special?

It certainly looks stunning and is obviously very exclusive. But if you are asking that question, you’re probably better off using your points at other properties. I have come to
that conclusion myself, I would rather have a week at the MKBH or other resort than a night here.

tom-schmitt May 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Booked with points for 4 guests, there were no more additional fees for 3. and 4. person when making a points redemption.

AbuCordoba Sep 22, 2020 10:47 am

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt (Post 32400880)
Booked with points for 4 guests, there were no more additional fees for 3. and 4. person when making a points redemption.

How was it?

mb123 Sep 24, 2020 5:27 am

Traveler Dave Feb 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Don’t see any points nights available through 2022. Cash rates are posted. Are points nights still an option?

TD

mileageking Mar 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave (Post 33049045)
Don’t see any points nights available through 2022. Cash rates are posted. Are points nights still an option?

TD

Did few random searches and do see availability on points. Sample 5 nights June 14-19 2021 2bdrm beachfront villa for 1,830,000 points (or a cool EUR 32,409 taxes incl.)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...31b77e9788.gif

Traveler Dave Mar 23, 2021 12:31 am

Originally Posted by mileageking (Post 33120065)
Did few random searches and do see availability on points. Sample 5 nights June 14-19 2021 2bdrm beachfront villa for 1,830,000 points (or a cool EUR 32,409 taxes incl.)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...31b77e9788.gif

Thanks. Looks like you need to put in exact dates for the search, The “flexible dates” option shows no availability in June. A little annoying but now that I know...but not thinking 5 days is worth over 2M hard earned points?

TD

swag Mar 23, 2021 5:48 am

OMAAT shares a tale of an award booking here.

EyeOnThePoints ... booked a one week stay for 4 people in a two bedroom villa for 2,596,000 points. At some point after booking, EyeOnThePoints got an email from the hotel, stating that an extra $16,940 would be due for the third and fourth guest in the villa. Apparently the hotel has decided that a redemption in a two bedroom villa should only be for two people, and the hotel wants an extra $1,210 per additional guest per night for the privilege of breathing the North Island’s fresh air.

Keep in mind that the hotel isn’t all inclusive, and the hotel will be making money on the additional guests, for food, transfers, activities, and more.

Despite that, Marriott continues to show the award cost to be the same whether you’re staying with two or four guests in the two bedroom villa.
Upon reaching out to Marriott, the Bonvoy member was essentially told that the hotel has the right to do that, despite the fact that this wasn’t in any way disclosed during the booking process or in the email confirmation.

[This despite] "
Extra person charges *are included* on Bonvoy redemptions. It’s right there in 3.2.e.“3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any.”
https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...tion-disaster/

mileageking Mar 23, 2021 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave (Post 33120088)
Thanks. Looks like you need to put in exact dates for the search, The “flexible dates” option shows no availability in June. A little annoying but now that I know...but not thinking 5 days is worth over 2M hard earned points?

TD

I have about 1.5M hard earned points and this property is definitely not for me on points or cash.

hoipolloi Mar 23, 2021 6:33 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 33120381)
OMAAT shares a tale of an award booking here.

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...tion-disaster/

Time to fight back and add some negative reviews on this hotel's TripAdvisor page

mharlan100 Jun 28, 2021 8:39 pm

I would love to hear some feedback on here from someone who actually booked this on points. I see a couple of reviews on TripAdvisor from folks who say they did, including what appears to be the booking referred to in the OMAAT link, or at least had similar problems booking for 4 adults.

It's hard to imagine this being worth 3x-4x the cost of other top tier properties but when you only get 1-2 weeks of vacation per year for a trip of this distance and magnitude and you are sitting on a pile of points, it's definitely something I'm considering.

Intl359Widget Jun 29, 2021 1:07 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi (Post 33120448)
Time to fight back and add some negative reviews on this hotel's TripAdvisor page

TripAdvisor will take down any reviews that were not factual in nature. I.e, if you didn’t have a confirmed reservation then your review is fake in their eyes and they usually side with the property versus the guest in order to generate ad revenue/commissions and so forth.

FlyingFrZ Jun 29, 2021 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mharlan100 (Post 33365797)
I would love to hear some feedback on here from someone who actually booked this on points. I see a couple of reviews on TripAdvisor from folks who say they did, including what appears to be the booking referred to in the OMAAT link, or at least had similar problems booking for 4 adults.

It's hard to imagine this being worth 3x-4x the cost of other top tier properties but when you only get 1-2 weeks of vacation per year for a trip of this distance and magnitude and you are sitting on a pile of points, it's definitely something I'm considering.

On behalf of flyertalk, I nominate you to lead us into the great unknown that is North Island

God speed :D

mharlan100 Jun 29, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ (Post 33367342)
On behalf of flyertalk, I nominate you to lead us into the great unknown that is North Island

God speed :D

Haha! Thanks. Hopefully someone else will take up that honor first!

Since all my travel for next year is pretty much planned already, I probably would not even be able to book until next year for a summer trip in 2023. There will probably be a huge devaluation before then anyway.

I don't have near enough Marriott points and they are less desirable to earn than Amex MR. It would take a ton of MR transfered on a bonus. Not an ideal transfer, but at that redemption value I could maybe justify it if it really was a place we wanted to experience. I'll never pay that much cash for a week.

So I have another year to figure out if I can replace most of those points..

I think a (only slightly) more resonable idea would be to only do 3 or 4 nights at North Island in conjunction with a few nights at another Seychelles resort and maybe several more nights in the Maldives.

In the meantime, I'll ask my wife if she would rather spend 6 nights at North Island or 25 nights at Bora Bora 🤣😂🤣...OK, theres no way I'm doing this! Thanks for talking me out of it!

missedtheconcorde Aug 12, 2021 7:50 am

Booked for 1.83M points for our 5 night honeymoon in early September 2021 - will post a stay report. I would much prefer a month in the Maldives but no way my better half could ever get that kind of time off in the next few years. Property did require that we wired money for the helicopter transfer within a week of booking which I thought was a little strange.