Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Award stay cancelled by hotel for operational resasons. No solution offered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award stay cancelled by hotel for operational resasons. No solution offered

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
Yes, would make a list of alternate hotels AND ask for compensation according to Marriott's Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by luxk69
Yes, would make a list of alternate hotels AND ask for compensation according to Marriott's Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is not applicable in OP’s case. For it to apply the hotel must up and running, a caveat that was inserted in the T&Cs to address specifically these type of issues.
DFWsakp and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is not applicable in OP’s case. For it to apply the hotel must up and running, a caveat that was inserted in the T&Cs to address specifically these type of issues.
What card did you use to book, some cards have coverage even if a points booking? [Im not an expert just raising possibility]

https://www.chase.com/content/chasec...ance-5000.html
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Had booked the Sheraton on points from March 1-7th. Trying to figure out everything now. I have the email of the 2 women who are handling this matter. I sent them an email and they basically just sent me a list of hotels and their prices. Super bummed because everything is like double the price and non-refundable, hence why I used points. I think I'm just coming to accept the fact that it's going to be a much more expensive trip than originally planned.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott
Originally Posted by RafKa
My thoughts exactly. You should ask them to put you up at the JW Marriott. Obviously many people are in your situation, especially with carnaval around the corner so your status relative to other people in the same situation will probably be crucial. If you are indeed traveling during carnival, any decent property will be sold out so I'd say it might be an idea to look at your travel insurance if there's any possibility that you reschedule for next year and ask them to comp you in the form of upgrades, F&B etc... And perhaps the entire stay.

Sorry about that. It's really bad luck!
The JW is completely full. They told me because of my Platinum status, they would try to put me on a waitlist in case there is a cancellation, but I called back today and nobody could tell me if i was on any waitlist of any kind. The problem with the waitlist, is all of the hotels currently are Non-refundable, so if I book a "backup" and then get contacted by JW, I lose money or have 2 hotel rooms.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Realizing this isn't optimal, but if someone is willing to forgo carnaval this year, perhaps just cancel entirely - if airfare was booked on points, those would go back into the account or if paid, change the dates to next year's carnaval or see if the airline will work w/ you (for what might be a smaller hit than going to the other hotels at inflated prices) & book a holiday elsewhere using hotel & airline points.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Realizing this isn't optimal, but if someone is willing to forgo carnaval this year, perhaps just cancel entirely - if airfare was booked on points, those would go back into the account or if paid, change the dates to next year's carnaval or see if the airline will work w/ you (for what might be a smaller hit than going to the other hotels at inflated prices) & book a holiday elsewhere using hotel & airline points.
As much as it's a royal pain to have your well planned Rio carnaval vacation turned upside down, this might be the most reasonable option this close in. All the nice hotels are sold out or very expensive. Even if an alternate is found, but at the inflated prices, it'll make the vacation less enjoyable.

When there is extraordinary demand on hotel rooms, Sheraton Rio has very little leeway to assist in finding alternative lodging.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Back to insurance. Have you carefully reviewed what you will be due. Some policies provide a simple per diem amount for trip disruption such as this. Perhaps that will be enough to cover the upcharge you will suffer.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Cheers.
Unfortunately, for that paid airfare ticket, if that's the case, for most airlines yes you can change the dates of travel but the ticket must be used within one year of initial ticketing so I don't think that is going to work.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by controller1
Unfortunately, for that paid airfare ticket, if that's the case, for most airlines yes you can change the dates of travel but the ticket must be used within one year of initial ticketing so I don't think that is going to work.
I thought it was within 1 year of start of travel. Might be worth checking into. Also, do we know if the OP has travel insurance (some suggested checking that).

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I thought it was within 1 year of start of travel. Might be worth checking into.

Cheers.
I have quite a bit of experience in this area and unfortunately it is 1 year from the ticketing/issuance (at least for AA). That is a disincentive to purchase air tickets 10 months in advance because it drastically reduces one's flexibility in case of a need to change/re-schedule.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Update:
3 calls to the Elite line. Numerous emails to the hotel and social support were of no help in finding a resolution. Also promised many times call backs that never happened.

Now i painfully managed to secure 5 1 night award stays in the dates I needed as availability freed up.
Anyone have experience in getting someone to merge them as one reservation to trigger the free night?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by italian7
Update:
3 calls to the Elite line. Numerous emails to the hotel and social support were of no help in finding a resolution. Also promised many times call backs that never happened.

Now i painfully managed to secure 5 1 night award stays in the dates I needed as availability freed up.
Anyone have experience in getting someone to merge them as one reservation to trigger the free night?

Thanks
Don't bother about combining. Instead call Marriott Customer Service and just ask them to refund you the points for 1 night. Otherwise, they may mess up the reservation and you will be SOL.
Good luck!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Don't bother about combining. Instead call Marriott Customer Service and just ask them to refund you the points for 1 night. Otherwise, they may mess up the reservation and you will be SOL.
Good luck!
Thanks
Do they usually do this?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by italian7

Thanks
Do they usually do this?
I would think not; I've been told that one must book a five night award stay to get the fifth night free, but that was SPG. You might have better luck asking the hotel to combine the separate reservations into one, which you would want to try to do anyway to avoid changing rooms but the risk is that someone could mess it up and you could lose the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.