Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

North Island, a Luxury Collection Resort, Seychelles [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
355,000 points/night

Advance deposit of 20 percent on all reservations charged one day after booking and non-refundable.
Helicopter transfer from and back to Mahe required EUR 814 per way.
Print Wikipost

North Island, a Luxury Collection Resort, Seychelles [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If North Island, Luxury Collection -- as the hotel presumably will be called -- is run well and making money they wouldn't be affiliating with Marriott's Luxury Collection.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I guess I'll be the first one to ask: - Do I get to choose free breakfast as my Platinum Amenity since its a LC?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I guess I'll be the first one to ask: - Do I get to choose free breakfast as my Platinum Amenity since its a LC?
Actually, this is one of those properties with all meals and drinks included.

And View from the Wing is reporting that North Island will indeed participate in Marriott Bonvoy:

So joining Luxury Collection alone doesn’t mean participating in Marriott’s loyalty program. What I was waiting on then was to confirm that — yes, indeed — North Island “will be in the program” according to a Marriott spokesperson.

We don’t know exactly what that will mean. I cannot imagine that, though Lucky suggests 10 of the hotel’s 11 properties are ‘standard’, that those rooms will all be bookable on points.

If it will be possible to book the hotel at the the top category 8 points price, it will almost certainly mean redefining room types.

By the way inclusions for all paid guests have to be honored on award nightsand this hotel offers,
  • Breakfasts, lunches, dinners and all alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks plus cocktails (with the exception of high end premium wines and champagnes on the reserve list)
  • All scuba diving courses, scuba diving activities and snorkeling in and around the North Island & Silhouette dive sites
  • All activities including sea kayaking, surfing, stand-up paddle boarding, bicycles, sunset cruises, guided walks and fully equipped gymnasium
  • A complimentary welcome treatment at the Spa
  • Daily complimentary group yoga classes every morning
  • Shore based fishing on North Island and half day fishing trips
  • The use of one “North Island Buggy” per villa for the duration of your stay
  • In-villa wireless Internet connection
  • Laundry
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...y-get-excited/
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

property is telling past guests theyre planning award inventory

clearly not going to cost 100K points considering $9,000 rate

if it works, marriott can sign more very expensive properties

re very expensive, necker island has a little bit of availability via virgin atlantic miles. i enjoyed my paid stay a few years ago. downside of such properties is comparing to regular resorts.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 16, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
property is telling past guests theyre planning award inventory
Of course, they will. They obviously feel they can't compete independently anymore. They need what Marriott International's Luxury Collection brings to the table.

And, of course, Marriott needs them too. Marriott needs more aspirational properties.

Call it a win-win, regardless of whether any of us can ever redeem points for a stay there.

The fact is the whole beach hotel-cum-resort market is super competitive. There are so many destinations with good beaches. Even semi-private or fully private islands aren't as rare or as much of a novelty as they used to be.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:30 pm

Ah, I checked out their website, and their video. Obviously they haven't participated in Marriott yet, because I'm pretty sure Marriott is aware enough not to have a promotional video where "white" is the only color the guests are
(I do think probably the guests there are, for the vast majority, white though)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Of course, they will. They obviously feel they can't compete independently anymore. They need what Marriott International's Luxury Collection brings to the table.

And, of course, Marriott needs them too. Marriott needs more aspirational properties.

Call it a win-win, regardless of whether any of us can ever redeem points for a stay there.

The fact is the whole beach hotel-cum-resort market is super competitive. There are so many destinations with good beaches. Even semi-private or fully private islands aren't as rare or as much of a novelty as they used to be.
Bolding mine.

I actually think North Island needs Marriott here more than Marriott needs North Island. Certainly, Marriott does not NEED more aspirational properties!

Marriott since buying Starwood already has the largest portfolio of aspirational properties of any luxury hotel group in the world. It isn't even close now. Between St Regis and Ritz-Carlton alone, Marriott outstrips Four Seasons, Aman, Oetker, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Rosewood, Banyan Tree, Six Senses, Belmond, etc. And that doesn't even include the Luxury Collection!

Marriott also has Bulgari and Ritz-Carlton Reserve on top of those aspirational property brands participating in Bonvoy.

Marriott will love having North Island as yet another amazing property in its roster. But it doesn't need it. That's almost certainly why North Island's ownership chose Marriott--as it could have chosen Hyatt (too tiny a distribution platform of consumers, let alone those who actually SPEND big money) or Hilton (not even close to the luxury portfolio of Marriott) or Accor (not even close to the luxury portfolio of Marriott) or Kempinski (give me a a break).

Marriott not only has the biggest luxury portfolio and the soft brand Luxury Collection with some incredible properties already, but it also has some very big spenders among its elites, more so than Hyatt, Hilton, and the others. North is counting on those, too.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:54 pm

Hotel appears now in Marriott.com result pages; but has no own website nor can it be booked yet.
But it's a first sign...

https://www.marriott.com/search/hote...rshaCode=SEZLC
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thomasito
Hotel appears now in Marriott.com result pages; but has no own website nor can it be booked yet.
But it's a first sign...

https://www.marriott.com/search/hote...rshaCode=SEZLC
You think this will have peak rates?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bhrubin
You think this will have peak rates?
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...el-seychelles/

What are the chances for any points rates? Just in case I am going to to keep my points balance "healthy". $8k per night is not yet in my budget. I suspect this will need a new category ie 9.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...el-seychelles/

What are the chances for any points rates? Just in case I am going to to keep my points balance "healthy". $8k per night is not yet in my budget. I suspect this will need a new category ie 9.
There are no exception as of now in the Terms & Conditions for any Luxury Collection properties for award stays. If Marriott or North Island wanted exceptions, they could have chosen to make the property a Ritz-Carlton Reserve branded property. So I expect there will be award stays at peak Category 8 rates. How they handle the accommodation for such award stays is another story altogether!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
From that site:
This hotel does not provide shuttle service.

Alternate transportation: Zil Air; fee: 814 EUR (one way) ;reservation required
So transfer is 1628 EUR/person roundtrip, probably included with paid stays like a lot of properties do that Maldivian style. My guess is they will simply take out the meals and activities from point redemptions, and immediately you have the answer on how easily will it fit that single villa into category 8
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kaloz
From that site:

So transfer is 1628 EUR/person roundtrip, probably included with paid stays like a lot of properties do that Maldivian style. My guess is they will simply take out the meals and activities from point redemptions, and immediately you have the answer on how easily will it fit that single villa into category 8
If paid stays get all meals, so do award stays. Just like Al Maha. Been tried and done and reversed already.

My guess is that Marriott will be paying North significantly higher rates for award stays here. But we'll have to wait and see!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Kaloz

From that site:

I believe that 814 euro rate is for the entire helicopter and not per person. I just checked on the actual North island website and found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.